Username Post: Genealogy/Family SB - help!        (Topic#1451793)
ScrapperReba
Veteran
ScrapperReba

I am considering starting a HUGE project that involved years and years of family pictures, letters, etc. that my paternal Grandma has in several huge cardboard boxes. I am told that most of the pictures don't have names on them, so I would need to be at my Grandma's (6 hrs away from my house) while taking down info. I was thinking about spending a week or so sorting through all the stuff (they live on a quaint farm that would be relaxing to go to!) and then take the rest home and work on it here. I'm really not sure where to start.

If you've done a project like this - scrapbooking any type of family memorabilia - do you have any advice? I'm hoping to get it all into one or two books. And, if someone has already posted a thread on this, please send me the link!

JaniceMO
Queen
JaniceMO
In response to ScrapperReba

If she has several large boxes and you are hoping to make one or two albums, I would suggest maybe going with a plan, who are the people you want to know about most, what do you want to know about them, make a list of those things you would like to document, and try to search out those pictures,take a tape recorder Grandma may remember some great stories going through pics, You can buy a special pencil that will allow you to write on the backs of the photos without damaging the image on the front. good luck with your project!

ajroemisch
Idol
ajroemisch

K & Company teamed up with Ancestry.com to make an awesome line of papers. This might help you get started....Check in the superstore!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg

I've not done a project of that magnatude but that sounds like it would be a blast to do! The largest "project" I have done was my dad's military book. Some background: He was drafted into the Army during Vietnam. He bought a camera before going to boot camp and then proceeded to take pictures of every place he was stationed, including the boat ride over to vietnam and while he was there. He had all of the photos made into slides and sent home to my mom from where ever he was. (Until this past year, no one had ever seen them.) When he came home from the war in 1964, life moved on, the slides sat in boxes on the top shelf of his closet and it was rarely discussed. 2 years ago I got him talking about boot camp and he lent me the slides to make into pictures for him but - he did not know I was going to makea book for him. Over the years he has had health issues, one of them involving a stroke that messed up alot of his memory. When he saw some of the pictures for the first time on fathers day of 2007, He had no idea for most, who the people were or where they were taken. The more pictures I scanned in and sent him (he is in another state), the more he started remembering. Anyway, long story short... his book has taken me over 2 years to put together because of the amount of work to make the pictures and then research all of the places he was. I scanned in all of the slides, fixed them and printed them at home. I still have 4 more pages to do for his book. He has seen it 3 times so far, to help with filling in details about different things and I can honestly say that he loves his book. My mom loves the fact that it has helped him to remember alot about that time in his life.

Projects like this, digging into the past, are overwhelming but I really feel that they are necessary and also alot of fun to do. I cannot wait to re-do all of my mom's old magnetic photo albums from her teenage years to the present. (My mom also does geneaology and has been working on our family tree- both sides of the family - for over 30 years!)

Sorry this got to be so long...

Enjoy the project and good luck with it!

ScrapperReba
Veteran
ScrapperReba
In response to Shutterbugg

Those products by K & Company and Ancestry.com are amazing! Thanks for pointing them out!

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat

I have done something similar to this for an entire family. What I did was go through the stuff by myself first. This was after both of my grandparents had passed away and this was found in their things. (an entire buffet drawer full of pictures, postcards, memorablia and letters) Then when I had developed a file system based on what methods I use I put a pad of paper in each file. I listed the items in the files and questions I had about each, if any. I set about finding relatives and friends that might know what I was looking at and what it meant.
I found that doing interviews with questions in hand helped fantastically. Keeps you on track and the information flowing. I also kept a mini-recorder in the box for the interviewing of older relatives. That way I wouldn't have to interupt for the parts I didn't understand. I could trying and figure it out later or ask later.
I made b&w xeroxs of items so I could write on them when necessary for info.
I took what I had learned, started my scrapping and went back to the people I need to as I went. The letters and memorablia that needed preserving I put in vellum envelopes and such.
When I finished I scanned the album pages in color and burned to dvds. I gave everyone in the family a dvd copy. That way they had an album, plus if they wanted to spend the money to have it printed, it would be their cost, not mine. Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Good luck

~Chere~
Diva
~Chere~
In response to NoirCat

I just put together a mypublisher.com album of old photos like yours. My mom and I went through the photos and picked out the photos of the people we knew and then put the others in another box and took those to my great aunt to tell us who the people were. It was a long process and there are still some we have no idea who the people are.

I scanned in all the photos at a high resolution and used those. Eventually I want to put together a "real" scrapbook but it's such a daunting task so someday I will get around to it.

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 02-08-08 05:26 PM
In response to NoirCat

I have finished a 12x15 heritage album and have a set of three I am working on right now.

NoirCat has given you some good ideas.

I would add: Only put in memorabilia and pictures you have inherited from family. I have genealogy records separate from things I have received from family members. You can still says who is who with pictures. Otherwise, the heritage albums will never get done.

Think of your heritage albums as being a place for family artifacts.

Edited by Judes on 02-08-08 05:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Forredheads
New Kid On the Block
Forredheads
In response to Judes

Hello,
I am so glad that I happened across your message tonight. As it turns out I am about to embark on a genealogy scrapbooking of sorts project myself and I am feeling very overwhelmed. First of all I don't have any experience in scrapbooking, so that is going to be a major hurdle in itself. I figure that I have to start somewhere and I have been wanting to do this project for some time, so off we go.
But the reason that I am so happy that I stumbled across this post is because of the ideas that have been shared here, including the suggestion to look at some of the products that K and Company have to offer. I think that after looking at some of their products that I will get a good start with some of them.
I guess, basically I just wanted to say thanks for even asking the question in the first place. Being a newbie, sometimes it is a little tough to jump in the water for the first time!
Renee

Edited by nvhawki on 05-24-08 02:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Forredheads

I did do this though on a smaller scale. I had about 15 shoebox sized full of pictures from the time my Grandpa was born until he was married.

Last year he was 85 and I made the album without him knowing (just said I wanted copies!) Most of the pics I had no idea who was in them, luckily they were dated.

I ended up doing them by year, and left tags/items/etc. to journal in later.

I'll get the book up so you can see the idea.

Have fun, and treasure each moment... I know it's overdone, but pictures really do say a thousand words...

I will get them up in my gallery by Monday and let you know!

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

Hello,I have been working on my heritage albums for a few years. I also do genealogy. I have 2 12x15 albums and 2 12x12 albums started. I started with the story of the 1st ancestor that came over and added a family tree. I then added photos in chronological order starting with my gg and then ggrandparents and working forward to my grandparents and so on down the line. I did add some memorobelia. If you go to my gallery I have a 2 page lo of my ggrandmother as a girl wearing a gold locket. She gave me the locket with a picture of my ggrandfather and that is on the 2nd page of the lo. If your grandma isn't camera shy I think it could be nice if you could video her telling you about the photos and things. You are very lucky she saved all those items,Enjoy!

New Kid On the Block
In response to JaniceMO

take along a tape recorder with you. Just turn it on and place photos in order as you go. This will help your get through more photos since writing takes sooooo much time, and you'll have your grandmother's narative to go along with each photo(you'll have great journaling).

formossissima
Expert
formossissima
In response to arobbinsnest

I've thought about doing something like this for my father-in-law. He and my husband have been doing genealogy research for almost a decade, and have found SO much information about all sides of their family.

If you have the Lux ury of a large extended family, enlist some help! A great-aunt of my husband put together a big family cookbook project some 10-15 years ago - asked everyone for photos, memories, and recipes. I think they all sent in some $$ for their copies of the finished book; it's been an awesome way for me to get to know some of the extended family members I haven't had the chance to meet, and some of the family history from the last few generations. My hubby just finished a photo montage (with titles, sound, etc. on DVD) for this summer's family reunion. We won't be able to make it, but there are hundreds of pictures in there of his grandparents, their 12 kids, and all the various descendants.

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to formossissima

Hello Everyone! I just wanted to bring this threaad up to the top again because I think it is an important and fun thread that can add alot to your scrapbook and you can ask others for help on finding information and give information like you have already done to help others move forward with their project!

Being that it is a holiday weekend and may of us will see family members. Don't forget to take along that tape recorder and a pad and a pencil and take notes on what stories rellies have. Ask them if you can have a copy of any photos they might have. With everyone there you might get more input to who married who and where and when and how many children they had and even some names to follow up on. Occupations, residency and stories make great things to put in a Journal book. As you make up pages you will get more information that you can add to other pages. I just work back from who is present back from their generation to the past generation..soon you can start looking up things using birth certificates, census, church records, marriage certificates and death certificates. Family Bibles are a good thing to ask about too! If your family does not have one than ask for Funeral cards that someone might have kept so you can begin gathering information that way too!

HAPPY HUNTING AND HAPPY EASTER! Take advantage of this family time. Take five minutes to interview each person who is visiting or celebrating with you this holiday!

Edited by KITswpa on 04-11-09 10:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH
In response to KITswpa

Having done something similar with my mother's side, some tips:

Use ring-bound albums; you can always go back and add pictures and stories as family memebers recall them.

Be prepared to add corrections to pages (double-space your journaling or have wider than normal margins for this pupose) as family members remember or recall different dates and names/nicknames of people.

Have fun, and have other projects to do when you start to feel burned out on this one; heritage albums can take awhile to complete.

BlingPrincessMarci
Diva
BlingPrincessMarci
In response to CarrieBH

I am currently working on something like this. my dad has 12 brothers and sisters, so that makes for a ton of pictures!

check out my gallery, in the Family Tree Album to see what I've been working on

i have tried to use as many pictures as i can.. so ive made the pictures smaller so i can get at least 8 on a 12x12

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to BlingPrincessMarci

Hi Marci What a great resource to have that many family members to help! For now my Journal blocks are just index cards in the page protectors . I agree it is fun to collect everyone's comments!

I will post my page of my Great Grandmother and Grandfather soon. I have a photo of them and to add interest I got things off the internet about ships and prices and posters that might have been seen for trips to the USA. I maked a book of tags for each of their children and the pages after that will be of each of them and then their children. My Aunts and Uncles and their children I have collected High School Senior photos and also the Military photo of each Uncle which would have been around the same age as our graduation photos. Most of the Aunts were in each others weddings so I am now collecting those and will have a page for each of those families. It has been alot of fun!

ScrapOfRobin
Expert
ScrapOfRobin
In response to KITswpa

Happy Easter !!!!

I've been wanting to start a family tree scrapbook, just didn't know where to start. There's so many ways to organize it, that I simply can't decide. I've also been working on my family tree for over 25 yrs. and have tons of info. I've already gotten some ideas from this thread and may even start it this week. So, thank you very much ladies. Please keep the tips coming!!

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to ScrapOfRobin

I thought long and hard how to do this album. I was going to use a three ring albulm with page protector for each page. I was going to do single, double and more pagea in a layout/person/generation as I needed. Some of the stories are worth keeping out in the open. I also was going to start in the middle and work my family toward the rear and my husbands family toward the front. After seeing how much information and photos I had and journaling and family groups, I decided to do an album for my family tree and one for his family tree. His family is fairly small and mine was branching out in all directions. This settled that one problem. I do have both albums bought now and I see a printed paper I put it in the album and slip the photo in with it. I might find a piece of lace or fabric for a page and I put that in with those things. I am taking my time but it is starting to all fall in place!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics