Username Post: The Grammar Gurus        (Topic#1420201)
Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 12-03-08 03:24 PM
In response to scrapnread

• scrapnread Said:
I too wonder why "scrapers" hang out at a scrapping site.
I know someone who says the word "once" replacing the word "wants".
Example: "My husband once to go camping".
I thought she was just had an accent until she sent a text using that exact sentence.

I can't even believe I just read that. Really? REALLY?! Wow.

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to Ami G

Another one that bugs me is "piece a" instead of "piece of" (ex. piece a cake). I first noticed it with my ex-in-laws and thought maybe it was just the fact that they were not all that bright, but I've since noticed other people saying it.

Also, my co-worker says "pitchers" for pictures . It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Twinstars

Okay, I just ran across this one in another part of the forum.... "learnt." Aghhhhh!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 12-03-08 04:18 PM
In response to Twinstars

• Twinstars Said:
Another one that bugs me is "piece a" instead of "piece of" (ex. piece a cake). I first noticed it with my ex-in-laws and thought maybe it was just the fact that they were not all that bright, but I've since noticed other people saying it.

This one is more a matter of dialect or vernacular than of intelligence, in my opinion. Living in Georgia my whole life, I have heard this more times than I can count. I even say it myself. It's Southern dialect (and perhaps other areas, too) to kind of run the words together like that. It's not that we don't know there are two different words there ("piece of"), it's just that we say it like that. I wouldn't write it like that. I guess it's in a similar vein as someone from Brooklyn saying "Youse guys" or "Wassa madda wichoo", etc.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 12-03-08 04:19 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
Okay, I just ran across this one in another part of the forum.... "learnt." Aghhhhh!

Yep, I saw that, too.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to scrappercaz

There are no such words as, "supposably," and "disorientated." Also, "gangrene" is not "gang green." And "carpal tunnel" is not spelled "car pool tunnel."

Thought it was time for a revival!

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to reyasunshine

• reyasunshine Said:
Proofreading in your blood? Do you spot typos in layouts, menus, books, sb mags, websites, etc? Then this place is for you!

And if you *need* any of your LOs edited, just post it here, and any one of us would be more than willing to help you out on grammar and spelling!

Ooo, I just spotted this thread for the first time. I am a compulsive grammar nut, I get wildly irritated with "between you and I", "rediculous", and other such things. I think it comes from reading at a young age and having a mother who was an magazine editor for most of my childhood.

Count me in!

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
  • Lycosparks Said:
Something I keep seeing over and over is 'loose' in place of 'lose' and it drives me crazy!

That one bugs me too. Unfortunately it's a pretty common misspelling.

I know I am way late commenting on this, but as an academic advisor, one of the ones that drives me nuts is "I'm looking for advise".

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
There are no such words as, "supposably," and "disorientated." Also, "gangrene" is not "gang green." And "carpal tunnel" is not spelled "car pool tunnel."

Thought it was time for a revival!

Car pool tunnel.

On another internet forum altogether, I know one woman who always uses "ideal" for "idea"...as in, that's a great ideal!

She also says next store for next door.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to celstin0406

I just noticed someone here say something like, "I can get it anywhere that sales scrapbook supplies."
While I realize some people pronounce sells like sales, this is is WRONG!!

The advise vs. advice bothers me too. It's really not that hard. Look at the word!! I think most people know how to spell ice.

My teenage daughter (who unfortunately is horrible at spelling) was looking online for ideas for decorating her room. She was frustrated she couldn't find anything; I saw her search was for "funk sway."

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I saw on craigslist recently someone describing a puppy (there was a photo) as 'bremel.' I feel I know a bit about dogs, but could not figure out what the *&^%$ bremel was! I finally realized, they must have meant brindle.

Mommy2EMB
Veteran
Mommy2EMB
In response to Bxr-Linda

Oh I'm happy to have found this one!! I am a medical transcriptionist and can't help but proofread everything I read! One that really bugs me is when people say diabetis instead of diabetes...ugh for some reason that one just bothers me!!

Mommy2EMB
Veteran
Mommy2EMB
In response to Mommy2EMB

Oh and one that I've seen one lady type/say in an E-mail and in conversation, instead of "this morning" she says "the smorning". HA!!

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Bxr-Linda

Funk sway, that's cute! But I kinda have more sympathy for it when it's another language altogether!

But for the lady who writes "the smorning", come on!!! Surely you've seen the words "this" and "morning" written out before.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• celstin0406 Said:
Funk sway, that's cute! But I kinda have more sympathy for it when it's another language altogether!

But for the lady who writes "the smorning", come on!!! Surely you've seen the words "this" and "morning" written out before.

smorning!?

I saw someone here talk about a sammich. It took me a minute... oh, okay, you mean two slices of bread and something in between.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:

smorning!?

I saw someone here talk about a sammich. It took me a minute... oh, okay, you mean two slices of bread and something in between.

Well, I dunno if they were just using it as a colloquialism (such as "I dunno"), which I do fairly frequently. I do it to make my written words sound a bit more like spoken words, or to be funny and tongue-in-cheek.

I also like to use "mebbe", "prolly" and "nekkid" because they make me laugh

Mommy2EMB
Veteran
Mommy2EMB

• celstin0406 Said:

Ahh prolly to me is like nails down a chalkboard!! LOL

Wordweaver
Guru
Wordweaver
In response to Mommy2EMB

xxx

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to Mommy2EMB

• Mommy2EMB Said:
  • celstin0406 Said:

Ahh prolly to me is like nails down a chalkboard!! LOL

Sorry, will try to avoid that and other such things in this thread at least. Well, you have to give me "nekkid", it's so darn cute when referencing nekkid babies! Nekkid baby butts in particular.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

I'm not great at grammar, however, "to" & "too" used wrong makes me cringe!
Too is for also.
I will go to the store. John will go too!

My problem is punctuation!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics