Username Post: Wherever do I start??        (Topic#1449937)
New Kid On the Block

I have always wanted to scrapbook and have "played around" with it for a few years. Now I have a space all my own in our new home and have no idea how to best get started. I sit down and it all looks so overwhelming! What is the best way to start? What are the essential items I need to get started? Thanks in advance!

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to abbismimi

It can be overwhelming! I have been scrapping for years and am just now venturing out of the basics! I would recommend that you get your photos good & organized. Decide which ones you plan on scrapping and organize them into some sort of categories(vacations, calendar years, holidays, whichever you prefer). Then just start one layout at a time til you finish an album. I always remind myself that I don't have to scrap every single photo, and sometimes if I feel I'm getting too far behind I'll buy some regular photo albums and put pictures in them also(you can always go back and scrap them later if you want). Some good essentials in my opion:
scissors
adhesive
paper trimmer
eyelet setter
paper piercer(I use to make holes for brads)
black journaling pen
ruler
solid color cardstock
some good organizers(for photos, tools, embellishments, paper, etc.)
There are lots of other things that make it fun & easier, but you really can just buy supplies slowly, and before you know it you'll have more than you know what to do with! Good luck, and remember it's a hobby not a chore, so make it fun!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to abbismimi

luv2scrap:) gave some good advice. Start with the pics and decide what the 'story' is you want to tell with them. Pick your papers/cs from the colors in the pics. For design elements, check out the gallery and the sketch section. Sketches help a lot when I have a 'brain block'. Don't forget to journal to share 'the story'. Start with something recent: a holiday or birthday and you'll be pleased to have accomplished something. Have fun.

SammeyG
New Kid On the Block
SammeyG
In response to Sunnydi

I haven't started mine yet. I have enough pictures to start 2 or 3 scrapbooks. But I too seem so overwhelmed. I have been just lurking on and off on this site for awhile. I guess my only question right now is on adhesives. The frist one that I made a few years ago it came in a kit. In the kit was a glue stick. But I found that was just a little messy. Any other suggestions?

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to abbismimi

The age old question! This was my dilemma not long ago. Honestly, you just have to dive into it. I think the gallery here helps me a lot, since it helps me focus on a design and not just slapping pics and stickers on a page. I don't have any of the special tools, I just have a lot of lovely paper (both solid cardstock and pretty patterned stuff), a pair of scissors, a ruler, and some adhesives.
It's nerve-wracking to cut into a piece of patterned paper , for fear of "ruining" it. But you get over that fairly quickly.
Maybe pick some layouts you like in the gallery and scraplift for a bit until you get a sense of what you like and what you don't.

celstin0406
Idol
celstin0406
In response to SammeyG

I like either the double-sided sticky squares or Glue Dots for pictures, because then I can still reposition them if I need to. For paper, I use regular craft glue.

ScrapperReba
Veteran
ScrapperReba
In response to celstin0406

A huge way that I learned was from scrapping with other people. Ask around and find out if there are any consultants nearby (Creative Memories is my company of choice) or informal gatherings. That way, you can see what others do and ask them - most likely they've been doing it for awhile, too.

Besides supplies, one thing I struggled with early on was establishing what "my style" was. At first I just used pre-made layout kits and went from there, being as creative as I wanted to. I tend to do most of my layouts simple and easy to look at, but you may want to spend lots of time on one page to make it just right. Either way, this isn't something you learn overnight, it takes awhile.

Good luck and welcome to scrapping!

Stlouisoma
New Kid On the Block
Stlouisoma
In response to ScrapperReba

I am also new, and organizing pics is a great but very overwhelming start. The old pics are in boxes by dates, and the new ones are all on the computer.

The first thing I do is to go thru a stack and THROW AWAY all pics you HATE!! If you don't, in 25 years, those unflattering pics of you with a "cod fish" stare will come back to haunt you.

Edited by Stlouisoma on 02-09-08 09:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

wednesdayaddams
New Kid On the Block
wednesdayaddams
In response to Stlouisoma

I read Jill's Scrapbooking Fundamentals E-Book, and I absolutely loved it, and I learned so much from it.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to Stlouisoma

• Stlouisoma Said:

The first thing I do is to go thru a stack and THROW AWAY all pics you HATE!! If you don't, in 25 years, those unflattering pics of you with a "cod fish" stare will come back to haunt you.

Ok, I don't completely agree withthis statement... There are plenty of photos of me as a teen that I hated then, but now I don't. Looking back they weren't that bad, I was just self conscious. However, some are absolutely horrid and I don't look like myself. Those... I might toss.

TheScrapAddict
New Kid On the Block
TheScrapAddict
In response to abbismimi

First off, welcome to scrapbooking! Once you really get going, you'll never want to stop!

The number one piece of advice I give everyone who starts out is 'Don't overbuy'. Figure out your style and what you like. Read blogs. Chat in forums. Scrap with other people and see what tools and materials you like. Scrap at stores and use their equipment to get a feel for what's out there.

Then stsrt buying (and you'll know what you want!)

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sunnydi

HI! Thanks for the advice. What do you mean about the sketch section. Where do I find that?
Thanks,
Leora

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics