Username Post: Distress Paints        (Topic#1452573)
Aunt25
Aunt25 
Queen
Aunt25

I just opened my first bottle of the Tim Holtz Distress Paints and was kinda surprised by the consistency. It was really thick, kinda reminded my of the past glue you used back in school. I guess I was just expecting something with a thinner consistency. Is everyone else's that thick?
Products Referenced in This Post:

AZGIRL
Expert
AZGIRL
In response to Aunt25

Yes

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to AZGIRL

Yep! Also-the thicker you paint it on, the deeper the cracks will be. Have fun with it!

Aunt25
Aunt25 
Queen
Aunt25
In response to Kim222

thanks gals!

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to Aunt25

hmmm, sounds like fun. i don't have any but that makes me wanna get some.

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to Prettylolo

one question, does it dry clear like mod podge?

Resident
In response to Kim222

Kimscraps:

I've been wanting to try this as well. But, I heard it flakes. Someone said they use a 'sealer' after it has dried and before they attach it to their layout. What kind of sealer do you suggest?

catey
catey 
Veteran
catey
  • catey on 02-15-08 01:27 PM
In response to oilbrat

Thanks for the information!
Products Referenced in This Post:

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to catey

I purchased every color last week. Came home and tried 1 bottle. I loved the effect however when I put the page in the page protector and slight bent the paper to fit it in all the paint fell off. I am afraid in time that I will just have a page protector with alot of flaked paint in the bottom so I returned all of them. I felt bad because the effect is awesome. Maybe for another project just not a scrap lo. JMO

scrapam
Guru
scrapam
In response to creater1

Surely there's some pro tips from Tim Holtz himself on using his crackle paints on paper! From what little I've seen/heard of him, he's a great guy!

ScrappinSage
Veteran
ScrappinSage
In response to scrapam

I've worked with this stuff and love it! I have had NO problems with it flaking off, but I think that depends on the surface you're painting on. If it's paper or cardstock then the paint will grab onto the surface and stick, but if it's a shiny surface like plastic or metal it's probably not going to adhere as well. Don't give up hope- this stuff is great!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to ScrappinSage

I used it on chipboard bookmark and it did start to flake. I didn't use a thick layer, so not sure if that was the reason, but I let it dry then covered it in a thin coat of Diamond Glaze . No more flakes!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Prettylolo

• Prettylolo Said:
one question, does it dry clear like mod podge?

Nope. It dries the color of the paint. You can seal it with mod podge if you want. I used the Diamond Glaze to seal mine since thats what I had here.

If you want a clear crackling medium, try the Ranger Crackle Accents (I think thats what its called). That gives a cracked look to whatever you put it on. Pretty cool.

You can also use thick coats of UTEE (put each layer on, use your heat gun to dry it and repeat to get the desired thickness). Once its dry, you can crack it yourself by bending it. Its a cool look, too!

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to Kim222

I was just reading on the Ranger site under Tips and Techniques that if the paint is to thick mist some water into the bottle.

curias 
Resident
In response to tina c

I just did a video review of the paints the other day. I found it flakes off slippery surfaces - like buttons, but sticks to paper, chipboard, grungeboard, canvases...

http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=264

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics