Page 2 of 132 
Username Post: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Lovers Unite        (Topic#1433285)
Diva
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Ian Douglas, the Heritage Trilogy (and there's a second trilogy out now as well). VERY nice sci-fi, based around the Marine Corp.

I've read (and own) literally everything by William Gibson except the newest release. Neuromancer is a prime classic. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon (while not really sci-fi, is very tech oriented and wonderful) are must reads.

Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are a wonderful new find. I've gotten hooked on them, thanks to my library. Very cyberpunk, total action, good stuff.

Asimov and Heinlein are of course essentials.

However, on the difficult to find, but WELL worth the search, list ....

John Shirley, A Song Called Youth trilogy. These Are Absolutely Fabulous. Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona are mindblowingly fabulous, especially if you're into serious hard sci-fi.

Diva
In response to Bellanca

Oh, once Claudia Black joined Ben Browder on SG-1, I DVRd Every Single Episode. I adore her anyway, but having those two together again -- heaven!

And Vala was just classic. I ended up getting the giggles almost every episode because of something that character said or did.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to Bellanca

I love Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi. They use cameras for hard evidince. NO devining rods or pscyichs.

I used to watch Star Trek The next generation every day after school. I think its my fave. just because it has a special place in my heart from that time in my life.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
I'm not up to date on my wormhole theory. I can demonstrate the idea with a string, but thats about it. I'm not wedded to the ghost theory, either. It's the only one I've come across that surprised me. I don't enjoy the Ghost Hunter type shows that are so prevalent now, so we have completely exhausted my depth on the subject

Anybody out there enjoy Stargate more once Vala joined the cast? Or is just me and my Farscape thing? (We refer to the co-mingling of casts as Fargate in our house.)

The webisodes of Farscape interest me because Ben Browder will have a hand in the making of them. I've always found the episodes of sci-fi shows written by an actor or for the fans to be my favorites even if they are generally panned by others. Even though I thought Ben Browder's Farscape episode was not that great, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Every great Sci-Fi show has to have at least a couple of Holo-deck episodes to keep the gods happy, I suspect. Oh, and Ground Hog Day episodes...(Buffy's and Stargate's GHD episodes are my favorites)

I really enjoyed Stargate a lot more when Vala joined the cast. Of course I was still getting over Farscape being over(I started watching it when PK Wars came out, so I was a bit late in the game) so I think that had something to do with it.

"Window Of Opportunity" is my all-time favorite Stargate episode too.

So they are making Farscape webisodes for sure? Will it star the same actors?

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to PookasCrayon

• PookasCrayon Said:
Oh, once Claudia Black joined Ben Browder on SG-1, I DVRd Every Single Episode. I adore her anyway, but having those two together again -- heaven!

And Vala was just classic. I ended up getting the giggles almost every episode because of something that character said or did.

I have a girl crush on Vala. She is so cute!

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to darksideme

Vala is on my husband's List. Browder and Shanks are on mine. I like to think of it as my Fargate sandwich...

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
Vala is on my husband's List. Browder and Shanks are on mine. I like to think of it as my Fargate sandwich...

My DH and John Crichton are so alike it is scary. They even look a bit similar.

NikkilovesWoody
Tenant
NikkilovesWoody

I used to be one of those people who thought sci-fi folks were weird...until I started reading,watching sci-fi stuff. Now Im hooked and proudly say Im a sci-fi weirdo.

Diva
In response to NikkilovesWoody

Some slightly obscure, but classic Sci-Fi video titles.

Dark City (okay, not obscure to total geeks).
City of Lost Children (FREAK-Y)
Cube
Equilibrium (GUN KATA!)
Solaris (the Russian answer to 2001, subtitled)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (young David Bowie, yum)
Soylent Green
12 Monkeys
Brazil
Strange Days

Anime

Ergo Proxy (EXCELLENT cyberpunk sci-fi anime)
A Wind Named Amnesia
Serial Experiments Lain (... my brain is still melting)
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Akira

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

Thank you for that list PookasCrayon.

The only one I have seen out of that list is 12 Monkeys.

Diva

Heh, I own almost all of them. I've got an entire DVD rack full of nothing but Sci-Fi titles.

BTW, Browncoats -- don't forget, the new Special Edition of Serenity has just been released!

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

Oh wait, I didn't see Equilibrium the first time I read it. That is an excellent movie, on my top 10 faves.

JoanE
JoanE 
Idol
JoanE
  • JoanE on 08-28-07 04:46 PM

Stargate lover here. I have been a fan since the orginal movie and have watched all several times. Also enjoy firefly. Found Farscape after it had started and need to get around to seeing it from the beginning.
Favorite Book The Giver by Lois Lowery. Also love the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, it is both sci-fi and fantasy.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:

Anybody out there enjoy Stargate more once Vala joined the cast? Or is just me and my Farscape thing? (We refer to the co-mingling of casts as Fargate in our house.)

The webisodes of Farscape interest me because Ben Browder will have a hand in the making of them. I've always found the episodes of sci-fi shows written by an actor or for the fans to be my favorites even if they are generally panned by others. Even though I thought Ben Browder's Farscape episode was not that great, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Every great Sci-Fi show has to have at least a couple of Holo-deck episodes to keep the gods happy, I suspect. Oh, and Ground Hog Day episodes...(Buffy's and Stargate's GHD episodes are my favorites)

I loved the Vala character since the firs episode she was on. Had Daniel all nervous "flattering but disturbing." Lots of humor and surprises with her. Childlike and serious.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• JoyfulAnna Said:
  • PookasCrayon Said:

I have a girl crush on Vala. She is so cute!

Enough of this girl crush, okay?

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• PookasCrayon Said:
Ian Douglas, the Heritage Trilogy (and there's a second trilogy out now as well). VERY nice sci-fi, based around the Marine Corp.

I've read (and own) literally everything by William Gibson except the newest release. Neuromancer is a prime classic. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon (while not really sci-fi, is very tech oriented and wonderful) are must reads.

Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are a wonderful new find. I've gotten hooked on them, thanks to my library. Very cyberpunk, total action, good stuff.

John Shirley, A Song Called Youth trilogy. These Are Absolutely Fabulous. Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona are mindblowingly fabulous, especially if you're into serious hard sci-fi.

This is the first time I think this has happened but I'm not familiar with any of these! Nope, not a single one. I'll have to check each out as I get the opportunity.

Am I getting old?

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Vivian loves BLING

• Lady Vivian Said:
  • PookasCrayon Said:

This is the first time I think this has happened but I'm not familiar with any of these! Nope, not a single one. I'll have to check each out as I get the opportunity.

Am I getting old?

I have not heard of any of those either

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:

Oh, I likes this sammich!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to NikkilovesWoody

• NikkilovesWoody Said:
I used to be one of those people who thought sci-fi folks were weird...until I started reading,watching sci-fi stuff. Now Im hooked and proudly say Im a sci-fi weirdo.

"Why be normal?," I ask! What's the point? I choose to like what I like and not be ashamed. I'm a sci-fi nerd and proud of it!

I think it does take a certain mentality to enjoy this genre. A certain good mentality.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• PookasCrayon Said:
Some slightly obscure, but classic Sci-Fi video titles.

Dark City (okay, not obscure to total geeks).
City of Lost Children (FREAK-Y)
Cube
Equilibrium (GUN KATA!)
Solaris (the Russian answer to 2001, subtitled)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (young David Bowie, yum)
Soylent Green

12 Monkeys
Brazil
Strange Days

Anime

Ergo Proxy (EXCELLENT cyberpunk sci-fi anime)
A Wind Named Amnesia
Serial Experiments Lain (... my brain is still melting)
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Battle Angel Alita
Akira

I bolded what I've seen. Was thinking of all the Bowie movies. Love him in Labyrinth! Never watched any of his vampire movies, though. I'm not much into horror even in sci-fi settings.

From the above list, I've got more stuff to add to my NetFlix queue.

Page 2 of 132 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics