Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Wondering how some of you have solved this dilemna        (Topic#1452993)
DeAnna...
Diva
DeAnna...

I am working on a heritage album. I've read through the trads on here about it but I'm still stuck. If I were only going back a couple of generations it would be easy but I have to go back 6 to 10 generations. Not all in photos of course but in memorabilia as well. anyway I cant follow a direct line (as in Father, Gfather, GGgrandfather and so on)they obviously married and the women had parents and grandprents as well, so how do you keep adding in these splits of families for so many years. I'm looking at over 20 to 30 family names and I feel completely overwhelmed. Not to mention aunts uncles cousins to the inth degree! Is this making sense? Also take my Ggrandmother Lamb. She was a Milson and married a Lamb. Do I put her photos in Lamb or Milson or split them? younger ones with Milson's and older with Lambs? It just doesnt flow. Help I'm lost

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to DeAnna...

Darn, girl, I am overwhelmed just reading it!

Would it help to make a family tree, then you could do a few pages for each "branch"?

scrapam
Guru
scrapam
In response to DeAnna...

I will be doing Heritage album at some point too. I assumed I start w/ all the ancestors first. But I see what you're saying & it will be a delemna for me too. Actually though, I'll just be doing my Father's side, so it won't be as bad for me. That's the hard part--have fun creating the pages! Best of luck w/ it Sweetie!

DeAnna...
Diva
DeAnna...
In response to scrapam

this is just my mother's line. It's not any easier LOL! I wanted to add though my Ggrandmother Lamb Divorced the first Lamb and married his brother so both she and my ggrandfather had families with thier later spouses all of which are still related to me. there are several instances of this kind of thing. one where a couple married and had children and a few generations later thier gggggrandchildren married. So i have a one set of gggggggrandparents twice. I dont know i'm so lost LOL!!!!

Breee
Breee 
Resident
Breee
  • Breee on 02-18-08 12:36 PM
In response to DeAnna...

maybe you could get the "extended pages" and when you are doing a family, but the "split" in the family on the inside? I don't know if that makes any sense at all haha

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to Breee

I haven't actually done mine yet, but part of the reason is that I was wanting to solve the same problem. My plan is to do a large fold out family tree at the front showing only direct lines and use it kind of like a table of contents showing where to find each family. Then, within the album, at the beginning of each family group, have another family tree just showing that piece, probably with members that aren't on the direct line tree. Does that all make sense? Hope that helps.

chattycat
Expert
chattycat
In response to CatScrapsHere

Yikes! Where do you start?

I've been working on a heritage album for my mom for just her side of the family. I only have pics going back to my great-grandparents as children and she wanted me to start there. I did her father's side first and I'm now starting on her mother's side. Even this has been challenging.

I don't have any advice. We have a family genealogy book that was put together a few years back from a far removed cousin in the family and it is SO confusing.

Maybe start with pages that will have photos of more immediate relatives (like ggrandparents) and work forward like I did to get it started and then figure out the really older stuff.

You're really talking about undertaking a genealogy book and that's HUGE.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to CatScrapsHere

My sister is in the process of researching our family heritage and has some neat software that she uses. You may want to look into this first for documenting all the information like dates, places, etc. Then from there you can do a family album. That is where I am starting. I'll be getting all of her information and then try to put an album together. GOOD LUCK.

JustHorsingAround
Diva
JustHorsingAround
In response to SmartyPants

I feel even more overwhelmed about doing my own heritage album now reading this!

I would make it as simple as possible and keep it to one book per "side" of the family:
Your Grandparents
Your Parents
You/spouse
Your children
Aunts/Uncles with spouses
Their children (your cousins)

One each page, I would have their statistics and maybe a small story about either where they grew up or how they met their spouse or something simple.

I saw a really simple family tree ablum in an issue of CK a while back. You might find it on the CK website....

DeAnna...
Diva
DeAnna...
In response to JustHorsingAround

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!
If you think about going farther than Granparents or even GGrandparents it just seems to balloon. 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 GG granparents, 32 GGG grandparents and so on. with multiple marriages after deaths and divorces it just grows and grows. Which is why I decided to work my mother and father seperately. I did do a family genealogy book and used family tree maker which was great for a text book. But does not design a good tree on paper. my tree, just going back 16 generations with 5 gens to a page is 39 pages. and I actually go back 23 gens. not on every line of course and photos dont go back very far but I would like to include the info as data sheets as well. I think I'm making it worse...LOL!!!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to DeAnna...

My mom has been working on our family geneology for the past 30+ years. All spread out and joined together, she can "carpet" her entire house and then some. For her actual geneology books, She split each family up into individual books and where family over laps (Say, a smith marries a Jones) she includes the same photo of the "couple" in the Smith Book as well as in the Jones book. So, basically, she leveled down the primary (most common) family names and thoe became the root level books and then she built on from there. All of the books tie into one another very well.

(In her books, she has photos or the people, some photos of original homesteads, some photos of tombstones if she could not get a people picture, data sheets on each person, marriage/birth/death certificates when she can find them, etc...)

I got all confused reading your post and original question so I don't know if my answer helps.

Valerie_C
Pro
Valerie_C
In response to DeAnna...

I've got a similar problem with my album. I find that there are certain lines that have more personal meaning than other, lines that have more significant photos / memorabilia than other lines. I start with those major lines and go straight back.

Then I'll pick up another line and go straight back. If there are tiny off shoot branches I'll stick those in as well, but if it requires more than two pages I hold off for later. The lines might not always be near each other in relationship to each other, but it keeps each branch straight.

I also start off each branch with a title page/family tree to keep things explained and easier to follow. I used the pages below for that. You might also want to go ahead and plan for multiple albums if you have such an extensive tree (ie. father's side, mother's side, and nuclear family).
Products Referenced in This Post:

Valerie_C
Pro
Valerie_C
In response to Valerie_C

Also, you can always stick the family group sheets for tree charts down between the pages for the nitty-gritty details that just aren't as... aesthetically pleasing

SspGrandma
Expert
SspGrandma
In response to Valerie_C

You are way more ambitious than i am, i have a headache just thinking about that kind of undertaking!

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to SspGrandma

well just a quick note. Ive seen other people do it this way. They put the last name of the person as it was at their death... They then put in (maiden name and other sir names used) My great grandmother out lived 3 husbands so I know it can be trickey

Veteran
In response to DeAnna...

We did this as part of a larger community book (you want to talk about WORK!?) but we went chronologically per family - from oldest to youngest. For instance we started with the oldest members. Steve and Sally Smith had three children, Joe, Jane and Sam. So we wrote about Steve and Sally first; introduced their children etc., then the next section started with Joe and his subsequent family - right down to the youngest leaf on his branch . Then the next section started with Jane ran through her 'line' and so on. We had the titles in a larger font for the oldest on down to the youngest (We only had 5 or 6 generations though - so you might not be able to do this - but you could identify the person as Jane (Smith) Jones (always included the maiden name in brackets)- Generation TWO, just so if someone flipped open the book it could be easily identified where they fit in the grand scheme of things. It really is a work of love because it takes a LOT of planning and time and patience - but the result is priceless. Best of luck to you!

Edited by SunnyAB on 02-19-08 09:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapinboyz
Expert
scrapinboyz
In response to SunnyAB

I've got family trees going back over 10 generations and I'll be doing some albums at some point. I decided early on to work back and forward from my grandparents. Not sure why now but it's working for me. So all the ancestors leading up to my Grandfather will be in his album, etc. My thought is to have a paper tree at the start of the album...likely have to fold out somehow...then work back in a direct line from my grandparent's birth. Anything that is not directly connected to my grandparent (ie cousins, etc.) will get stored in an archive safe box with my grandparent's name and the album will have a note corresponding to the box so future generations can find the extra info. In the end I'll have 4 albums on my side and 4 albums on DH's side.

Grandparents forward will start with their birth and continue till I can no longer do and maintain albums.

---
one where a couple married and had children and a few generations later thier gggggrandchildren married. So i have a one set of gggggggrandparents twice. I dont know i'm so lost LOL!!!!
---
I've got that too...heck my own grandmother was her own 3rd cousin LOL

bashfulscrapper
Idol
bashfulscrapper
In response to scrapinboyz

I'm afraid I don't have any helpful advice - I gave up.

I've been playing around with my genealogy for a couple of years, and was hoping to incorporate all that into some scrapbooks, but it's not going well. I've pretty much reached the conclusion that "something is better than nothing", so I'm taking it one layout at a time.

I'm sticking to 2-page layouts, concentrating first on anyone I have photos of, and including as much information as I can to identify them. In other words, I have a 2-page spread of my G-G-Grandparents, where I list their birthdates, marriage date, and children's full names and birthdates, with a photo I have of most of the children. As I go, I'm just going to put the pages in the best order that I can, grouped by family, then date. The way I see it, as long as each 2-page spread clearly identifies the people, even if they're not in order, they are still valuable.

But this is really less than ideal. Mostly, I just wanted to wish you luck, and kudos for even trying this. I am an obsessively organized person, but I've become so overwhelmed by the whole genealogy thing that most of my stuff is currently hidden in a closet until I can get up the guts to face it again.

stephyirene
Veteran
stephyirene
In response to bashfulscrapper

Hi, newbie (sort of) here. My husband's great-aunt made a heritage album. If I remember correctly, she started with her great-grandparents - her great-grandfather came to Ellis Island from Germany. She started with he and his wife then to the children. Each section is a line from the children in birth order on down to our children. Does this make sense? For example, great-grandpa Albert and his family - one of his sons, Arland and his family, then my f-i-l and his family, then my husband and I!

I hope this is understandable and helps.
Stephanie

LeaLa
LeaLa 
Expert
LeaLa
  • LeaLa on 03-20-08 06:03 PM
In response to stephyirene

How about having a first page where you have the "tree" as the actual LO and then refer them to pages later in the book. That way the pages are just of that person for the most part and then under the group pictures you can write who the others are and what pages their other pictures can be found on.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics