Page 1 of 132 
Username Post: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Lovers Unite        (Topic#1433285)
Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

We're called all sorts of names for loving this particular genre. I find this group to be more intelligent than normal, more friendly and accepting of others and just more fun. And I'm not saying that just because I belong to this wonderful group.

Also as a Christian, I used to be a closet Sci-Fi fan. No more. I'm out in the light.

So what's your favorite Sci-fi show, movie or book?

Currently my favorite series is Firefly. Recently discovered it. Have to say for the book it might be "Warlock In Spite of Himself" by Cristopher Stasheff but this changes alot.

Edited by Vivian loves BLING on 10-04-08 11:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Fortunes Fool
Governor
Fortunes Fool
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I'm a Sci-Fi Lover as well. I don't have any strong favorites as of yet...simply enjoy it all.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Fortunes Fool

You know I am here Viv!

My favorite shows are Farscape and Firefly. These are Followed by Stargate Sg1, the Star Treks, Star Wars and many many more.
My favorite Sci-Fi book is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

I also love cheesy Sci-fi like The Outer Limits and Twilight Zone both the old and the newer ones.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

Most likely Firefly is one of my favorites. Farscape is very close behind it. For a few seasons I refused to get into Stargate when my husband got into it because Farscape had been cancelled and somewhat replaced by Stargate.

I tend to prefer Sci-Fi shows, or more mainstream shows with hints of magical realism, to other shows. The Office is a rare exception.

I'm new to Dr. Who with this current series, I adore it but they are loosing me with the constant expendable woman sidekick. I am told by shocked die hard Dr. Who fans that this has always been the case. Just because it's always done doesn't make it right...

I think Battlestar Gallactica is some of the best TV I've ever seen. I think most of the individual best hours of TV I've ever spent have almost all been with Sci-fi shows, though. I appreciate that the people we think we should root for as the good guys aren't as good as we would like.

I tend to read more fantasy than sci-fi.

Love the topic!

Diva
In response to Bellanca

Definitely a Browncoat here -- my license plate frame says "This is a cleverly disguised Firefly Class Transport Ship."

A little twitchy about them bringing Farscape back in webisodes -- it just won't be the same, darnit. Also unhappy about the end of SG-1, though I've started getting into Atlantis finally by watching from the beginning of Season 1.

Absolutely thrilled with Eureka, especially it getting a second season. The characters are strong, the sci-fi is strong, with enough happy realism to keep suspension of disbelief negligible to worry about.

The minute my husband found out about the special anniversary edition of Blade Runner that's coming out this winter, he promptly pre-ordered it for me, knowing I'd have a fit and want it.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Bellanca

I've joined NetFlix to watch all the sci-fi shows I've missed out on. I'm sci-fi channel deprived.

First saw a bunch of people riding horses like crazy, going fast then saw them running into a spaceship. Then I was hooked on Firefly. Caught part of it at my dd's one day. Then got the DVDs and the movie.

I'm still in season one of the new Dr. Whos. I'm not too concerned about them switching female leads. That's okay because they also used to change out the Doctors, too. They'd regenerate and use an different actor. Tom Baker was my favorite from the old series.

NetFlix has skipped over Farscape in the middle of season 3 on me. Very alien. Odd to watch a show with only one human.

Love all things to do with hyperspace (which is basically any space that's more than 3D). I'm actually trying to understand all the current scientific theories about hyperspace/wormholes, etc.

Did you know it's been theorized that Jesus is multidimensional? That's how He entered a room without using either windows or doors. Also explains the "rapture" as believers are phased into another dimension.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to PookasCrayon

We're pretty sure we passed a Browncoat car in the parking lot this weekend. There was a large number of plastic dinosaurs affixed to the top of the dashboard.

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
We're pretty sure we passed a Browncoat car in the parking lot this weekend. There was a large number of plastic dinosaurs affixed to the top of the dashboard.

Oh man, that is awesome!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to PookasCrayon

• PookasCrayon Said:
Definitely a Browncoat here -- my license plate frame says "This is a cleverly disguised Firefly Class Transport Ship."

A little twitchy about them bringing Farscape back in webisodes -- it just won't be the same, darnit. Also unhappy about the end of SG-1, though I've started getting into Atlantis finally by watching from the beginning of Season 1.

Absolutely thrilled with Eureka, especially it getting a second season. The characters are strong, the sci-fi is strong, with enough happy realism to keep suspension of disbelief negligible to worry about.

The minute my husband found out about the special anniversary edition of Blade Runner that's coming out this winter, he promptly pre-ordered it for me, knowing I'd have a fit and want it.

Love that bumper sticker. I'll get Eureka eventually. It's in my NetFlix queue, along with others listed here already.

I had originally refused to watch Battlestar Galactica because they casted a female for Starbuck. But it's getting really great reviews and have been recommended to me by several people.

Not happy with how they ended SG1, either but it left room for their movie. Never ends. I've got the entire show on DVD and can't wait for the Atlantis season 3 to come out next month.

I recently discovered Starhunter and Starhunter 2300. Neither made it past their first season but both are really interesting in their basis on hyperspace travel. Besides that whole alien implanting DNA into humans for hyperspace travel, I think this is the closest to what real hyperspace travel will look like. No need for anti-matter or negative energy or ZPMs.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to darksideme

• JoyfulAnna Said:
  • Bellanca Said:

Oh man, that is awesome!

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

Along the lines of Jesus being multi-dimensional (and wow, don't get to start a sentence like that too often...) I once heard a theory that ghosts were actual largely from a parallel universe that was just sort of behind us in time - the person giving this possible theory thought it would go far into explaining why so many ghosts are reported to wear clothing from a relatively similar time period.

I know the Dr.s get replaced over the years, but nearly every season? I don't like investing my energy into really liking a character to find out that she'll be replaced next year by the next girl. I was furious when they replaced the first Doctor with that skinny little guy - it has taken me til now to fully appreciate him.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

That gives me an ideas for all of ds's old dino collection!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Bellanca

I'm not sure what my favorite visual Sci-Fi is, but I think my favorite all time Sci-Fi book is I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. My 5th grade English teacher read that to us in class, and I had to go out and buy my own copy. I reread it every couple of years.

I got started young- Dad got me hooked on Star Trek when I was three and my first movie in the theater was Star Wars. Best part: passing it on to my daughter. She ditched spending time with me because Enterprise was on and she always watches that with her dad.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

Hmmm...what can I do with these left over dinosaurs and a glue dot stash.....

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
Along the lines of Jesus being multi-dimensional (and wow, don't get to start a sentence like that too often...) I once heard a theory that ghosts were actual largely from a parallel universe that was just sort of behind us in time - the person giving this possible theory thought it would go far into explaining why so many ghosts are reported to wear clothing from a relatively similar time period.

I know the Dr.s get replaced over the years, but nearly every season? I don't like investing my energy into really liking a character to find out that she'll be replaced next year by the next girl. I was furious when they replaced the first Doctor with that skinny little guy - it has taken me til now to fully appreciate him.

That may have been my post about ghosts. I do believe the soul goes through space/time to the White Throne Judgement. So I can't accept that they're haunting anywhere. That's just the way my brain works things out.

So if it's a time displacement, it would explain why people would see the ghosts perform the same acts over and over, like walking up the stairs and disappearing. Frankly, I'd find that very boring as a ghost. But if it was a "repeating event" that would make much more sense.

For those encounters where there's true interactions, then those could be where the veil is thinner and those people think they're seeing a ghost or demon or spirit and either runs or fights.

I made a crack about telling "ghosts" from the past to "buy Microsoft" and to ask any futuristic ghost on what to buy.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
Hmmm...what can I do with these left over dinosaurs and a glue dot stash.....

My husband's favorite Firefly scene is that one. Everytime we go into a toy store and there are bins of toy dinos available, he does the scene. He taught it to or daughter. When Quickutz came out with the dino dies, I made him a sign using die cuts and the script. He got a set of toy dinos for Christmas.

"Mine is an evil laugh!"

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Sorry, Bellanca, I reread your post more closely. The parallel universe theory for ghosts? Hmmm. Could be that doesn't sit well for me. Could be bleed overs are like the current theory that gravity is a bleed over from the 10 or 11th dimension?

Anyone here familiar with Hawkin's Paradox? It's been on the Science Channel alot lately.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Gotta go out. Be back later tonight!

I'm hoping that I'll find other jems that I've missed by not having the sci-fi channel or books/authors I've not read.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

I am going to put Eureka on my Netflix queue. I was Sci-Fi channel deprived until recently.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

I'm not up to date on my wormhole theory. I can demonstrate the idea with a string, but thats about it. I'm not wedded to the ghost theory, either. It's the only one I've come across that surprised me. I don't enjoy the Ghost Hunter type shows that are so prevalent now, so we have completely exhausted my depth on the subject

Anybody out there enjoy Stargate more once Vala joined the cast? Or is just me and my Farscape thing? (We refer to the co-mingling of casts as Fargate in our house.)

The webisodes of Farscape interest me because Ben Browder will have a hand in the making of them. I've always found the episodes of sci-fi shows written by an actor or for the fans to be my favorites even if they are generally panned by others. Even though I thought Ben Browder's Farscape episode was not that great, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Every great Sci-Fi show has to have at least a couple of Holo-deck episodes to keep the gods happy, I suspect. Oh, and Ground Hog Day episodes...(Buffy's and Stargate's GHD episodes are my favorites)

Page 1 of 132 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics