Page 89 of 92 
Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

My iphone doesn't add an apostrophe is the word ends in "s" either.

You can turn off auto-correct and I probably should because it causes more mistakes than it corrects.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Henri Jean

I love mixing fonts and upper/lowercase letters on titles ... I get way more use out of my Thickers that way

I have a love/hate relationship with autocorrect ... it can be very helpful and very annoying

a FB post to make you cringe:

"My weekend couldn't end with not going to Dave & Busters :)"

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to madmatter

Awwwww Mad, the lovely double negative!

Reading Facebook makes my twitch.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Ah, the hated Microsoft paperclip. I remember it was once voted the most annoying feature in Office. Yes, it was irritating, but there were FAR more infuriating things wrong with Office. At least you could turn the paperclip off. And I did. After I had turned it into a dog and a cat just for entertainment.

Facebook makes me twitch too. I love Grammarly. Correction, I LIKE Grammarly. Thankfully there is no LOVE button on Facebook.

Hang on, that's not a double negative is it? I do believe that in that case they actually got the meaning right, assuming that they meant they liked Dave and Buster's. The missing apostrophe would bug me more.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Ah, the hated Microsoft paperclip. I remember it was once voted the most annoying feature in Office. Yes, it was irritating, but there were FAR more infuriating things wrong with Office. At least you could turn the paperclip off. And I did. After I had turned it into a dog and a cat just for entertainment.

Facebook makes me twitch too. I love Grammarly. Correction, I LIKE Grammarly. Thankfully there is no LOVE button on Facebook.

Hang on, that's not a double negative is it? I do believe that in that case they actually got the meaning right, assuming that they meant they liked Dave and Buster's. The missing apostrophe would bug me more.

Me too! Occasionally, I would wonder why my computer was barking at me.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thank you! I had not heard of Grammarly.

People here are such a wealth of knowledge.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Another blooper from our local high school. In the information for seniors about graduation:

"Failure to return your checkout form will cause you to loose your book deposit refund."

FROM. THE. HIGH. SCHOOL!!!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

They need to "tighten" up there. Boom, boom.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I was just wondering if the "isles of Michaels" is part of the British Isles?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Nope, we don't have Michaels here at all, either surrounded by water OR land.

(Fun fact: we do have a St. Michael's Mount which is an island at high tide and attached to the land by a causeway when the tide is out. Did you know that? Maybe some people might think they sell picture frames there... )

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I just saw it AGAIN.

Do that many people not know the difference between "isles" and "aisles"?

And thank you Rosey for that fun fact!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Since just talked about this, I thought I'd mention.

Ads on Craigslist:

"...paid $650, sale for $400."

"chair for sell"

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Step away from the Craigslist site. I repeat, step away. And keep taking the blood pressure pills.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I do admit Craigslist is a source of MANY 'o grammar errors and language slaughtering.

It's almost a guilty pleasure; a train wreck; I don't want to look...

I also admit that usually it makes me feel like my head is going to explode.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Another comment about Craigslist (ebay too).

When searching, you have to be creative and imagine all the different ways a person may spell something, otherwise, you'll miss many postings.

I'm looking for a folding lawn chair. I found one listed as "chase lounge chair."

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Them pesky lounge chairs, always gettin' away from ya. Jest can't catch 'em.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

The style article in our newspaper says, some will "tell you no wardrobe is complete without a crisp, white-collared shirt."

I admit, I am not a fashionista, but WHAT is a "crisp, white-collared shirt?" I think they meant a white shirt with a collar, but that literally says, "a shirt (any color) with a white collar."

How did that get in the newspaper? Isn't that what an editor is for?

Not really grammar related, but the article goes on to talk about a "vegan leather cropped jacket." Again, I'm no fashionista, but WHAT IS vegan leather?? Does that mean leather not made from an animal? Fake, faux leather (which really isn't leather at all)??

I am so confused.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Gelidy Gelato

That's no excuse for not following the rules!

That would be why it's so easy to read a word incorrectly as a similar word and get the whole meaning completely wrong. The human brain is incredible isn't it?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

My point exactly!
In the example above, the meaning was lost, due to a misplaced dash.

"Let's eat Grandpa."

Page 89 of 92 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics