Page 88 of 91 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

Love the cute puns for names of shops and businesses - some are really clever.

Hate spelling alterations and made-up words.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Henri Jean

I was just listening to a British craft shopping channel, and the girl said "of course you have to be pre-prepared..." PRE-prepared?
(And what does being "pared" mean, anyway? )

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
I was just listening to a British craft shopping channel, and the girl said "of course you have to be pre-prepared..." PRE-prepared?
(And what does being "pared" mean, anyway? )

Isn't that the Boy Scout motto?
"Always pre-prepared."

Seriously... that's awful!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

We got an email, promoting our local hockey team, "come be apart of the action."

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
We got an email, promoting our local hockey team, "come be apart of the action."

I like that. Alot.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Here is one I'm noticing more and more. People are saying "as far as x" without finishing with "is concerned" or equivalent. So another post on this forum says "...I need some advice as far as wording on the invitations." I'm sitting there mentally waving my hand in a circle, thinking "as far as.... what?"

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
Here is one I'm noticing more and more. People are saying "as far as x" without finishing with "is concerned" or equivalent. So another post on this forum says "...I need some advice as far as wording on the invitations." I'm sitting there mentally waving my hand in a circle, thinking "as far as.... what?"

I've noticed this too, along with other variations thereof.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

I missed it! National Grammar Day was yesterday. Apparently.

http://cakewrecks.squarespace.com/home/2013/3/4/grammar ...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I missed THAT!? Drat!!!!

One of those cakes made me twitch. "Congrats Kevin your'e are now a babydaddy"

I suppose that shouldn't surprise me? Anyone who would use the term "babydaddy"...

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

I know! They all make me laugh though, even while I'm face-palming!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

"Yard sells"

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

I saw that too. I wondered whether it's a regional accent thing?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
I saw that too. I wondered whether it's a regional accent thing?

It is.
But it shouldn't be WRITTEN...

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Maybe she wants to sell her yard?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I have a quick question for all other grammar gurus. It has been trendy to mix upper and lower case on titles for a while now, eg bEauTiFul. I can understand how people want to use up leftover alphas by mixing the case, but not fonts that deliberately use both inappropriately.

Personally, I can't wait to see the back of that trend. I can't even read blogs where the blogger has chosen one of those fonts.

Is it only me?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm a stickler for words being all upper or lower with the exception of the first letter when appropriate and I'm not a fan of mixed fonts so this is not a popular or attractive trend to me.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
I have a quick question for all other grammar gurus. It has been trendy to mix upper and lower case on titles for a while now, eg bEauTiFul. I can understand how people want to use up leftover alphas by mixing the case, but not fonts that deliberately use both inappropriately.

Personally, I can't wait to see the back of that trend. I can't even read blogs where the blogger has chosen one of those fonts.

Is it only me?

I'm not a big fan, either.

Sometimes it can work, depending on the font. The ransom note look is okay, occasionally.

What I've noticed lately is initial capital letter on EVERY word, or the first word of every line. Very often on printed signs.

I realize that most word processing programs will automatically capitalize a word at the beginning of a new line of text, but you can CHANGE that.

For example:

Sale
Today
On fresh-baked
Muffins.

Employees Only

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Another question for you:
My hubby got an email, "let us know what fee's there may be."

I commented on the apostrophe on "fees." He said that on the iPhone, when typing a word ending in S, it will auto-correct to add an apostrophe.
REALLY? So much for the "smart phone."

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Mine doesn't do that. It automatically adds an apostrophe if I type "were" to make it "we're" but only in context. I think it's really clever. It also learns from previous use so if you add unnecessary apostrophes once, it will add them again the next time. I think. I may be wrong on that.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
Mine doesn't do that. It automatically adds an apostrophe if I type "were" to make it "we're" but only in context. I think it's really clever. It also learns from previous use so if you add unnecessary apostrophes once, it will add them again the next time. I think. I may be wrong on that.

So perhaps my husband adds unnecessary apostrophes, and that's what his phone 'learned'??

I despise automatic features. *I* want to be in control!!!

It used to drive me nuts when Microsoft office would pop up with a window, "I see you're typing a letter. Would you like help?" NO! and he11 no!

Page 88 of 91 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics