Username Post: Stamps And Ink        (Topic#1449799)
dirrtydiesel
Guru
dirrtydiesel

I'm about to buy some stamps and inks but I have never used these before...
What do I need?
What colour inks should a beginner get?

I have chosen the journalling stamps but I'm stuck between the Distress Ink and the Ranger Ink Dadder's...

What do you experts use?

And is there anything else I need other than stamps and ink?

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to dirrtydiesel

I haven't tried the dabbers but I would think they're a bit too wet and messy for the clear stamps, though not impossible. Also the Distress pads are particularly designed for using distressing techniques and are pretty slow drying. How about going for some smaller ink pads like the VersaMagic which are smaller, easy to handle etc and then you can get a few colours for variety. Colour choice is purely personal really - what colours do you use most? Black is a basic I guess but apart from that - whatever takes your fancy!
You might want to get a stamp cleaner. Some people say they're unnecessary as you can use alcohol-free baby wipes but other say that to really look after your stamps a cleaner is best. Oh and expect your stamps to stain! It usually happens but it isn't a problem, it just looks a bit unsightly.

Edited by scrappercaz on 01-25-08 02:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Spacy Tracy
Mayor
Spacy Tracy
In response to scrappercaz

I agree with Carolyn... I thought it was a bit too messy for clear stamps... And the distress ink is specifically for distressing techniques and a few other techniques... I'm quite fond of the Color Box and StazOn inks ~ they have them here in the superstore. They are pigments so they do take a little longer to dry but not too much. And since they are pigments you can emboss with them should the mood strike your instrest! As far as a specific color... I'd get whatever you use on a regular basis. Do most of your LO's keep with the same color scheme? Black is a very basic color to start with...

Good luck, HTH

Brid
Brid 
Idol
Brid
  • Brid on 01-25-08 08:16 AM
In response to Spacy Tracy

You're going to need an acrylic block if you're going to use clear stamps. You can use the distress inks for regular stamping, I have, but keep in mind that you might have to stamp the image twice. And black and brown are always great to get started with.

dirrtydiesel
Guru
dirrtydiesel
In response to Brid

• Brid Said:
You're going to need an acrylic block if you're going to use clear stamps.

i don't really understand why you need another thing as well as the actual stamp. i have seem them in the store but why do you need them? how does the stamp stay on the block? how do you know what size block you need?
Products Referenced in This Post:

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

I just started using acrylic stamps. They are actually little pieces of clear acrylic that stick to a sheet with some wacky-tac type adhesive. You pull them off the sheet and stick them to the block. Stamp with it, clean the stamp and block, and move the stamp back to the sheet. It has an adhesive on it that allows you to take it off and restick it repeatedly. As for the acrylic block, I have heard that you can also use a clear plastic CD case instead. I haven't tried that, though.

I like Stampin Up inks, the Colorbox chalk inks, and staz-on. I use the distress inks for distressing only, for the most part.

As for what color to get, I'd start with the basic black and brown. If you have a major craft store chain near you, you can use 40% off Coupons or wait for a sale to get some stamp pads in sets.

I have tried both the baby wipes and stamp cleaner with a scrub pad. I think the stamp cleaner/scrub pad combo works best myself. I will probably take a small pack of baby wipes with me to a crop, though, because it's easier to transport and clean up. And like someone else said, the inks stain the stamps but this does not effect your other images.

scrapali22
Expert
scrapali22
In response to siameseplease

I would suggest buying a cleaner it's unknown whether babywipes dry your stamps out after a while. Black and brown are good starters and I must say that for quality and colors I love CTMH (close to my heart) I think that there stamps are strong and durable and the blocks are easy to use. The inkpads come in 60 different colors and you can buy a set of six colors for something under 35$ (CAD) thats what I tried and I really do love them, they are top quality and no more expensive then other acrylic stamps. I'm experienced with lots of stamping and I find even the Autumn Leaves stamps are too thin they rip easy. any more questions feel free to PM me.hope I helped

iluminot
Veteran
iluminot
In response to scrapali22

I started with these colors:

cranberry
French blue
black
white
orange

Substitute orange for your favorite color (orange is mine), and add brown... and that was a great way for me to start. Aside from the absence of brown, which I really need, I have not yet needed or even wanted a color other than that starter kit. Here's why:

Cranberry is a mix between red and purple, and it's pink if you use it lightly. This should suit almost any reddish, pinkish, or purplish effect you're going for.

French blue is a lighter, almost pastel blue, so you can use it with your darker blue schemes as well as your lighter blue schemes.

Black and white are just a given!

Orange is my favorite color, whereas you might want green or whichever. Brown is so necessary for inking.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 01-25-08 04:14 PM

You need the blocks (or a cd case) to hold the stamps as they don't have a handle as they lay flat.The block gives you something to attach them to and something to hold on to to place & stamp them. HTH

Lena
Lena 
Resident
Lena
  • Lena on 01-25-08 05:58 PM
In response to scrapali22

• scrapali22 Said:
I would suggest buying a cleaner it's unknown whether babywipes dry your stamps out after a while.

I'm not an expert, but I think it was the drying "alcohol" in the old-old-old baby wipes that caused stampers to avoid them.
Years ago, I went to a DOTS party (now CTMH) and that's the answer the consultant gave (but then she could've just been pushing her cleaning product)

Today, baby wipes are marketed as alcohol-free. I use baby wipes to clean my stamp, but I don't stamp very often. Plus, baby wipes don't dry out my baby's toosh either....
I guess it would just be whatever the preference is of the user.

My first color was GREY, I love it. I would also pick a light brown too. They're not harsh and go well with lots of other colors (paper and ink).

Edited by Lena on 01-25-08 06:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics