Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Removing Stamps from wood block        (Topic#1450077)
Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 01-27-08 01:08 PM

OK...I am not sure I want to do this....It really seems like some kind of a crime or sin or something LOL...but I am slowly but surely edging towards removing my stamps from the wooden blocks they are on. I am getting such a large collection, it would save so much room to store them I know.

Can someone who had done this (Brave Soul) tell me how to go about it...and how do you then store them....do you put "Tac it Over and Over" on them??

Diva
In response to Ande

Me, I usually soak them in water (keeping the bulk of the block above the water level) for a while, then use a razor blade to carefully peel the padding away.

After that, I usually remove the padding as well, place the stamp on EZMount, then stick it in a CD case and use them on acrylic blocks.

msatterf
Pro
msatterf
In response to PookasCrayon

I think that I read somewhere that you can microwave for a short time to warm them and they come right off the wooden block

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to msatterf

You can really do this? Hmm...that would SOO help save space!

scrappintlc
Queen
scrappintlc
In response to CMLeach

What do you do with the wood mounts then once you have them all off? Please tell me you don't throw them away.

Also how do you get it off the rubber?

Not sure I want to do this yet or not too. But some of the sets I have make more sense in alignment to do this techinique.

scrappintlc
Queen
scrappintlc
In response to scrappintlc

And I am not sure I like that Tack It Over and Over, I used it for the first time yesterday and I had a very hard time getting it off the acrylic block. And does it ever come off the rubber stamp itself?

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 01-28-08 05:56 AM
In response to scrappintlc

I did heat a couple yesterday in the Microwave and they peeled right off the wood block. One is a little sticky tho and sticks to the acrylic block...Anyone else have this happen??? I used Undu to take the tiny bit if the stamp off the A. Block. Any solutions for that problem??

With the Tack it Over and Over...you need to let that dry over night. I have used that befor and it worked really well....I wonder if putting that on the back of the one that is sticking would cover the problem area.

I was thinking about the Blocks too...being the compulsive pac rat that I am...was thinking I would clean them with Undu or something and recycle them to the Daycare room for building blocks...would be neat with the pictures on them.

skarletbegonias
Guru
skarletbegonias
In response to Ande

I'm afraid to take this step too! I really want to take them off the wood because then I can store them with my acrylics, but I'm just not sure I can take the step! I don't know why, but I feel like I'll regret it later! What's a gal to do!

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 01-29-08 05:22 AM
In response to skarletbegonias

• skarletbegonias Said:
I'm afraid to take this step too! I really want to take them off the wood because then I can store them with my acrylics, but I'm just not sure I can take the step! I don't know why, but I feel like I'll regret it later! What's a gal to do!

Well, I am taking the plunge...talked to a good scrapper friend last night and she said she did hers a couple years ago and LOVES it...she stamps the image on a sheet of cardstock and puts that in a page protector and then sticks her stamp to the OUTSIDE of the protector...She used Aleene's Tack it Over and Over on the back of them. She said they are still nice and tacky after a couple years. So, I am going to take a deep breath and go for it. I have around 700 stamps so just think of all the space that would free up. I'm saving my blocks for the kids to build with...use undu on those to get the last of the sticky off.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 01-29-08 06:36 AM
In response to Ande

I don't want to spend $$$$ and have them ruin.

How do you keep them from curling when they are off of the wood??

I have a load of hand-me-downs that are all off the wood and curled something awful. I soaked one in warm water and have it sitting under a brick at the moment to see if that does anything helpful. It is like trying to stamp with a ball and because you have to roll it just doesn't come out pretty. Some still had the prices on them and they were not cheapies. They have lived their life in a climate controlled area (its not like they were in the windshield of a car). Any clue??

EJs Mom
Tenant
EJs Mom

good morning.

i purchased a brand of clear stamps but found that i can't use them with my acrylic blocks. for the life if me i can't remember name of the brand of stamp that i bought. sounds like ezmount may be the solution. can you buy the ezmount in your local craft store?

thanks.

Diva
In response to EJs Mom

You'd be better off looking in a LSS, most regular craft stores don't carry it, since they don't carry unmounted stamps. You can find it just about anywhere online, however. I know both of my LSS have it in stock MOST of the time.

The problem is that using the EZMount on clear stamps takes away one big advantage to clears: they stop being clear, so just like normal rubber, you can't see what you're doing as well.

skarletbegonias
Guru
skarletbegonias
In response to Ande

Good luck you brave girl! Let me know how it turns out! Maybe take some pictures of the process to share.

• Ande Said:
  • skarletbegonias Said:

Well, I am taking the plunge...talked to a good scrapper friend last night and she said she did hers a couple years ago and LOVES it...she stamps the image on a sheet of cardstock and puts that in a page protector and then sticks her stamp to the OUTSIDE of the protector...She used Aleene's Tack it Over and Over on the back of them. She said they are still nice and tacky after a couple years. So, I am going to take a deep breath and go for it. I have around 700 stamps so just think of all the space that would free up. I'm saving my blocks for the kids to build with...use undu on those to get the last of the sticky off.

hannacat
Guru
hannacat

I actually did remove all of my rubber stamps from the wood blocks. I uploaded some images and placed a description of the process in my blog.

http://scrapbook.com/blogs/121025/view/104 607.html

Products Referenced in This Post:

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 01-29-08 06:18 PM
In response to hannacat

• hannacat Said:
I actually did remove all of my rubber stamps from the wood blocks. I uploaded some images and placed a description of the process in my blog.

http://scrapbook.com/blogs/121025/view/104 607.html

That was great info...What kind of plastic sheet did you place them on...where did you get them?? And where did you find clear plastic envelopes?? I like the "flip through" way to look at them. I had thought of what one gal did stamping the image on Card stock and putting that in a page protecter and then sticking your stamp to the outside of the Page P...but not sure if they will stay adhered to the PP...She said they do, but I'm not sure...she keeps them in a 3-ring binder. I think I like your method better

hannacat
Guru
hannacat
In response to Ande

You know, the binder thing works also. But what I like anout the envelopes is that you can take an envelope or two out of the basket and have all of your holiday stamps on the table with you and if you go to crops and such (I never have) I would think it would be easier to take a few envelopes than a few binder pages.

I got the clear envelopes, storage cards, foam backing, and scissors at blockheadstamps.com.
I have to cut the plastic sheets a little to make them fit nicely into the basket I have. And the envelopes are just letter sized clear envelopes. I have to cut these also. The way I do this is, I slip the plastic storage sheet with the stamps into the envelope, seal the envelope, and then cut along the long side so make an open-ended pouch. If I could find envelopes that seal on the long end instead of the short end, I guess that work a little better for me. Anyway, hope that wasn't confusing?

Also, little thing about blockheadstamps.com. When you place an order add one of these to your basket, they are free when you order. I think they are cool.

dot stippling template

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 01-29-08 07:27 PM
In response to hannacat

• hannacat Said:
You know, the binder thing works also. But what I like anout the envelopes is that you can take an envelope or two out of the basket and have all of your holiday stamps on the table with you and if you go to crops and such (I never have) I would think it would be easier to take a few envelopes than a few binder pages.

I got the clear envelopes, storage cards, foam backing, and scissors at blockheadstamps.com.
I have to cut the plastic sheets a little to make them fit nicely into the basket I have. And the envelopes are just letter sized clear envelopes. I have to cut these also. The way I do this is, I slip the plastic storage sheet with the stamps into the envelope, seal the envelope, and then cut along the long side so make an open-ended pouch. If I could find envelopes that seal on the long end instead of the short end, I guess that work a little better for me. Anyway, hope that wasn't confusing?

Also, little thing about blockheadstamps.com. When you place an order add one of these to your basket, they are free when you order. I think they are cool.

dot stippling template

thia is very interesting...where on the site do I find the plastic sheets?? and what size envelopes do you get??

hannacat
Guru
hannacat
In response to Ande

the foam and plastic sheets are here:

foam and plastic sheets and scissors

scrapbook.com also has the scissors

The clear envelopes are here:

9 " x 12" Cellophane Envelopes - Crystal Clear Envelopes

Products Referenced in This Post:

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 01-29-08 08:03 PM
In response to hannacat

• hannacat Said:
the foam and plastic sheets are here:

foam and plastic sheets and scissors

scrapbook.com also has the scissors

The clear envelopes are here:

9 " x 12" Cellophane Envelopes - Crystal Clear Envelopes

I really like the envelopes...am going to order those...I will need so many of the plastic sheets I wonder if I can find something cheaper for that...I already have the scissors...They are wonderful!! Did you stamp the image on your Key sheet?? I see some are colored...did you do that??
I am so excited about this method...as I said on your blog I would be alot more comfortable with this method...I like to "Flip" through things LOL

rather than stamp the images for the Key sheet I suppose you could Copy the front of the wood mount couldn't you??

scrappintlc
Queen
scrappintlc
In response to Ande

I have a question regarding somethign you said in yro blog on this subject:

You said you don't take the foam backign off the rubber..if that is the case then why do you then add it to the ez thin mount? Doesnt' tat amke it too thick?

Also a wonderful point was brought up above in a previous post, the rubber wont' then curl without the thin mount and only the tack it over and over if soemone were to go that route?

Also if I have already put tack it over and over one a stamp can I then put it on this thin mount?

700-1000 stamps? I must have that many too, and boy of boy the room I'd ahve. Wow though the time this woudl entail. Wow....

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics