Username Post: Eyelet Question        (Topic#1451733)
Spacy Tracy
Mayor
Spacy Tracy

I've never used eyelets before... and I know you have to have a tool to use them. Would one of those little hammers set them or is there a specific something else?

TIA
Products Referenced in This Post:
Making Memories - Hammer (Discontinued)

christine3625
Resident
christine3625
In response to Spacy Tracy

i have the one MM and love it. the only down fall is that they are loud to use. i had the ones by friskars (that had the springs) and they were much louder! everytime i used them my BF and dogs would run and hide. the MM are still kind of loud but not as loud!

New Kid On the Block
In response to christine3625

I have the MM Hammer set and honestly HATE it. It's loud (I have two small children, one who's an infant) and maybe I'm just weak but it takes me several hits before I get it flattened.

I recently bought the PC Silent Setter and LOVE it. No noise. Ya, it takes strength to push down on the setter, but I find I'm using less effort to set the silent setter than I was using with the MM one.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to snowflake12

I have an eyelet setter... think it's MM. It's just a rod with a pokey thing on the end that goes through the end of the eyelet (it kinda looks like a flower), then you hit the setter with a hammer. Yes, it's loud, but if I remember correctly it was pretty cheap.

LaDiva
LaDiva 
Diva
LaDiva
In response to *jesse*

May I ask another question? I used my MM hammer for the first time a few weeks ago,,,,,My eyelets flattened alright!!!!So much so that I had no more *eye*!!!

Did I hammer too hard or could it be that my eyelets were cheap?? (bought them at the dollar store).

I have since then decided that I HATED eyelets LOL!

Thank you!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to LaDiva

Personally I use the cropadile and won't go back to the silent setter and DEFINITELY not to the old hammer!
All it takes is a simple soft click and it's set.

And with the Cropadile you can cut through nearly everything! Light metels, hard plastic, rubber, leather, you name it! Very handy tool to have around, just for the punching ability alone.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to LaDiva

• LaDiva Said:
May I ask another question? I used my MM hammer for the first time a few weeks ago,,,,,My eyelets flattened alright!!!!So much so that I had no more *eye*!!!

Did I hammer too hard or could it be that my eyelets were cheap?? (bought them at the dollar store).

I have since then decided that I HATED eyelets LOL!

Thank you!

You did use the setting tool (with the flower-like tip) and not just the hammer??

Could be the eyelets. I have some that are very soft and difficult to set without squishing.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Spacy Tracy Said:
I've never used eyelets before... and I know you have to have a tool to use them. Would one of those little hammers set them or is there a specific something else?

TIA

I noticed that no on answered your question.

You cannot set eyelets with just the hammer. You need another tool.

You'll need something to punch a hole in the paper (I use the MM anywhere hole punch).

You also need the eyelet setter. My Making Memories universal eyelet setter has 3 or 4 different tips for different sized eyelets. The tip is flower shaped.

There are several posts here about eyelet setting. I think someone may also have a video (or a link to one).

Spacy Tracy
Mayor
Spacy Tracy
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Spacy Tracy Said:

TIA

I noticed that no on answered your question.

You cannot set eyelets with just the hammer. You need another tool.

You'll need something to punch a hole in the paper (I use the MM anywhere hole punch).

You also need the eyelet setter. My Making Memories universal eyelet setter has 3 or 4 different tips for different sized eyelets. The tip is flower shaped.

There are several posts here about eyelet setting. I think someone may also have a video (or a link to one).

I was just thinking to myself... so does this mean I CAN just use the hammer!? hahaha!!!
thank you!!!

i might have to look into a cropadile.. seems like you can do more than just a couple of things with it!

thanks again!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

LOOOOVE my cropadile I use it to make my own chipboard albums, punch through things like CDs, aluminum, etc.

Expert
In response to Here Kitty

I have the Making Memories hammer, hole punch and setting tool. I don't use these anymore. It is loud, but free if you want it. Just let me know. I'm also in so cal, so I might just be able to drop it off.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Sylver_Mercedes

If you're looking into the cropadile--look for the one coming out that has a long reach--otherwise you can only set the eyelets so far into the page. I have the Karen Foster Clickit and really like that one too. It's not completely silent, but you get one POP instead of the banging of a hammer. And you can use that one anywhere on a page as well. It has several sizes of hole punches so you can set lots of sizes of eyelets.
Products Referenced in This Post:

grammie10
New Kid On the Block
grammie10
In response to scraprabbit

Also moved from setter with hammer to spring load setter to Crop-A-Dile and wouldn't go back. New long reach cropadile is on my wish list.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 02-14-08 02:50 PM
In response to grammie10

I have the Making Memories eyelet setter. And it is loud. I saw the PC eyelet setter at Borders. It was way cheaper than the MM one. It said silent setter, and my sister told me I should have gotten that one, since it said silent and it was cheaper. Oh well, too late now.

brenlynn
New Kid On the Block
brenlynn
In response to rustedantique

I just started scrapbooking myself and was also wondering about this, so thanks for asking, Tracy. But, I'm also wondering (spacy Bren) how are eyelets used? Are they used for tying ribbons through... or...? I'm stumped.

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to brenlynn

I have the scraparatus, and love it. It punches holes, sets eyelets, and even has little dinky dies to die cut. It is super easy to use!

scrapam
Guru
scrapam
In response to llprncess3

Hi Tracy!!! I love the Crop-a-dile but wish I could reach anywhere on 12x12s like new one does.

sibboo
sibboo 
Idol
sibboo
In response to scrapam

I have the Crop-a-dile Big Bite and LOVE it! It lets me reach anywhere on the page. I used to hate eyelets until I got this tool. Now I use them on almost every LO that I do.

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget

I love my MM eyelet tool set. I also have the slit tool set to make slits in the paper to hold pictures....

I use alot of eyelets and brads. I like the control I have of the tools. and I an punch holes any where on the 12 X 12 paper.....

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics