Page 1 of 3157 
Username Post: *For Scraps Sake* COF/critique group (Full and Active)        (Topic#1446845)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-05-08 04:48 AM

OK ladies, here's the official thread for the new For Scraps Sake COF/critique group. I thought for our first post we might introduce ourselves. I made up a little questionnaire that I'll put below shortly.

Edited 1/12/08 to add links to everyone's gallery:
Vel's gallery
Retrojulie's gallery
Vawm's gallery
-PaperJunkie-'s gallery
-Melissa's- gallery
Richelle's gallery
Kittymama's gallery
Crazy4scrapbookin's gallery
Delusional1's gallery
Manda_K's gallery
Jeni's gallery
Jill's gallery
Susan's gallery

I'm terrible with names so I'm making a list here of our usernames and what we like to be called so you can check here if you happen to forget someone's name. I know it might sound lame, but I really am absolutely awful with names.

Vel - Vel or Velvet (8/11)
Retrojulie - Julie (5/20)
Vawm - Victoria (8/28)
-PaperJunkie- - Debbie (8/14)
-Melissa- - Mel or Melissa (6/29)
Richelle - Richelle (2/5)
Kittymama - Holly (12/30)
Crazy4scrapbookin - Kim (11/2)
Delusional1 - Debbi (12/17)
Manda_K - Amanda or Manda (5/28)
Jillian - Jill (12/26)
Kromkitty - Jeni (12/20)
Sgoetter - Susan (12/23)

Here's the link to our For Scraps Sake blog: FSS blog
Here's the link to our Gypsy's blog: Gypsy's blog

*Reminder* 1st friendly challenge (Julie's) is due Wednesday, Jan. 23. Extension for latecomers and those currently wearing hospital garb (sorry Dee, couldn't resist). If you haven't already, you should e-mail Julie your very first lo for her to post on our blog. Then when you're done, e-mail your redo to her and also post it in your gallery if you want. Don't forget, this is a "just for fun" challenge--no voting, no big prize money--to see how our styles have changed since we began scrapping.

2nd Challenge (Mel's), due Feb. 6: I thought it would be cool to do a layout about the town/city we live in. Since we are all from different parts of the country or at least different towns (well except for Jeni and I), I thought it would be neat to see where we are all from. Is your town known for something? Is there a landmark in your town? Maybe there is only one red light? Show us your town...heck, you can even paint it red first if you want to!!!
--This can be either a one or 2 page layout....however you want to do it! And, I have no problem with using other people's pictures. Also, remember to put these in your password protected FSS album in your gallery for critiquing before transferring to the public gallery. We're requesting at least one piece of constructive criticism on each lo. You may want to wait to glue everything down until you've received those critiques. Up to you.

Challenge #3 (Dee's): Okay girls, I think this one is going to be pretty easy for you. Ready?

Scrap your Obsession/addiction. Is it beanie babies? Diet Coke? All things chocolate? Thickers? Show us what you can't live without!

You have two weeks to complete, so it is due 2/20/08.

Challenge #4 (Vel) Begins Feb. 20 and ends March 5. You are to scraplift a lo by the person who appears above/ahead of you on the list. Since I'm first I'll scraplift Delusional Debbi, Julie will scraplift me etc. etc. You can choose whichever lo you want, including those that have appeared in the FSS gallery. Yep, you can do another obsession lo if you really want to, just make sure it resembles the lo of the person ahead of you. By the way, please remember if you're critiquing a design element, you're also critiquing a design element from the original lo, which probably can't be changed.

New time periods, three weeks each, starts here.

Challenge #5 (Holly): Begins March 5, ends March 26; Use a magazine advertisement as your inspiration. You can use parts of it or the whole thing, it's up to you! Also post a picture/scan of the ad that inspired you so that we can see what you did with it.

Challenge #6 (Amanda): Begins March 26, ends April 16; Okay, a generational pic, THREE handmade embellies, {doodling}, visible journaling or hidden, whatever you prefer. I will send a little gifty to whomever has the MOST generations in their photograph.

Challenge #7 (Victoria): Begins April 16, ends May 7; Your challenge this time is to create a lo that is ALL black and white. You can use a color photo, but extra "points" if it's b/w. Everything else MUST be black or white.

Challenge #8 (Debbie): Begins May 7, ends May 28: You are to scrap an ITEM.......NO people in the photo! However Julie asked if there coule be a person in the supporting pictures.....and yes that would be fine....but the photo that is the main focus of your layout is to have no people in it...ok!

Challenge #9 (Richelle): Begins May 28, ends June 18: I had the idea of everyone swapping a picture that we have been wanting to scrap but maybe is having trouble with. Your partner will scrap your pic for you. (please ladies...no dirty pics)
So here is the line up. I drew names to match everyone up.

Kim and Debbie
Mel and Manda
Julie and Richelle
Jen and Vel
Victoria and Dee
Holly and Debbi

Yall can swap pics however you want. You can either send them snail mail or send them in an email and your partner can have them printed. It's up to you and your partner how you switch.
Then when the challenge is over you swap layouts.

Challenge #10 (Julie): Begins June 18, ends July 9: Step outside of the scraproom (literally) and use at least one item found in the garage, shed or junk drawer. Use items like duct tape, electrical tape, wire, drywall mesh, spackle, paint, string, burlap, screen, washers, etc. Use your imagination! Have fun & really challenge yourselves...don't cop out with painted chipboard...do something unique with that paint.

Challenge #11 (Vel): Begins July 9, ends July 30: Your mission is to choose a word from the One Little Word blog found here http://onelittleword.typepad.com/ Use that word as your title. Your title must be a one-word title and it must be one of the words found at the OLW blog (you can use any of the words there, going all the way back to the beginning). That's your only rule.

Challenge #12 (Dee): Begins July 30, ends Sept. 3: The challenge is to choose one "item" from each row to use on your lo.

**If you choose one item, you can't use the other in your creation!**

Here goes.....

- one PP or three PPs?
- 3 photos or 2 photos?
- ribbon or brads?
- chipboard or stamps?
- paint or ink?
- letter stickers or a tag?
- hand journaling or computer journaling?

CLARIFICATION: So you will choose your one of two for each of the above and then create your page.
So for instance.... my page recipe could end up being.... "one pp, 3 photos, brads, stamps, paint, letter stickers, computer journaling".

Challenge #13 (Julie): Begins Sept. 3, ends Sept. 24: It doesn't matter 'how' you use them or how many, but you must use at least two 'non-trendy' 'old school' scrappy supply or tools.

Examples: eyelet, punch, chalk, fiber, vellum, foam stamps, tag maker, stickers (non-alpha)

Challenge #14 (Victoria): Begins Sept. 24 and ends Oct. 15: I am so sick of the run of the mill titles I am seeing. My challenge will be to use an uncommon word as a title. Title Word Choices:
1.Evanescent - disappearing after only a short time and soon forgotten
2.Pirouette - a spin of the body, especially one performed in ballet on tiptoe or on the ball of one foot
3.Mellifluous - pleasant and soothing to listen to, and sweet or rich in tone
4.Archaic - no longer useful or efficient
5.Observant - paying such careful attention that little or nothing is unnoticed
6.Heedless - not paying attention to somebody or to something such as a warning, piece of advice, or danger
7.Conformist - somebody who behaves or thinks in a socially acceptable or expected way
8.Rebellious - opposing or defying authority, accepted moral codes, or social conventions
9.Mutinous- plotting, participating in, or typical of a mutiny
10.Notorious- well known for some undesirable feature, quality, or act
11.Illustrious - extremely distinguished and deservedly famous
12.Luminous - emitting or reflecting light or enlightened and inspiring
13.Routine - something that is unvarying or boringly repetitive
14.Amiable - friendly and pleasant to be with
15.Melodious- tuneful or varied and interesting in tone
16.Dulcet - pleasant to hear, especially because of being soft or soothing
17.Relentless - never slackening, but continuing always at the same intense, demanding, or punishing level
18.Adamant - very determined and not influenced by appeals to reconsider a position or decision
19.Resolute - possessing determination and purposefulness
20.Amenable - responsive to suggestion and likely to cooperate

Challenge #15: Debbi - Start date Nov. 1 (or sooner), end date Nov. 30 - Scrap those old school pics. In other words...pics that weren't taken in the last five years. Got some 70s bell bottoms and plaid shirt pics? Scrap 'em! How about 80s neon and roller skates pics? Scrap 'em!

Bumpin' Uglies swap participants: Mel, Julie, Dee, Victoria, Debbie, Vel

Paper/goodies box swap participants: Richelle, Vel, Victoria, Mel, Julie, Dee, Amanda and Holly

New paper/goodies box order beginning May '09: Julie
Manda
Holly
Richelle
Kim
Victoria
Vel

7/09 - Mel's page kit swap participants: (somehow I must've deleted these...bummer)

1/1/10 - 3/31/10 Milestones DATE challenge (Julie) - Use a milestone date (like anniversary) for your lo; the date must be on the lo somewhere.

Edited by Vel on 09-17-10 08:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

I'll check back for the questionnaire

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-05-08 06:37 AM
In response to -Melissa-

Here's the questionnaire so you can copy/paste it for your post. My next post will be my copy filled out.

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called?
2) Where are you from?
3) Family?
4) Occupation?
5) Age?
6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping?
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do?
8) How would you describe your scrapping style?
9) How long have you been scrapping?
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo?
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line?
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on?
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you?
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-05-08 06:45 AM
In response to Vel

*edited out all personal info*

Edited by Vel on 11-11-10 05:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty
In response to Vel

I've subscribed! I'll check back later to do the ?aire...gotta go shopping w/mom today! Take care ladies.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? real name-Melissa
like to be called-Melissa, Mel, M (basically anything BUT Missy)

2) Where are you from? Elizabethtown, PA

3) Family? just my son and I (but have a wonderful boyfriend...we do not live together)

4) Occupation? server at a microbrewery...some call me the beer wench...LOL

5) Age? 33

6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? depends...like to do at least 2 layouts a week

7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? 12x12 is my preference. Have done 8x8. Would like to try a 6x12 one of these days

How would you describe your scrapping style? innovative...maybe? You guys can answer that for me

9) How long have you been scrapping? a little over a year this time around. Only did it for a few months back in the day.

10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? I seem to always have buttons and ribbon or rick rack on my layouts

11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Love the "love elsie" stuff....she just works for me. Love Scenic Route , too

12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? would love to try/learn embossing

13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? lots of inspiration here...I could name names all day.

14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? Would love to learn some new techniques/styles. Plus looking forward to the new friendships

Can't wait to get to know all of you! Have a wonderful weekend!!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

1. What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? Julie - some of my friends call me Jules, but most of the time, Julie.

2. Where are you from? Gainesville, Florida. But I have a lot of family in Ohio - which is where I went to school.

3. Family? Just me and my husband, Dwayne. Oh & three cats - Sketch, Easter and Catilla the Hon.

4. Occupation? Purchashing Agent for architectural woodworking company.

5. Age? 38

6. How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? I'd say a good 10-12 hours.

7. What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? Most of the time 12x12, but I've recently started buying 8x8 albums.

8. How would you describe your scrapping style? I'm all over the place. I don't think I really have a defined style.

9. How long have you been scrapping? Since October 2006. But, it's so similar to paste up & layout (which I did in highschool & college in journalism courses that I picked it up pretty quickly).

10. Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? Since I tend to dabble in a little bit of everything, I don't think I'm known for anything. Am I?

11. Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? I'm really into Basic Grey right now, but Scenic Route has been sucking me in lately. I'm drawn to anything "funky fresh".

12. Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? I feel there's an entire world of stamping that has yet to be explored. I have a few stamps and I piddle around with them, but I just know I could make better use of them if I only knew how.

13. Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? There are soooo many. I may like a style of one person, but love the technique of another. One single LO may inspire me, but I may not care for the rest of their gallery. I must admit that I really like ZoeDoodle's stuff and I'm thrilled she's going to be a part of our group.

14. What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? Overall, I really want honest feedback on my work. My husband will say, 'that's nice', but sometimes I need more than that. I need to know what's not quite right with it & what would you alter... because, ultimately, I'd like to try & get on a DT and/or be published.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-05-08 12:18 PM
In response to retrojulie

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? My real name is Victoria and that is what I prefer to be called. I also answer to Vickie and mom![color:purple}
2) Where are you from?I am from Portland, Oregon. I live in SE Portland. Originally I am from Everett, Washington. We have lived in Oregon for 5 years.
3) Family? My husband, Jim and my son, Preston. We also have a cat named Onyx (she is in time out right now because she sprayed in my living room)
4) Occupation? By training I am a dietitian. Currently I work as the director of an epidemiology center at a non-profit organization which focuses on improving the health of American Indians and Alaska Natives.
5) Age?Older than dirt.... 45.
6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping?Lately about 2 hours a night.
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do?I usually do 12 x 12, but also 6 x 6 on occassion.
How would you describe your scrapping style?I don't know. Clean and linear? Maybe you all can help me.
9) How long have you been scrapping?A long time. I really started again when my ds was about 2, so five years.
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo?Always card stock. Double matting. I love trying something new.
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Bazzill card stock. Basic Grey , Rusty Pickle and Heidi Swapp . I use what appeals to me though.
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on?I cannot stamp for the life of me. I try and it looks okay but never really great.
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you?Lots! I love Kristy Bentley and Tessa Ann and Alycia S (rusty pickly chef)
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group?My goal is to get published and be on a design team. I need honest criticism and support from each of you.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to vawm

off to work...you girls have a wonderful night

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

I've got our blog up & running. Go check out our new digs!

http://forscrapssake.blogspot.com/

I'll check in with everyone in the AM. Dinner & DH are beckoning.

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? My real name is Melissa..I don't think you'll call me what I prefer to be called..only two people have ever agreed
2) Where are you from? I'm in Colorado now, but lived in a bunch of states. In reality though, I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here
3) Family? the best dh in the world and two furbaby's
4) Occupation? all the paperwork stuff for dh's business, pampered chef, and custom scrapbooking
5) Age? I am not telling
6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? at least 28
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? I do 12x12, 8.5x11 and 6x12. I don't prefer any of them, I just pic what I think works for what I'm doing.
How would you describe your scrapping style? throw as much stuff on a page as possible
9) How long have you been scrapping? 6 years
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? journaling Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? journaling
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Basic Grey
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? there's no giving up in scrapbooking
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? ~{puppet}~, I don't want to duplicate her though. I just think she rocks. I love Riley, her doggy, too.
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

you people are already regretting giving me an invite aren't you?

Edited by Eat Sleep Scrap on 01-05-08 08:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap
In response to Eat Sleep Scrap

Hello! I can't believe I've killed the thread on day one. Just in case I didn't...I have an idea..How about we all make ATC cards introducing ourselves and then everyone gets one of each. If you all hate this idea, that' fine, just let me know.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

See now, I really thought I was scrapper savvy, but I have no idea what an ATC card is or a circle journal for that matter.

Someone needs to fill me in please.

If you need me, I'll be under my rock.

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty

1. What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? Jennifer-I go by Jeni or Jen.

2. Where are you from? Elizabethtown, PA...who would've thought you'd find two of us from the same town??

3. Family? My husband, Matt and I for now (along w/our two kitties Kinsey and Kali and our dog Mookie)...and of course the little one on the way (due July 26)

4. Occupation? Coordination of Benefits specialist for a dental insurance company

5. Age? 25

6. How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? It depends on if I have plans on the weekends or not since that's primarily when I do most of my scrapping.

7. What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? 12x12

8. How would you describe your scrapping style? I think I'm still trying to find my own unique style.

9. How long have you been scrapping? Well I started scrapping when I was about 16...but it was just basic stuff. When I went to college I stopped for a while and restarted again about a year or so ago.

10. Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? I don't really think so. I like finding random thinks to add to my pages.

11. Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Not really...when I go to the sb store I have in mind what I need for a certain lo and whatever I find that fits the bill works for me.

12. Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? I only own a few stamps and am pretty much afraid of them. I would love to learn how to effectivly stamp.

13. Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? Everyone! I love browsing through the gallery and looking at people's stuff!

14. What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? I hope to become a better scrapper by learning new things and getting opinions from others who actually care (unlike dh who says everything looks good...lol)

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-06-08 05:24 AM
In response to Kromkitty

Julie, I didn't know what an ATC was either so a little while back I asked. Here's the thread:
ATC thread

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Kromkitty

• Kromkitty Said:

2. Where are you from? Elizabethtown, PA...who would've thought you'd find two of us from the same town??

Do you two know one another in non-online life? That's too cool that you're from the same area.

And Elizabethtown... isn't that where Orlando Bloom filmed that movie? ~swoon~

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-

WOW! Now that's crazy stuff right there! I just found out now that Jen lives right here in the same town that I do. Too cool!

Orlando Bloom's "Elizabethtown" was filmed in Elizabethtown, NJ. I wish it would have been here. Maybe he would have needed a place to stay....ROFLMBO!!!!

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-06-08 07:11 AM
In response to -Melissa-

In my neighborhood we got all excited because we thought that Jennifer Aniston's film was using our neighborhood. No such luck, it was the Oregon State Lottery filming a Christmas commercial. LOL!

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap
In response to vawm

Julie: Get out from under your rock!!!!! It's not a safe place to be.

How weird that two people live in the same place. I bet that Jennifer Aniston was there with the lottery folks, so it's ok!

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap

I have a few questions on critiques. Are we posting in the thread or in the comments section? If we are posting them in the comments sections should we start them special like FSSCG: so every one knows it's not just people randomly telling someone what is wrong with their layout (and them joining in on the fun) Do I even make sense? I think this group is an awesome group of scrappers and love that it was done by invite only.

A few random facts about my scrapping world:
I taught myself scrapbooking through Memory Makers Mag. My first layout was in my gallery, but I recently purged it out. I couldn't handle seeing it there. I've never used anything by Creative Memories. I will buy anything by Tim Holtz . I never did all those shaped pictures. Why? They weren't in Memory Makers ! That was the only place I went to for scrapbooking. I am all about the journaling. I've been on two DT's. I am currently in love with the Scenic Route Loveland Line. I may actually do a layout about it.

Page 1 of 3157 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics