Page 3 of 132 
Username Post: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Lovers Unite        (Topic#1433285)
darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Vivian loves BLING

• Lady Vivian Said:
  • NikkilovesWoody Said:
I used to be one of those people who thought sci-fi folks were weird...until I started reading,watching sci-fi stuff. Now Im hooked and proudly say Im a sci-fi weirdo.

"Why be normal?," I ask! What's the point? I choose to like what I like and not be ashamed. I'm a sci-fi nerd and proud of it!

I think it does take a certain mentality to enjoy this genre. A certain good mentality.

A mentality like this and

Only a couple years ago did I finally admit to myself how much I thorougly enjoy this stuff. I grew up watching Star Trek and Twilight Zone with my dad, but I kept that a secret because I assured myself I was "cooler" than that. Now I just don't care! I like what I like and if that makes me a little nerdy I am just fine with that.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to PookasCrayon

• PookasCrayon Said:
Heh, I own almost all of them. I've got an entire DVD rack full of nothing but Sci-Fi titles.

BTW, Browncoats -- don't forget, the new Special Edition of Serenity has just been released!

Moxiegirl (Liz) got that new edition. She can tell you exactly what's new on there.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to JoanE

• JoanE Said:
Stargate lover here. I have been a fan since the orginal movie and have watched all several times. Also enjoy firefly. Found Farscape after it had started and need to get around to seeing it from the beginning.
Favorite Book The Giver by Lois Lowery. Also love the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, it is both sci-fi and fantasy.

I'm in the middle of season 3 of Farscape when NetFlix jumped down to Doctor Who. ??? Hope to get back to Farscape after I finish Starhunter.

I'm a big time Browncoat!

I've read the Pern books several times. Love McCaffrey. Have any of you read "No One Noticed the Cat" by Anne McCaffrey? Cool and easy novella.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

Farscape is definitely something that has to be watched in order. The third season may be my favorite. Frelling SCI FI channel used to show reruns out of order and then started doing the split seasons (half in summer half in winter) on Farscape - it was almost impossible to follow it if you came in late.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Good night, ya! Love learning about sci-fi stuff I didn't know about. So cool. Hope to learn even more new stuff.

Oh, I'm really into anything show to do with time travel and/or hyperspace (wormholes, etc.). Any of ya know of shows/movies not already mentioned?

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I've got a friend that has all the seasons of Farscape but 3. So I'm waiting to view those from NetFlix.

Diva
In response to darksideme

• JoyfulAnna Said:
  • Lady Vivian Said:
  • PookasCrayon Said:
Ian Douglas, the Heritage Trilogy (and there's a second trilogy out now as well). VERY nice sci-fi, based around the Marine Corp.

I've read (and own) literally everything by William Gibson except the newest release. Neuromancer is a prime classic. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon (while not really sci-fi, is very tech oriented and wonderful) are must reads.

Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are a wonderful new find. I've gotten hooked on them, thanks to my library. Very cyberpunk, total action, good stuff.

Asimov and Heinlein are of course essentials.

However, on the difficult to find, but WELL worth the search, list ....

John Shirley, A Song Called Youth trilogy. These Are Absolutely Fabulous. Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona are mindblowingly fabulous, especially if you're into serious hard sci-fi.

This is the first time I think this has happened but I'm not familiar with any of these! Nope, not a single one. I'll have to check each out as I get the opportunity.

Am I getting old?

I have not heard of any of those either

I'm a major nerd when it comes to reading. I'll devour anything in an interesting genre, and I read uncomfortably fast, so I go through a LOT of books.

Some of those listed are actually on the older side, like John Shirley, Asimov, Heinlein, and Gibson. I definitely recommend checking them out.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

Is Red Dwarf any good? My DH read the book and really enjoyed it. I have not seen the series at all.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

• PookasCrayon Said:
  • JoyfulAnna Said:
  • Lady Vivian Said:
  • PookasCrayon Said:
Ian Douglas, the Heritage Trilogy (and there's a second trilogy out now as well). VERY nice sci-fi, based around the Marine Corp.

I've read (and own) literally everything by William Gibson except the newest release. Neuromancer is a prime classic. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon (while not really sci-fi, is very tech oriented and wonderful) are must reads.

Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are a wonderful new find. I've gotten hooked on them, thanks to my library. Very cyberpunk, total action, good stuff.

Asimov and Heinlein are of course essentials.

However, on the difficult to find, but WELL worth the search, list ....

John Shirley, A Song Called Youth trilogy. These Are Absolutely Fabulous. Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona are mindblowingly fabulous, especially if you're into serious hard sci-fi.

This is the first time I think this has happened but I'm not familiar with any of these! Nope, not a single one. I'll have to check each out as I get the opportunity.

Am I getting old?

I'm a major nerd when it comes to reading. I'll devour anything in an interesting genre, and I read uncomfortably fast, so I go through a LOT of books.

Some of those listed are actually on the older side, like John Shirley, Asimov, Heinlein, and Gibson. I definitely recommend checking them out.

I just noticed that DH has Snow Crash and The Diamond age on our bookshelf

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

John has the Heritage series. I should pick it up and read it, but I always feel funny reading books off his bookshelf, like I'm sneaking into an R rate movie and I'm underage.

If you're looking for a good Robert A Heinlein book to read, try A Door into Summer. It's another book that I reread every couple of years because I think it's a classic.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• PookasCrayon Said:
  • JoyfulAnna Said:
  • Lady Vivian Said:

Am I getting old?

I have read Asimov & Heinlein but for the rest, I don't think so. At least not by the author's name.

I used to work for Walden's like 20 years ago. Read literally everything in sci-fi and fantasy section. Had to for work purposes. Some books were more memorable than others. Some were snooze fests.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• JoyfulAnna Said:
Is Red Dwarf any good? My DH read the book and really enjoyed it. I have not seen the series at all.

There's 8 seasons/series. I just added them to my queue.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I'm a bit confused with the 3rd DVD for Starhunter. It repeats all the episodes but one. Huh?

Well, I skipped the ones I've already seen and just watched that new one. Can't help but wonder if these other episodes were done differently. Gotta let it go.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

• Lady Vivian Said:
I'm a bit confused with the 3rd DVD for Starhunter. It repeats all the episodes but one. Huh?

Well, I skipped the ones I've already seen and just watched that new one. Can't help but wonder if these other episodes were done differently. Gotta let it go.

Thanks for telling me. It is somewhere on my queue

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

It has SuperMax on it that I don't remember from previous DVDs.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

Ok, so if you go to the scifi dot com web page you may find a clip of Ben Browder and some puppets. It was on the upper right hand part of the screen where they sometimes play fan videos. I did not click because my sound doesn't work - I'm waiting to use my husband's computer.

While I was looking at this there was an animated "Battlestar Gallactica" rap on a commercial slot on the Sci-Fi channel itself. The characters appeared to be based on lego people.

Oh, and I think I figured out what my favorite Sci-Fi books are - Dune and I Who Have Never Known Men.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Bellanca

Improv puppeteering isn't for Ben. Can't see him, so what's the point?

Edited by Lady Vivian on 08-30-07 03:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Ever notice the strong messianic themes of many sci-fi/fantasy stories?

They just took that twist in Starhunter. In fact the last episode of disc 4 is called "Resurrection" and in the episode before a guy "forgave" his dead mother and helped her into the 4th dimension "where she belonged." Just found this interesting.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

And the captain keeps saying GD! Totally blows the story for me each time he does it.

Diva

I absolutely get where you're coming from on that, Vivian.

For a long while, we were out of the movie and television loop -- young kids, dh was Air Force at the time, always TDY -- and we really didn't see much.

So the first time that we went to see an action movie after several years, the REPEATED dropping of the F-bomb blew my mind. It was like having a sledgehammer smacked into my face, since the last time I had really seen movies, that particular word was verboten, and even ONE usage merited an automatic R rating, and you couldn't get away with any more than that one.

Now? It's everywhere.

Page 3 of 132 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics