Page 1 of 70 
Username Post: GLBT and Supporters Part Deux        (Topic#1437331)
Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut

About a year ago I posted a thread here for any gay, lesbian or transgendered scrappers or their supporters/family etc.

Well, that thread sorta died in the water. But now, I feel the need to try and post it again. I've finally decided to "come out" on sb.com as being the partner of a transguy. My boyfriend is transgendered and I've decided to start a book to document his journey through his transition.

I know this is a touchy subject...but I feel it's one that should be talked about...or at least not be shunned away from. If you're uncomfortable with the subject, that's okay...but I am very unapologetic about it.

Anyway, here's the link to the journal I'm making for John. There are only 2 pages so far...but tonight he asked when I'd make more 'cause he couldn't wait to see them. Transitions

I'm hoping there are other people here on sb.com that can share in this with me. Gay, lesbian, bi, trans...whatever.

Cardmaker45
Veteran
Cardmaker45
In response to Octopusouphut

It's great that you're making a journal for your boyfriend. It'll probably really help through a time that might be confusing. A friend I've known forever recently started to make the change from female to male, and I know it's been a little confusing to him, so being there for them is always helpful. Good luck with the journal!

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut
In response to Cardmaker45

Thanks! It's funny, when John and I started dating I didn't know of anyone else who knew anyone trans. Now that I'm more open about it all sorts of people are coming out of the wordwork saying, "Oh yeah...my brother's friend's hairdresser is FTM..."

John's actually helping me with the book a bit, which is fun. Not only am I making it for him, but for my sister's kids (when she has any...first she needs to find a guy...) and my friend's kids when they get older. Just to help explain things to them about their Uncle John.

I wish the best of luck to your friend...it's not easy, but (I believe) it's worth it in the end.

scrappinmonkey
Queen
scrappinmonkey

I have never known anyone that has done this, but I'm sure it's difficult.

Best of luck in his and your journey!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 10-01-07 08:22 AM
In response to scrappinmonkey

I don't know any transgendered people (male or female) but one of our sons is gay. That's the only perspective I can offer.

Edited by GrandmaMichelf on 10-01-07 08:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut
In response to GrandmaMichelf

• GrandmaMichelf Said:
I don't know any transgendered people (male or female) but one of our sons is gay. That's the only perspective I can offer.

I think everyone is in it togher. Weither you're gay, bi, trans or straight. Everyone has to be excepting for things to be okay in the world.

I kinda started this thread in hopes for people to be able to talk about it and get support if need be. All my friends are gay. No joke. My first and last boyfriends (not including John) are now gay (and I only dated 3 people before John).

It's been weird for me here on sb.com sometimes 'cause I'm not used to talking with woman so much. I've always gotten along better with guys.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I wish your son the best in his life. It's not easy, but it's made easier with exceptacnce.

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut

• scrappinmonkey Said:

Thanks so much! Even if you don't know anyone who's done this...it's nice to know that there is support.

scrappinmonkey
Queen
scrappinmonkey

• Octopusouphut Said:
  • scrappinmonkey Said:

Thanks so much! Even if you don't know anyone who's done this...it's nice to know that there is support.

The way I see it, we are all in this together.

scrappymom5
Idol
scrappymom5

That is wonderful that you are doing this for your boyfriend! I don't know anyone who is transgendred, but I did have a cousin who was gay and I worked at a resturant and the 2 men were gay. Good luck to both of you through this journey.

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut

• scrappinmonkey Said:
  • Octopusouphut Said:
  • scrappinmonkey Said:

The way I see it, we are all in this together.

I think I said the same thing to GradmaMichelf So thanks again

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut
In response to scrappymom5

• scrappymom5 Said:
That is wonderful that you are doing this for your boyfriend! I don't know anyone who is transgendred, but I did have a cousin who was gay and I worked at a resturant and the 2 men were gay. Good luck to both of you through this journey.

Thanks so much for the support! It's always appreciated!!

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

You know, I see a potential business in the making. You could be opening up doors for a lot of other families out there. Wouldn't it be great if you could find beautiful vellum quotes and other things that met your needs the same way anyone who has a baby or gets married or whatever has access to?

I think it is cool you are working on this together. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut
In response to Bellanca

• Bellanca Said:
You know, I see a potential business in the making. You could be opening up doors for a lot of other families out there. Wouldn't it be great if you could find beautiful vellum quotes and other things that met your needs the same way anyone who has a baby or gets married or whatever has access to?

I think it is cool you are working on this together. Looking forward to seeing the results.

You know, that's kind of a cool idea! I never really thought about it, 'cause, honestly, I thought I was the *only* person who scraped about "unconventional" things like this. A coworker of mine from when I worked at Ms is a gay and she scraps. But she has a grown daughter and now a granddaughter that she scraps.

I bet, as time goes by, more stay at home moms who scrap will have kids who grow up and come out to them. And the mother may want to scrap it...but not have an idea 'cause there isn't anything out there. Hum...you've got my wheels turning....

I can see it now Jolee's stickers of "Pride Fair"

Anyway, thanks for the support!! I've posted the first 2 LOs of his album in my gallery. I'm going to be working on another one as soon as John finishes the journaling. (Yes, I got him to journal!) We've decided to make this about his whole life, not just his transition...since it all kind of folds in together anyway. And he's going to journal about his younger brother, who has Autism.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I should go to bed...but I doubt I will any time soon!

jessiebabie824
Mayor
jessiebabie824

that is a good idea. I bet there are some people who would like to scrap that but are afraid to ask for products. Or people who had never thought to scrap that and would see the embellies and think thatd be a good idea.

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut
In response to jessiebabie824

• jessiebabie824 Said:
that is a good idea. I bet there are some people who would like to scrap that but are afraid to ask for products. Or people who had never thought to scrap that and would see the embellies and think thatd be a good idea.

I just wish I knew a way to do that. I have no buissness skills or anything. I just adapt what I do have a make do.

jessiebabie824
Mayor
jessiebabie824

Maybe if you write some letters to a scrapbook company letting them know that you are interested in seeing products like that in the future?

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

You could easily compile a list or booklet of meaningful quotes from members of the GLBT community that people could incorporate as they saw fit.

You could also compile a homemade list of patterned paper and card stock that best match colors of well known symbols - for instance, which Bazzil pink and blue best make the transgendered symbol?

I'm sure there are a lot of Love sticker and vellum quotes out there that would work for everyone.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

• Octopusouphut Said:
  • jessiebabie824 Said:

I just wish I knew a way to do that. I have no buissness skills or anything. I just adapt what I do have a make do.

I tend not to be a very thematic scrapper so I would have to say that is a lot of what I do for all layouts regardless of topic. This industry tends to be very conservative so anything that strays a bit from that can be hard to find supplies that are specific to it.

Anyway, I have not looked at your layouts yet, but I think it is wonderful that you are supportive of him in this way! I cannot relate from personal experience, but I do have a number of gay and lesbian neighbors/friends where I live.

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
  • Octopusouphut Said:
  • jessiebabie824 Said:

I tend not to be a very thematic scrapper so I would have to say that is a lot of what I do for all layouts regardless of topic. This industry tends to be very conservative so anything that strays a bit from that can be hard to find supplies that are specific to it.

Anyway, I have not looked at your layouts yet, but I think it is wonderful that you are supportive of him in this way! I cannot relate from personal experience, but I do have a number of gay and lesbian neighbors/friends where I live.

That is very true (in terms of being conservative) which is one reason I worried about tell my story...but at the same time that made me want to tell my story that much more.

I was amazed the other day to see Jewish scrap stuff (I'm Jewish btw)...and not just Hanukkah stuff...but stuff for Bar and Bat Mitzvahs and generic stuff too. I was so excited I had to call my mom!

Thanks for your support. Like I've said, it is so nice to find it here. I was kinda worried I'd get bashed by at least one person. So far nothing! I knew this place got it's nice reputation for a reason

Octopusouphut
Guru
Octopusouphut

• jessiebabie824 Said:
Maybe if you write some letters to a scrapbook company letting them know that you are interested in seeing products like that in the future?

Why didn't I think of that?? But RioRabbit has a good point about the conservitiveness of the scrap industry. I'll have to look into this more...might be a while from now...school is driving me nuts!

Page 1 of 70 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics