Page 4 of 132 
Username Post: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Lovers Unite        (Topic#1433285)
Diva
In response to PookasCrayon

OH OH OH!

And that brings me to a serious pet peeve about some sci-fi novels (and really, ANY fiction) -- gratutitous and GRAPHIC sex scenes that have absolutely no bearing on the story.

It's disconcerting at best to be wading through something filled with detailed explanations of mathematics and alchemy and astronomy, and suddenly stumble into a relatively graphic scene involving someone's hand up another's behind (Guilty much, "Quicksilver"?). EXCUSE ME?

I think it's a "suspension of disbelief" thing for me. You're cruising along in your book, secure in how the story is going, your disbelief is appropriately suspended to enjoy the story unfolding before you, only to turn a corner and be smacked upside the head with a force relative to having the Mythbusters team dropping Buster out of an airplane from 2000 feet. Terminal velocity, and it's the sudden STOP at the end of the fall that kills you. WHAM. Suddenly, the spell of the book is broken.

Most of the time, I just roll my eyes and skip through the book until the scene is over and try to ease back into the story. It just didn't happen with Quicksilver. After that point, I had trouble enjoying it. I had trouble reading and paying attention, because little things kept creeping on back and throwing the whole pacing off yet again.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Totally understand that. In the first episode of Stargate: SG1, there's that scene with Sharay(?) where she's "derobed" to be checked out by the g'ould, it was totally unnecessary!

Then afterwards whenever that actress/character was on, I couldn't help remembering that scene. To make matters worst, I felt like the Daniel character was defiled too since it was his wife in the worst form of rape ever. I understand that that was part of what they wanted to convey but was the full nudity necessary?

The look on her face would have been more effective without the boobies shaking all over!

Diva
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Well, keep in mind that the first season of SG-1 was aired on SHOWTIME ... and apparently they demanded some skin in exchange for airing, according to what I've read about that first season.

Once they got off Showtime, things improved greatly in that respect.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I didn't know that but makes complete sense now.

I prefer gratuitous violence and sex left to the individual's imagination. Those imagined images aren't as ingrained as those actually seen.

On a good note, Netflix is sending me the next Farscape DVD. Season 3: episodes 5&6

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

In season 10 of Stargate:SG1, episode 12: Line in the Sand, got a question.

They phased out that entire village, when the Ori ship blasted it. So when they phased back to normal existence, wouldn't the entire village have fallen into a hole?

Just thinking again.

Diva

Depends on the capacity for overall damage with the Ori weapon. I know we see at one point their ability to completely fry and destroy a planet, but they rarely have shown (if ever, that I can remember), what a single focused beam actually does on a village they destroy to remove the non-believers. We know they use a lot of energy-based weapons, and that may not leave a crater at all when set just to wipe the surface clean.

I think with the total planet destruction, they focused the beams so tightly that what they did was damage the core -- or used air blasts that set the atmosphere itself a blaze, like a meteor would do if it exploded above the surface.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

You're right. I just ff to that scene where they rematerialized with Vala already standing at street level. No crater, just scorched earth.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

On the commentary, they just mentioned this. Their answer, "don't worry about it, something to do with phasing"

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

• Lady Vivian Said:
On the commentary, they just mentioned this. Their answer, "don't worry about it, something to do with phasing"

Classic type of answer! Gotta love it!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to darksideme

Suspended disbelief is the technical term for this I think. Still love these shows!

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora

I am jumping in on this thread too. I LOVE Sci Fi Channel. My favorites are Farscape-sobbed for days when they canceled it-and Battle Star Galletica. I also watch Eureka (love the quirkiness) and SG series.

I think one common thread (except BSG) on these shows is the sarcasm. I LOVE sarcastic humor and these shows seem to have a lot of it. And the quirkiness of the characters.

Now are all of you just Sci Fi fans or do you like fantasy too? I like both. I tend to read Sci Fi Fantasy but watch Sci Fi shows.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Just Nora

I most of us love both sci-fi and fantasy.

I agree about the humor. I think that's why I love Firefly so much.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I'm now watching for the first time, Farscape season 3, episode 5 where they go back in time accidentally. Dargo has Stark looking for the time tear.

Stark says "it's right there."

Dargo tells Stark and Jool to go through the tears. Jool refuses and Dargo shoves her toward the tears. She bounces off the wall/rocks.

"Well, that was obviously wrong," says Dargo!

I'm replaying this scene 'cuz it's incredibly funny!!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Sad ending! Poor Crichton. How has he stayed even half way sane?

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Just finished watching Farscape season 3, episode 5, "Eat me." Now there's two Crichtons. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I won't be getting the next DVD until next week.

Diva

Yum, two Crichtons!

I definitely love some snarky humour in my shows. Especially when a show can occasionally be really bleak, the snark can keep you from feeling BLEH after it's over.

I even like seeing that kind of humour in my horror. Too much tension makes for a miserable ride, you've got to break it up a bit, or the shock and tension points that are supposed to have you on edge don't -- by that time, you're just tired. Throw in some snarky humour, and break the tension for a bit, and it's a lot easier to stomach.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Humor is usually used as a vehicle to other deeper emotions. Public speaking courses teach this. Get them laughing. It's the easiest course to anyone emotions. Once they're laughing it's easier to shock and horrify the listeners.

So here I was laughing like an idiot over the "Well, that was obviously wrong" comment then the shock of what happens. Very well manipulated. I gotta give them credit for that.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Just Nora

• Nora Noll Said:
I am jumping in on this thread too. I LOVE Sci Fi Channel. My favorites are Farscape-sobbed for days when they canceled it-and Battle Star Galletica. I also watch Eureka (love the quirkiness) and SG series.

I think one common thread (except BSG) on these shows is the sarcasm. I LOVE sarcastic humor and these shows seem to have a lot of it. And the quirkiness of the characters.

Now are all of you just Sci Fi fans or do you like fantasy too? I like both. I tend to read Sci Fi Fantasy but watch Sci Fi shows.

You are definitely right about the sarcastic humor.

I like Fantasy as well

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

• Lady Vivian Said:
Sad ending! Poor Crichton. How has he stayed even half way sane?

I know, that episode is so awful. I mean awful what happened. Excellent writing.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

• Lady Vivian Said:
Just finished watching Farscape season 3, episode 5, "Eat me." Now there's two Crichtons. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I won't be getting the next DVD until next week.

Yes, two Crichtons....yum.

Eat me has got to be the most creepy/weird episode(to me at least).

Get ready for the last part of season 3 to rip your heart out....same thing with the end of season 4....oh wait, they did that in Season 2 also. I am starting to see a pattern here.

Page 4 of 132 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics