Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to scrapbookbuzz

Scrapbookbuzz: cute story! Love the silly little things kids say. My sister's 3 year old likes to make up words. My favorite ones she's come up with:

hugiant! (huge + giant)

and

Pooh-ñata (a Winnie the Pooh piñata!) As in... "Mommy, can I have a Pooh-ñata at my birthday?!"

OH! Speaking of cute things kids say. You'll all get a kick out of this one. This little girl I used to nanny for... when she was three, her mom was singing her a song at bedtime, and her mom sang, "If that mockingbird don't sing..." And Collette stops her and says, "No, Mom! That's not right. It's 'If that mockingbird *DOESN'T* sing!'"

A future Grammar Guru. (She's eight now.)

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to reyasunshine

Oh, and Misti, the reason it's "y'all" is because it's a contraction of "you" and "all," so the apostrophe takes the place of the missing "ou."

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Mix-on the Memories

• Mix-on the Memories Said:
  • Joda Said:
My biggest pet peave is when someone writes scraping when they mean scrapping.

The problem with Scraping and Scrapping is that they both are spelled correctly in spell check.

That's a pet peeve of mine too. The double 'p' gives it a short 'a' sound. That's basic grammar. Wait a minute, is it grammar or spelling?

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to Judy_Scraps

Judy, I'd say both.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Where are all my grammar gurus? This thread has been QUIET since April!

Anyway, here's one of those words that drives me nuts: orientated. This is one that one of our pastors used over and over in his message last Sunday. It was a good message but that misused word, to me, is like several dischords played on the piano at once!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Also this week, I was able explain to someone that "translating" and "interpreting" are two different things.

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars

Here are a couple that have been bugging me recently (may have been mentioned previously, I don't know).

Supposebly and expecially are NOT words - supposedly and especially are.

The correct term is supposed to - not suppose to (same goes for used to!)

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to Twinstars

Oh do NOT get me started..

I don't have any particular errors in mind right now, but wait 5 minutes..

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

Just saw one that bugged me today. Someone sent me an e-mail that read: "Happy Holiday's". Argh!!! 's is possessive. A plain old 's' on the end means plural. Why, oh why, is that so hard??

It also bothers me when people say things like: "whenever I got married", as opposed to "when I got married" That makes it sound like you got married many times. When indicates a point in time, not whenever.

I also have a friend who always types in e-mails that she "should of" done something, instead of "should have" done something.

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to petergabrielfan

I saw a letter "from Santa" today that said, "your" instead of "you're," and "lovlies" instead of "lovelies." If you're going to pretend to be Santa, could you please get someone to proof your letters?! Is that mean? We want our children to know that Santa can spell, right?!

And oh, Sarah! That "whenever" thing! It is SO a Colorado thing. When I lived there, EVERYONE did that! Even my English teacher! My husband still does it (he's VERY good at spelling and grammar), and I remind him that it's incorrect. LOL.

I wish we could do something productive in this thread though... you know, instead of talking about all the mistakes we find.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• reyasunshine Said:

I wish we could do something productive in this thread though... you know, instead of talking about all the mistakes we find.

I just found this thread. I am a "word nerd" and mistakes drive me crazy.

But here is my productive contribution (since I see this mistake in a lot of layouts here)...

For those of you who get confused with the words your and you're, here is an easy way to remember.

You're is the contraction for "you are." YOU'RE LATE FOR DINNER.

Your is a possessive pronoun. YOUR DINNER IS SERVED.

"Your my little angel." IS WRONG!!!
You're (you are) my little angel is CORRECT.

I posted this before I read ALL the responses. I see someone said this same thing above.
Oh well. Apparently, it deserves to be mentioned again.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to apa kabar

• apa kabar Said:
Oooh, I just found this thread.... I've always been fascinated by grammar

Talking about proofreading, in CK June 2007 I saw one LO with this title: Our GEORGOUS Girl! That's pretty bad....

Maybe the girl's name was George. Then it would be a play on words.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Bxr-Linda

Their, they're and there are tough ones too.

And let's not forget its and it's.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
Their, they're and there are tough ones too.

And let's not forget its and it's.

I have a friend I've corrected 1000 times on this. She sometimes has me proof stuff for her and she consistently writes things like "you're birthday" or "your so smart." I don't know why those are so difficult to grasp.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to petergabrielfan

My dh constantly has me proofread his documents. None of the other men in his family can spell, either!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22

I found my home! Now I'm just afraid that I'll make some totally egregious error! I was an English Major in college and just about everyone on my floor had me proofread their papers. I am a punctuation and spelling tyrant!

Scrapper and Scraper get me the most; especially when it's their SCREEN NAME! Did people not learn the basics of spelling or something!??! And I really wish people would simply read what they typed.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:

Scrapper and Scraper get me the most; especially when it's their SCREEN NAME! Did people not learn the basics of spelling or something!??! And I really wish people would simply read what they typed.

Me too!!! There is one person in particular, when I see her screen name, I think she must be a painter (scraper).

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
Where are all my grammar gurus? This thread has been QUIET since April!

Anyway, here's one of those words that drives me nuts: orientated. This is one that one of our pastors used over and over in his message last Sunday. It was a good message but that misused word, to me, is like several dischords played on the piano at once!

This one isn't so cut and dried though as it partly depend who says it and where. Orientated is correct for me in the UK although I realise your pastor isn't here LOL

Quote from Ask Oxford "It really doesn't matter: it's a matter of personal taste. Orientated is currently preferred use in general British use. Oriented is prevalent in technical use, and in the US."

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to scrappercaz

I too wonder why "scrapers" hang out at a scrapping site.
I know someone who says the word "once" replacing the word "wants".
Example: "My husband once to go camping".
I thought she was just had an accent until she sent a text using that exact sentence.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to scrapnread

I knew of someone who used 'are' when they meant 'our'. I guess they sounded the same in lazy speech.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics