Username Post: Clear stamps        (Topic#1450071)
jmkphillips
Tenant
jmkphillips

I've seen some really beautiful "clear" stamps at the store. I understand you need a "block" to use them? I'm not sure how that works...do the stamps stick to the block? Can you use any type of ink pad with these?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Brid
Brid 
Idol
Brid
  • Brid on 01-27-08 01:58 PM
In response to jmkphillips

The stamps will actually peel off the the plastic and stick right to the block. you can use any ink pad with them, just wash them off with water when you're done.

ScrapperKate03
Expert
ScrapperKate03
In response to Brid

I've recently started buying tons of these stamps for card making and the alphabets because they are so easy to place on your page. The clear block and close cut letters let me put things exactly where and how I want them... something that I was having tons of trouble with when I used regular wood-block rubber stamps. Good luck and have fun with them!

jmkphillips
Tenant
jmkphillips
In response to ScrapperKate03

Thanks for your help

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Ohhh...that clear stamp set you linked to is one of my favorites too! That, and this one:

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I have found the blocks that have an indentation on the edges easier to hold and use. The ones with straight sides (for me) are harder to use and easier to drop (oh ick). I have some with the indentations....but can't remember the brand name.

ScrappinSage
Veteran
ScrappinSage
In response to Sunnydi

What I really enjoy about clear stamps is how economical they are compared to wood-mounted stamps. Most wood-mounted stamps are at least $6 per stamp, where for $12 to $15 you can get an entire sheet of clear stamps! I have also found that investing in a few clear alphabet stamps has been INVALUABLE to my creativity, even though I have a hard time getting over the initial price (usually around $20 for a set.)

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to ScrappinSage

I love my Close to My Heart block BUT if I were to start all over from scratch I would have bought the Fiskars stamp press. You only need ONE and it costs about $15 and almost every stamp on the market will fit on it--I have yet to find one that is too big, including those big old Fancypants stamps--they event fit.

Edited by Jennifer Priest on 01-30-08 11:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Sunnydi

• fourblueyes Said:
I have found the blocks that have an indentation on the edges easier to hold and use. The ones with straight sides (for me) are harder to use and easier to drop (oh ick). I have some with the indentations....but can't remember the brand name.

Close to My heart blocks have the indentation. And the Fancy Pants blocks are kind of wavy on the edges to allow for easy gripping.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Jennifer Priest

I am thinking about getting rid of my wood mounted stamps and switching to clear. I am glad I read this post first because I didn't really know much about them. Thanks for the helpful tips you guys had for jmkphillips's--it helped me out as well!

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to luv2scrap:)

I just bought this acrylic block and really like it to line up and space my letters.

bashfulscrapper
Idol
bashfulscrapper
In response to Love 2 Learn

While I have some various-sized acrylic blocks & love them, I thought I'd mention that I've heard of others successfully using "around the house" products instead of blocks. So, for anyone who is eager to get started and has the stamps but not the blocks, a favorite trick is to use an old CD case. The stamps will stick to them just fine, and the case is clear so you can still see what you're doing. I think the blocks are easier to hold, but I'd certainly use a CD case in a pinch, if didn't have a block, or a block the right size.

And I'm totally hooked on the clear stamps, too!

NewScrapAddict
Veteran
NewScrapAddict
In response to bashfulscrapper

The block I use the most is a wavy edged one with grid lines on it (I don't know the name brand). Perfect placement every time and easy to hold on to. I also have a bigger one that I bought when I first started. I thought I could use it for everything. But it's too hard to hold on to.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to NewScrapAddict

I have one block that I got on discount. It drove me a little crazy, things got crooked very easily. I looked into getting the Fiskars stamp block with the foam feet.
Then low and behold I walked past the quilting section of J's one day when they were have a sale on their quilting rulers, (you know, the different squares, rectangles and triangles). They all have perfect measuring grids on one side and a smooth acrylic surface on the other. I have 3 different ones I purchased for a total of $12.50. They take up no real amount of space and work perfect every time, even on my huge Fancy Pants stamps!

Edited by NoirCat on 02-03-08 07:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics