Username Post: Train Themed Bedroom help        (Topic#1448943)
Sigmagirl
Diva
Sigmagirl

Hey, We just got my son a big boy bed (he's 3) and I want to do a train and car theme for his room. He's obsessed with Thomas, but I don't want all Thomas themed stuff. I want in classic and tasteful. Can you help with ideas for storage, decor, or places to look for train decor? Pics would be helpful!

Thanks!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Sigmagirl

Check out The Company Store. I think they have some train themed bedding and decorations.

sunberry2
Guru
sunberry2
In response to Sigmagirl

Have you tried Target?

Krystle_d
Expert
Krystle_d
In response to sunberry2

overstock has some really cute train bedding

They also have a train rug, and a train step stool with storage.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to Krystle_d

Target has train and construction vehicle themed bedroom decor here.

We bought some of the repositionable Thomas wall decals from AC Moore and they made my son's room look FABULOUS - I thought it could easily look clownish, but it didn't. Unfortunately my son managed to tug all of them down.

My next step is the Circus Train stamp set from SU - I'm going to try it on his wall.

Technique Tuesday also has a vehicle themed acrylic stamp set called Vroom. Construction vehicles and trains on that.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Bellanca on 01-19-08 02:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE
In response to Krystle_d

I did a "planes, trains and automobiles" theme for my ds when he was young...I painted his room a soft yellow...and found foam stamps at M's in the shape of a plane, a train and a car and stamped a border around his room with them in red, green and blue.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on buying lots of things with any particular theme, though. They outgrow them so fast. I would suggest a couple items relative to the theme you want and concentrate more on coordinating colors.

bgsl56
bgsl56 
Expert
bgsl56
In response to JHAWKEYE

You could find a coloring book with train themed items and use them to trace designs onto the wall to paint.

light
light 
Mayor
light
  • light on 01-20-08 07:45 AM
In response to bgsl56

Check out this site:

http://www.olivekids.com/

Sigmagirl
Diva
Sigmagirl
In response to light

Thanks ladies... I think I'm going to get a plain quilt with primary colors and then find a fun train pillow sham with some accents for the room. I found those foam stamps at M's and they are perfect! Simple and cute so I'm going to do a border with those tomorrow! I think I will get a few personalized items for the wall too. Any ideas for storage??/

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to Sigmagirl

sounds like a plan.

SharminJ
Mayor
SharminJ
In response to DivaDana

A friend of mine did her son's room in a train theme. She put a border around the top of the room with a mountain scene on it, then had her husband build a shelf that ran all the way around the room. On the shelf they put a train track and used her husband's Lionel train set on the track. It was really cool, he even rigged it up so the train would run around the room.

Sigmagirl
Diva
Sigmagirl
In response to SharminJ

I've seen that done somewhere else too and it is adorable! I would love to do that, but neither myself nor my hubby are good and woodworking... just takes too much energy to figure it out... so, maybe if we find something else, we will do it. Do you have pics? SOunds simply perfect!

SharminJ
Mayor
SharminJ
In response to Sigmagirl

I don't have a picture, but I'll call her and see if she may have some or if I can take one. Her son is now 14 so I don't know if he's changed his room, he was 7 or 8 when they did it.

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to SharminJ

For storage how about several small wooden boxes painted to look like train cars?

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to SharminJ

For storage how about several small wooden boxes painted to look like train cars?

Sigmagirl
Diva
Sigmagirl
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

THat is a great idea! I gotta find some to do that!!!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to Sigmagirl

Potterybarn Kids has some cute train bedding, but it sounds like you already have the bedding figured out. I looked on thier site to see if I could find any other cute ideas. Not so much...

I like the wooden boxes idea too.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to riorabbit

I've got a 3 year old train fan, too (as a matter of fact he's playing with trains right now), and I LOVE the idea of boxes painted to look like boxcars!

We had train photo calendars up in his room last year and this year we have one with awesome classic/vintage train posters. When the year is over , I'm planning to hang the posters around his room.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to jamesbalboa

dali decals (google it) has the cutest train decal for the wall. I did a nautical theme for my son and ordered some decals from there and they were great and easy to put up

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Sigmagirl

• Sigmagirl Said:
Hey, We just got my son a big boy bed (he's 3) and I want to do a train and car theme for his room. He's obsessed with Thomas, but I don't want all Thomas themed stuff. I want in classic and tasteful. Can you help with ideas for storage, decor, or places to look for train decor? Pics would be helpful!

Thanks!

What i did in their 'CARS' room is paint the walls a generic color, blue and one is green. i have toys on shelves. i bought some cheap fabric ($2 at walmart) and made a curtain. i found some CARS scrapbook paper and put that in frames on the walls. the comforters are in the CARS theme, but those are easily flipped or changed.

This way, all the permanent items are generic for anything and the theme of the room can easily be changed as the boys age.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics