Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: gluing paper to chipboard advice        (Topic#1450429)
scrappin...mom
Veteran
scrappin...mom

Last night I glued paper to some chipboard. I used a glue stick ( Uhu stic brand). I tried to spread it on heavy. After it dried I began running the chipboard through my cuttle bug. As I was finishing up this am, I noticed the paper was flaking off/not sticking. What kind of adhesive does everyone else use for this? I thought it would be easier to glue the paper 1st and then cut instead of cutting both the paper and the chipboard and then trying to glue them together later.
Products Referenced in This Post:

laurbernet
Idol
laurbernet
In response to scrappin...mom

I use mod podge, matte formula. It takes time to dry, but works great. My second choice is Aleene's Tacky Glue. Same deal with the dry time.

scrappin...mom
Veteran
scrappin...mom
In response to laurbernet

I have neve used mod podge? How do you apply it? With a brush?

moonhoney2
Guru
moonhoney2

mod podge to glue things? Huh, that's interesting. learn something everyday here.

ajroemisch
Idol
ajroemisch
In response to moonhoney2

I use Beacon's 3-n-1 glue and Zip dry. They are great...They dry super fast....Check your HL in the adhesive section. Not the adhesives with the scrapbook supplies. HTH!

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 01-30-08 10:28 AM

It depends on the project for me, but I use Modge Podge to attach paper to large pieces and Fabritac for small things..for the modge use a foam brush and apply thin layer and rub your paper good while it dries and it doesn't take that long and won't bubble up...I have had terrible luck with taht Aileens glue causing my paper to buckle....after all is dry I use some sand paper to sand the edges smooth.

Reeluvs2crop
Veteran
Reeluvs2crop
In response to Kiber

Honestly, I used that type of glue once and never used it again! Like the others said Modge Podge is the best for that type of project!

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Reeluvs2crop

I was told by bobunny that in order for paper to stick to chipboard not to use a glue stick, it isn't sticky enough. They use mod podge for large chipboard but for letters, I have used a ZIG Glue pen. Have never had paper fall off before. I also use a ZIG pen to attach chipboard letters to my layouts, even if they have adhesive stickiness on the back of them, they don't fall off layouts either.

Diva
In response to lilmrmaid

To add mod podge to small things, I use the most convenient tool I have -- my fingers. Larger surfaces get a foam brush.

Since all paper is different and has different amounts of "stretch" when wet, don't glue and walk away. Smooth it out, and remove any bubbles or wrinkles. Heavy cardstock usually doesn't require this, but thinner papers most often will.

Melissa S.
Diva
Melissa S.
In response to PookasCrayon

I just worked on a canvas..I used my scrapbook adhesives roller to attach the paper to my chipboard (brown cardboard stuff that the stores use to prevent paper from getting messed up in bags)Once it was attached I used my scissors to cut around the leaves. To finish it off I inked the edges. I don't know if I could do this though on small objects. I have mod podge but didn't think I had to use it on this.

Edited by Melissa S. on 01-30-08 12:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to laurbernet

I would use a light layer of Diamond Glaze spread on with a brush. Or a adhesive runner so you cant see the glue

scrappin...mom
Veteran
scrappin...mom
In response to Just G

Thanks for all the tips. I will definitely pick up some mod podge next time I am out. Just curious, what are other uses for mod podge?

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 01-30-08 01:50 PM

I use it all the time to alter almost anything...wood boxes, bowls, frames, notebook and journals, photo boxs, the covers of albums, anything you can alter...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Kiber

My opinion... throw away the glue stick!!! They are not good for much.

I use my xyron for attaching PP to chipboard, then sealer or paper glaze (like Diamond Glaze ) over the top.

Brid
Brid 
Idol
Brid
  • Brid on 01-30-08 03:23 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm another mod podge girl!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to Brid

I'm also a mod podge junkie. Hubby cracks up laughing every time I buy the HUGE bottle of it..but it goes quick with all of the uses it has.

shopgirlaudi
Mayor
shopgirlaudi
In response to Diva Scraps

I use ZIG Glue also. LOVE this stuff and it's never given me any problems.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to shopgirlaudi

Glue sticks basically aren't good for anything heavy or long term. I use 3M glue. Love it. For paper, glitter, and just about everything else but vellum. I use spray adhesive for that.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• scrappinnewmom Said:
Thanks for all the tips. I will definitely pick up some mod podge next time I am out. Just curious, what are other uses for mod podge?

I just used it this week to alter some wood letters. I used it to glue the paper to the wood. I did not top coat the paper with mod podge though as liked the 'plain paper' look. They are in my gallery.

New Kid On the Block

Yes! Paste is the BEST!!! I think it's better than MP and doesn't wrinkle at all.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics