Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Recollections Closing?        (Topic#1439093)
Rmill 
Tenant
  • Rmill on 10-17-07 10:14 AM
In response to Richelle

aren't they owned by the Michaels stores...hmmm I wonder if that means michaels is hurting as well. Man pretty soon we'll have nothin!

AZGIRL
Expert
AZGIRL
In response to siameseplease

My thoughts Exactly Gina!....Close out sale.

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to AZGIRL

Went to the Recollections today. The first thing one of them said to me was "did you hear we're closing?"

Unless they're not profitable, why wouldn't Michaels want to sell them to another company?? Unless they think they'll be competition?

Anyhoo... they got in some lovely stuff - new Fancy Pants felt, posies, transparencies... I got stuck over at the FP display

lovemy2girls
Idol
lovemy2girls
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

For all the DFW area people, if you want, PM me and I will give you directions to several other LSS in the area. Recollections is far from the only one.

Also, it sounds like the Rec. in AZ are better. I used to crop at Rec., but switched to another LSS because they stopped all discounts and raised their prices. The one I go to now has the same hours and nights, you get double the workspace, the store itself is much bigger, they have teacher and military discounts, crop night discounts, birthday discounts, etc. They also have a punch card. Also, their crop night is only $5 as opposed to the overpriced $15 at Recollections. The only thing is that it isn't catered, but there are lots of places nearby that deliver. And, the last 3 times cropped at Rec., we had cold sandwiches and chips (which they ran out of). Oh, and yes, the other LSS does let you use their tools, including scissors, trimmers, die cut machines (more variety than Rec.), punches, stamps, etc.

I have had some very rude unprofessional people wait on me at Rec. It seems they are always more interested in whatever they are working on (for display in the store) than in helping me. I often had to wait until they are ready. I just feel very un-valued as a customer, so I for one am thrilled that they are closing, maybe a better store will replace them. I have heard this from lots of people cropping at the other store, too. Lots of bad stories out there about Rec. While I do like their selection of products (they always have all the new stuff) it just isn't worth the trouble or worth my supporting that place in my opinion.

If anyone wants to know any of the other LSS, pm me, there are several.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to lovemy2girls

There is a totally AWESOME LSS right here in Plano!!! I love it because they buy in bulk and you only have to buy what you need. So if you only want like 3 red brads then you don't have to buy a whole pack and wonder "what am I going to do with 22 red brads"!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Vallee

If you are referring to the Scrap Bucket they closed last week. I don't know of another LSS left in the Plano area, just the ScrapSpot in Richardson.

I received an email from Recollections tonight confirming the store closing. Bummer.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to delaneygirl

Yeah, I just got an email from them about closing.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to riorabbit

I got one, too. It says that it will be "business as usual" until Jan 1. Sad.

gottoscrap
Pro
gottoscrap
In response to siameseplease

Yes - seems like I got the same email message. It is sad. I don't have one near me, but a scrapping friend of mine lives in VA & we would make a weekend road trip and scrap at Recollections all weekend!

As far as service - I was never disappointed. As far as the prices - more than what I would pay at Mikes or AC with a coupon - but the selection was always there & I didn't have to drive to a bunch of stores in search of something. The staff was always accommodating our special requests and were generally extremely friendly.

I'm sorry to see them leave. I have had rumors for the past year or more about their finances not being up to par. I hope that their closing will give Mikes a better department - it's dim in comparison to my AC's. Unfortunately, the closest LSS worth patronage is about 30 miles away which is somewhat of a problem & hard to believe considering I live in a large metropolitan area, so I do depend upon the chains for the basics.

mbattitori
Veteran
mbattitori
In response to Richelle

I just went to one this weekend and was very disappointed with the customer service. I have gone to many crops there and will miss that but I won't miss the nasty women who were no help and made me feel like I was not worth their time. Maybe I'll give her the benefit of the doubt...mabye she just found out she'd be losing her job. Either way, I'm looking forward to the store closing sales!!

JaineParr
Veteran
JaineParr
In response to mbattitori

I'm a regular at a VA Recollections and the staff there tries extremely hard to be nice to everyone who walks in the door. I'm going to miss them a lot, it was my favorite place to shop and I spent a lot of time in the studio.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to JaineParr

The R's near my parents has always had fairly good service. I have noticed that they either don't keep up with what is in the industry or they are not willing to talk about products they don't sell. My only service issue is if I ask about a product that they don't have they seem clueless. I guess I think they should have more of an idea about the industry as a whole (hang out on sb.com some...lol).

However, I loved the big crop space for free that was so close to my parents. That was really nice. It was also nice to have a store that sold more of the name brand stuff close to them.

In general, I prefer the selection from another lss though so I would go there unless it was something I just wanted to pick up fast and new R's would have. They seemed to be a lot more thematic and I am not as much of a thematic scrapper. Even the way the store is layed out annoyed me (totally thematic).

I have liked that M's is carrying more things I like. They carry all my favorite adhesives these days. I hope they will continue that trend since they won't have R's anymore. I would rather purchase things there due to the Coupons !

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to riorabbit

If anyone hears about sales when they close....keep us posted! I will gladly stop over then! loL!

Mommy2Four
Pro
Mommy2Four
In response to Richelle

I've never been to a Recollections....seems like I have missed out!

Jessis_jems
Tenant
Jessis_jems
In response to Mommy2Four

Ok...I work for the Reccollections in Dallas as the Events Coordinator. The reason Recollections is closing is NOT becuase we were not profitable, but because the Board of Directors over Michaels Inc made the decision to refocus all the companies assets on Michaels and Aaron Brothers. I have been reading over all the financial docs on Michaels.com, and unless the are falsifying company documents, there is nothing that says we are losing money.
The original concept designer stopped by our store Friday or Saturday and told our Assitant Manager that Michaels strayed from the original plans to keep the 2 companies seperate by offering different items at both stores. Now we carry stuff Mike's carries as well as different things. As a result I think we kinda hurt their scrapbook business...but that is all speculation on my part. As for the bad customer service in DFW, I apologize on behalf of my store...whethere I worked there at the time or not. It has come a long way in the past year and a half, and has a totally different staff. I really wish anyone who had a bad experiencce would give us another chance...we still have so much to offer in the short time we have left.

As for the sales, we are expecting them to start sometime after Christmas. I'll keep you guys posted as I hear it tho.

scrappin in md
Resident
scrappin in md
In response to Jessis_jems

i am totally shocked that they are closing. there is only one local store in my area. the joann's in westminster is trashy and has very little selection. i'd rather drive 45 minutes to the timonium recollections than shop at the michaels that's 5 minutes from my house. ac moore is ok, but it's 25 minutes away.

i've never had bad service at recollections. the staff have helped me just about every time i've been in there shopping. they are very friendly and knowledgeable. the people at michaels don't really have a clue. i'm extremely sad. this will definitely hurt my scrapping progress.

oh, one of the employess said we could write to michaels and voice our opinions. i don't know it it will help, but it's so worth a try.

hbodley17
Expert
hbodley17
In response to Richelle

Does anyone know when this is going to happen?

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to hbodley17

The article says by the end of the fiscal year, which ends July 1st next summer.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to DawnInAZ

The ladies from our local store said that they're continuing until Dec, 07 for sure.. The sale and actual closing will probably happen sometime in 2008.

scrappin in md
Resident
scrappin in md
In response to jellyziva

recollections is up to 50-60% off ... they'll be gone soon. booooo!!

of course i went in there two weeks ago and spent well over my normal "allowance" ... about $200!!

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics