Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

Both would be bummers.

Although I can only guess since I haven't experienced the first and don't have the second...unless it refers to DH

Edited by pugs223 on 06-20-12 03:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

I am not going to comment. I like this thread, and don't want it to get mopped.

Betty White may have some insight?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to pugs223

I just noticed someone used "attics" instead of "addicts." I thought that was an unusual error.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to johnsusan8

• johnsusan8 Said:
I just noticed someone used "attics" instead of "addicts." I thought that was an unusual error.

I thought it was HILARIOUS.

(But not unusual, given the source.)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • johnsusan8 Said:

I thought it was HILARIOUS.

(But not unusual, given the source.)

Did you see my "response?" I was not laughing at the comment, but the misuse of the word.

I wanted to say, "You are a scrappy place upstairs?"

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

Aw, I missed it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Aw, I missed it.

No. You didn't.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to Bxr-Linda

This world has become infested with "YOUR WELCOME"!!!!!

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to laceyKat

and nobody cares!!! It's EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to laceyKat

Kat, you are preaching to the choir. I hear you! I see it everywhere. Honestly, I fear that it's going to become accepted usage.

A friend pointed me to an article that said people who feel the need to correct grammar and spelling are actually OCD.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm not OCD. I just had an OCD high school English teacher.If you spoke incorrectly (saying ain't, anyways, cuz...), you would get an "x". If you got more than 4, it was 10 minutes of detention for every x.

If he had to use a lot of red ink in the first paragraph of a paper, he'd just stop correcting and make you do it over.

He was my favorite teacher.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to pugs223

My favourite teacher was our English teacher as well. Her passions here Thomas Hardy and Jane Austen. She wasn't exactly OCD, but she taught us the rules well, and expected us to get it right, and so we did. Her opinion was that getting spelling, grammar and punctuation right is the good manners and courtesy of communication. Reading stuff with no punctuation, poor spelling and bad grammar distracts the reader from the point of what is being written.

She pointed out that the classics of literature became and remained the classics because of their excellent use of English and ease of reading. If they had been poorly written, they wouldn't have survived.

I suppose that us striving to "get it right" all the time and grumbling when people don't is a form of OCD. I don't think that's a harmful thing though!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Pinterest has had some great grammar ecards. My new favorite is about "a lot." It says something like, "You wouldn't write abunch or aliitle, so why would you write alot?"

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to 950nancy

Love that!!.... a lot!!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
Kat, you are preaching to the choir. I hear you! I see it everywhere. Honestly, I fear that it's going to become accepted usage.

A friend pointed me to an article that said people who feel the need to correct grammar and spelling are actually OCD.

Maybe....but we love you anyway!!! LOL!!

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to ScrappyMama6

Linda, those words are probably coming out of the mouths of those who cannot spell.

Hey, this is off the subject... but I wondered whatever happened to a girl called The Boyd Bunch. I think some of you were friends with her. I used to see her comments on various threads, but I haven't seen her in ages.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to laceyKat

• laceyKat Said:
Linda, those words are probably coming out of the mouths of those who cannot spell.

Hey, this is off the subject... but I wondered whatever happened to a girl called The Boyd Bunch. I think some of you were friends with her. I used to see her comments on various threads, but I haven't seen her in ages.

I'm pretty sure she choked on all the venom she used to spew.

Or something like that.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to kelseymel

What????????

love your line, though!!!!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to laceyKat

Melissa