Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: do you tip after a massage?        (Topic#1422713)
jessiebabie824
Mayor
jessiebabie824

also, how much? I am going today. Any tips or anything to know also?

Puppydog Jammies
Diva
Puppydog Jammies
In response to jessiebabie824

i don't. but i prolly should cause i know the masseuse (sp?) doesn't get all of the money that we pay

NittanyLionGirl
Pro
NittanyLionGirl
In response to jessiebabie824

I've never gotten one, but I paid for my boyfriend to get one once. I put $5 as a tip on my credit card. The receptionist asked me if I wanted to leave a tip, so I figured it was customary. The massage was about $30, if I remember correctly, so it wasn't quite 20 percent.

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn
In response to NittanyLionGirl

i dont cause the guy that does mine comes to my house and all the moolah goes to him. I do offer him beverages, he is great and soo convenient

needmortimetoscrap
Angel
needmortimetoscrap
In response to riverroadrn

I go for a massage once a month and always tip 20%. The woman I go to owns the "shop" and I've been going to her for more than 6 years. I also frequently give gift certificates to family members and friends and always include the tip with the cost of the certificate.

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 06-09-07 08:16 AM
In response to needmortimetoscrap

Never! I have two thoughts on this. Massaging, at least near where I live, it very tricky industry. There are a lot of people who do more than they should, and they do more based on the tip they get.

Second, The masseuse pays for the space that she rents and that is it. She keeps the cost of the message, that she sets the price for by the way! Plus if they work in an office, like a chiropractors office they get an hourly pay as well. They set their price, they choose the space that they will rent and all else is profit.

I personally do not tip the masseuse. JMO

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Bran

I used to work as a masseuse, employed in beauty salons, renting my own space in a salon and self employed, visiting clients. When I was an employee tips were very much appreciated because the wages can be real low and a good massage is hard work. When I rented I did have less overheads but a tip was still appreciated - I still had to buy my equipment, supplies etc, but when I was self employed I didn't expect a tip as I had set my own prices to cover my costs. However when someone does give a decent tip it always stands them in good stead for their next visit and if it's a mean amount it's almost an insult so I'd rather they didn't bother.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to scrappercaz

I always tip. Usually it is 20%. A bit more if they went out of their way, either in scheduling (coming in early or staying late, or didn't charge me for a more expensive massage. I tip masseuse, pedicurist, hair dresser, and esthetician the same.

A friend owns a spa and says you aren't supposed to tip the owner, but I can't bring myself to not tip her!

scrappinmonkey
Queen
scrappinmonkey
In response to Bellanca

My friend is a masseuse, TIP! They do work for them!

flyingwaitress
Pro
flyingwaitress
In response to scrappinmonkey

Always! 20%. Always!

scrapandy
Diva
scrapandy
In response to flyingwaitress

Yes, definitely. I tip 20% for massages/facials/manicure s/pedicures.

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn
In response to scrapandy

And I am sorry if I sounded stingy, this guy is the only one I dont tip, like salon folks and waitresses, Yes I tip.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to riverroadrn

Yes, I tip. 15% if I felt it was a bad effort, 20% if a good effort and more if they went out of their way to do something extra. I usually have the massuse (?) come to me at home. So there is no overhead or hour wages, but they have to deal with the space provided. LOVE my massages!

light
light 
Mayor
light
  • light on 06-09-07 05:44 PM
In response to NoirCat

My DH does my massages and yes he gets his tip.

LLLSTRIC
Guru
LLLSTRIC
In response to NoirCat

Oh...I love my massages....I cannot afford them, but every holiday or 'giving' occasion that comes around, that is ALL I ask for....a gift certificate....even if it is for $5.00, I can put them together and finally schedule a massage....I always tip...it varies every trip...based on what I can afford...(I have 4 kids, hubby is the only one working..I am on disability)....Gosh...I hope she isn't offended when it isn't so much...I really do appreciate her services.....and look forward to them immensly....

*AH
*AH 
Veteran
*AH
  • *AH on 06-10-07 11:09 AM
In response to LLLSTRIC

yeah, i would leave a tip. i feel cheap if i dont

latsyrk
Tenant
latsyrk
In response to *AH

I have my SIL do mine She's going to UCMT and they're not suppose to be getting paid to do a massage, they're not even suppose to accept tips! When she comes over to "practice" she's welcomed to the fridge and the baked yummies I have. So she doesn't get much.
When I go to a massage school to get one, I haven't given a tip, I probably should though..

doriscraps
Mayor
doriscraps
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
I always tip. Usually it is 20%. A bit more if they went out of their way, either in scheduling (coming in early or staying late, or didn't charge me for a more expensive massage. I tip masseuse, pedicurist, hair dresser, and esthetician the same.

A friend owns a spa and says you aren't supposed to tip the owner, but I can't bring myself to not tip her!

Same here...

VeronicaSmith
Tenant
VeronicaSmith
In response to doriscraps

I've only ever had one and it was a gift from my dh and the tip was included, I made sure to ask him before I went so I would know wether or not I needed money for a tip.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to VeronicaSmith

I always tip 20%

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics