Page 5 of 132 
Username Post: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Lovers Unite        (Topic#1433285)
darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to PookasCrayon

• PookasCrayon Said:
Yum, two Crichtons!

I definitely love some snarky humour in my shows. Especially when a show can occasionally be really bleak, the snark can keep you from feeling BLEH after it's over.

I even like seeing that kind of humour in my horror. Too much tension makes for a miserable ride, you've got to break it up a bit, or the shock and tension points that are supposed to have you on edge don't -- by that time, you're just tired. Throw in some snarky humour, and break the tension for a bit, and it's a lot easier to stomach.

The snarky humor does definitely help things from getting too dark.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to darksideme

Man, they already "regenerated" the Doctor in season 1!!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Vivian loves BLING

In a commentary in season 10 of SG1, they mention that Claudia Black got some award as being the most annoying character in sci-fi. I love her and her character!

Diva

Nah, I'd say some of the occasional walk-on characters in SG-1 should qualify as Most Annoying -- or Rodney, in one of his more whiney phases.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Rodney is way more annoying but I still like him, too.

I'm sure they're talking about recent as in this past year's/season's shows. I'm sure there's worse ones like on Smallville or Supernatural.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

Rodney is waaaaay more annoying than Vala. He is so whiney!

I stopped watching Smallville because it began to irritate/annoy me so much.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

Oh dear. I am going to the challenges forum to see how many I can join this month.

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere

I just stumbled on this thread. Haven't read all the posts, but it's really cool to find so many other sf fans here. I don't watch much tv anymore, but we always record Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. Loved Firefly, all the Star Treks too. Oh, and Quantum Leap! Anyone remember that one? Had the same guy as in Enterprise. I loved that show. I thought Sliders was pretty good too.
I started reading sf when I was like 11 or 12. My dad was a sf and astronomy nut. I used to subscribe to a couple of sf mags that had short stories and novellas. Some really good stuff. I haven't really been able to get into reading sf for about the past 10 years though. However, I still like novels with a sf/fantasy/occult twist to them like some of Nora Roberts stuff and Lynn Kurland.

Going to add this to my fave topics and try to catch up on all this! Great thread Viv!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to CatScrapsHere

I used to have a subscription to Asimoz's magazine. Can't remember the exact name but sadly there were too many that were more horror than anything else. Very disturbing imagery. :shudders:

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere

Yeah, I got Asimov's and Analog. Loved those.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to CatScrapsHere

• CatScrapsHere Said:
I just stumbled on this thread. Haven't read all the posts, but it's really cool to find so many other sf fans here. I don't watch much tv anymore, but we always record Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. Loved Firefly, all the Star Treks too. Oh, and Quantum Leap! Anyone remember that one? Had the same guy as in Enterprise. I loved that show. I thought Sliders was pretty good too.
I started reading sf when I was like 11 or 12. My dad was a sf and astronomy nut. I used to subscribe to a couple of sf mags that had short stories and novellas. Some really good stuff. I haven't really been able to get into reading sf for about the past 10 years though. However, I still like novels with a sf/fantasy/occult twist to them like some of Nora Roberts stuff and Lynn Kurland.

Going to add this to my fave topics and try to catch up on all this! Great thread Viv!

I have 3 seasons of Quantum Leap. I love me some Scott Bakula

Oh, and Vivian, her name is Summer Glau.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Thank you, Anna. No wonder I couldn't remember it.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

On the last episode of SG1, I think I picked up on something from this episode I've not picked up before. Everyone is kinda buggin Teal'c to tell them about the time on the ship. He won't say or give anything away as what really happened for 50-60 years.

They're all saying parables/proverbs. Teal'c says, "Good things come to those who wait."

Carter says to Teal'c: You know, as hard as it is for us not knowing, it must be torture for you not to tell us.

Teal'c gives Carter a very longing look before saying his signature line: Indeed.

Hmmm. Me thinks they hooked up during that time. Whacha think?

Diva

Hee hee.

Teal'c has always been one of my favs on that show, particularly because of HIS fascination with Sci-Fi. There's one episode where Mitchell makes a comment over the mic that a security guard is pulling a McClain -- Daniel is lost. It's TEAL'C that enlightens him with "Die Hard." And his viewings of Star Wars, and ...

Wheee!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

So Teal'c's had a crush on Carter but O'neill was in the way?

Love Teal'c's one liners and knowledge of earth's movies.

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere

Definitely going to miss that show. I'm glad Carter is moving over to Atlantis, but I wish the rest of them were too!

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

I never read the "Indeed" like this - I thought it was just a set up for their last line as a group (also Indeed). It's kind of amusing to think they hooked up

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Bellanca

It would explain why Michell was the violent one. Hmm.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I'm now listening to the commentary for that last episode of SG1. Amanda Tapping said that they were doing subtle things to show that Amanda and Teal'c were in a relationship.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme

• Lady Vivian Said:
I'm now listening to the commentary for that last episode of SG1. Amanda Tapping said that they were doing subtle things to show that Amanda and Teal'c were in a relationship.

Just smack me on the forehead and call me "oblivious woman". I totally did not get any of that. Now I have to watch it again.

Page 5 of 132 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics