Page 3 of 3157 
Username Post: *For Scraps Sake* COF/critique group (Full and Active)        (Topic#1446845)
retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

I'm OK posting my address here - it's not like I'm following it up with my social security number and mothers maiden name. I'll PM those.

Edited by retrojulie on 01-07-08 06:44 AM. Reason for edit: Perhaps posting my address wasn't wise.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-07-08 06:51 AM
In response to retrojulie

Has anyone thought of any additional members they'd like to see in our group? Since we were originally thinking 10-15 people and we're at nine now, please feel free to send out some feelers. We want to make sure we're all on the same page, and since we'll have our first challenge soon, it'd be nice if we could get potential members in as soon as possible. Any ideas?

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

I haven't really thought about it....let me do that now

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-07-08 12:18 PM
In response to -Melissa-

Every two weeks is okay for challenges for me. I think I can keep up with that. Today I am kind of off. My DH was up in Everett checking on my dad's house and packing up stuff (my dad passed in October). I had to take the DS to school and face the traffic of conventional work hours. Yuck!! I was two hours later than my normal start time and I just am off! I hope to get back to normal asap.
Victoria

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

You know what keeps me normal? Cookies.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-07-08 02:28 PM

Hi ladies. Just wanted to post this here for you. If any of you are at all interested in ephemera (like playing cards, compasses, tarot cards etc.), the place I get my stuff (Limited Edition/Hampton Arts) has been sold and will be dismantling its Web site as of this Friday. So I think they have a sale going on (on their clear stamps too, I think). If I wasn't so broke (after Christmas stinks, doesn't it?) I'd be gobbling up whatever they've got. Anyway, I wanted to post the link just in case anyone's interested.

Limited Edition

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-07-08 10:19 PM

• retrojulie Said:
You know what keeps me normal? Cookies.

Send 'em on over!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

Good Morning Girls!

Are we ready to jump into our first challenge?

Since this will be our first challenge and, for most of us, the first time being in a critique group, we’re going to continue with the ‘first’ theme.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I’m showing someone new my albums, I always apologize when they come upon my first layout. I feel the need to explain that it was my first ever attempt at scrapbooking. It’s not a horrible layout, it’s just nothing that I’m proud of showing off.

I also know that for most of us, we wouldn’t dream of tearing it apart and doing it again. It’s kind of a pat on the back, a ‘look at how far I’ve come’ kind of thing. So, we’re not asking you to do that.

The challenge will be to take those same pictures from your first ever layout – scan them in or get reprints – and re-do your first layout using the methods and skills you’ve picked up through the years. You can do the same general idea as the first, or you can clear the slate and do a completely different kind of page. We don’t care… we just want to see what you’d change if you could.

If you want to dabble in digital, this would be a great time to do that. We’ll take digi or traditional LO’s for this challenge.

We would never dream of asking you to post your first LO in your gallery, but we won’t let you off the hook … so I’m asking that you email a scan of your LO to me at retrojulie@cox.net. I’m going to post them on our blog (http://forscrapssake.blogspot.com/). Once we’ve all completed the challenge, I’ll then post the new & improved LO next to your original. No one will critique your original LO, I think most of us are the biggest critique of own anyway – besides, do we really want someone telling us how bad that first layout truly is?

This challenge is only for fun. It’s a chance for us to get to know one another better, laugh together & see what a great group of women we’ve gathered together. Since everyone agreed that two weeks should be enough time, let’s agree to have our new & improved LO’s posted (or emailed to me) by the end of day, Wednesday, January 23rd.

Be thinking of the next possible challenge or swap or whatever… this is a group effort, so if you have a great idea for us, speak up! We can do challenges by whoever comes up with one first, or we can go in alphabetical order, or however is best.

When you email me, please put something in the subject line that makes it very clear you are not spam. I get a lot of junk mail and go delete wild if I don’t recognize a sender.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-

What a great challenge!!!! My first layout is actually in my gallery. Here's to hoping I do it more justice this time around

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to -Melissa-

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/130187/view /573565/-...

Here's my first....LOL

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-08-08 06:02 AM
In response to -Melissa-

I love this idea, Julie. And I love the twist that we don't have to take it apart. Mine's in my gallery too. It's pretty sad, but it could've been worse. At least I didn't have sticker sneeze.

I will be remaking mine using digi. For those of you who didn't know, I was one of the winners of the FotoFusion digital scrapbooking software so I've been kind of dabbling in it. It's a great way to get ideas or create sketches for paper LOs.

Julie, I'll e-mail you my LOs when I get home from work.

Thanks for a great challenge!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

Ha! A sticker sneeze... I hadn't heard that. Luckily I've been able to steer clear of Sticko's and don't have them on one single layout. I think it's the prismy look that's never sucked me in.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-08-08 06:38 AM

Great challenge. When is it due? Two weeks?

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

Yes, by the 23rd.

I'll have my first ever LO posted to the blog later this evening for viewing enjoyment & entertainment.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-08-08 07:04 AM

Excellent. I will look forward to it, as much as I am sure you will be looking forward to mine! LOL!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

• brewerygirlmel Said:

You're certainly braver than I. It's in your gallery & all. I love how yours is a prime example of why you'd never tear it apart. The orignal announcement & newspaper clipping - it'd be a shame to mess those up. I'm very interested in seeing your 'redo'!

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty

Ooo...this will be fun...I don't even know what my first lo was...I'll have to go digging through the old sb's....

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Kromkitty

Good morning!!! Anything new and exciting going on today? Anyone have any ideas of how to use the pictures on my first layout without tearing them off the page? Unfortunately, they weren't digital pics, so they are the only copy HELP ME!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-09-08 05:23 AM
In response to -Melissa-

Melissa, try scanning your page, either the whole thing or just the portion where the pics are. Make sure it's on the highest quality setting. Then open the page up and crop it down to just the photos. The quality won't be the best possible, but it should work. Can you print the photos at home?

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

I agree with Vel... definitely try scanning them in. That's what I did with all of my wedding pictures. Our photographs were all taken by guests or one of our friends. In my original photo album, I'd cut them into shapes and really did some damage to them by sticking them in one of those peel & stick albums.

When I decided to scrap them & actually do them some justice, I scanned all of them in, cropped them into 4X6's and printed out new ones for my LO's.

Some of our first LO's and a re-do have been posted to the blog. http://forscrapssake.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 3157 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics