Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I have a question about page protectors .        (Topic#1453815)
Tenant

Hey there everyone, I am new on this forum. I have a question that has been puzzling me for ages, and hope some intellegent and creative soul out there can help me!
I want to make a scrapbook WITHOUT the page protectors . I am trying to make a vintage type looking scrapbook, and I don't like the look of the protectors (plastic covers) with the style. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for making one without the protectors. Here is what I have and what problems I have run into:

I have a 12x12" scrapbook, with those metal screw things (I think its called post bound?)
The problem I have is, that If I holepunch the page, the spine and screw part will take up 1-2 inches of the page, leaving me with a short page compared to the cover of the scrapbook. (because the protectors usually have a pocket for the pagees and then a perforated edge with holes to clamp into the book.
Also, if I do this, how do I get the opposite side of the page? Do I glue the pages back to back?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated! Thanks alot!

Gio.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to The Scrapbooker

Attach a 1" (or however much is needed) strip of a neutral cardstock to the edge of the paper. Glue it in between the front and back pages and punch the holes for the posts.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

Attach a 1" (or however much is needed) strip of a neutral cardstock to the edge of the paper. Glue it in between the front and back pages and punch the holes for the posts.

Tenant

Also, if this isn't possible, please tell me so.

Tenant

Also, if this isn't possible, please tell me so.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

Attach a strip of neutral colored paper to the edge of your 12 x 12 sheet, then glue the front and back pages together. You can punch holes for the posts on the strip.

Tenant
In response to scrap4brains

Will this be an efficient way? Will it break or fall loose easily? And you said cardstock right? What is the strongest scrapbooking glue, or glue that I should use?

Tenant

Will this be an efficient way? Will it break or fall loose easily? And you said cardstock right? What is the strongest scrapbooking glue, or glue that I should use?

Tenant

on_the_plains
Expert
on_the_plains

You might want to check out and see if there is a differnt album out there. I got one like you are talking about from Crate and Barrel as a wedding gift. It does not have page protectors . The pages are all the same cream color and very thick. It also has a pieces of tissue paper between the pages. Just another option if you need one.

ajroemisch
Idol
ajroemisch

I honestly dont think that this is a good idea. Just because when you have people looking at your pages that you work so hard on, their hands might leave oil on them. Also, they may have other residue such as foods on them. After a while, the pages may become torn up. I would seriously think about doing this. I think that attaching a 1-2" piece of cardstock on the edge would eventually become brittle, because some of your pages might be pretty heavy due to the embellshment that you add. I think the page protectors are your best bet, unless this is not an album you plan on keeping for a while!! But, thats my opinion.

Tenant
In response to ajroemisch

Yah. I dont mind the torn up alittle and finger oil. I think it adds a je ne se quoi to my vintage style book. The only thing I am concerned about it the brittleness, and how long it will last. Any other suggestions to go about this?

ajroemisch
Idol
ajroemisch

I think as long as you use good acid free products, you will be fine, then! Good luck with your venture and dont forget to add pics!

Tenant
In response to ajroemisch

Thanks. I am trying to make a "Practical Magic Spellbook" type of scrapbook. Looks kinda vintage and used, but BEAUTIFUL!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312

There are albums out there that are postbound and don't have page protectors . I'd just use one of those and save the album you already have for a different project. Plan to use lots of adhesive on things because the page protectors don't just keep fingerprints off the pages, they also help keep stuff in place.

Cindy

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to cindy312

Creative Memories has Scrapbook that you buy the page protectors seperately. So you can do the page and not have page protectors and if later on you decide that you need page protector you can buy some and just slip them on.

JenniferD
Veteran
JenniferD
In response to cindy312

I wouldn't use a post bound scrapbook. I would purchase a different style of album such as a journal or make a paperbag or chipboard album...there are also strap hinge style albums with pages such as Creative Memories albums, but I don't think those have the look you are going for.

I have also seen altered books...could purchase an old book at a thrift store and alter it to suit your needs and keep the solid binding.

I'm sure you can still purchase the old fashioned *vintage* looking scrapbooks somewhere too....have you checked ebay or googled?

TriciaH
Guru
TriciaH

Don't know if this will help, but here's a few albums that don't use page protectors .
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by TriciaH on 02-25-08 03:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to Mix-on the Memories

Will the pages from Creative memories fit in a normal scrapbook?

JenniferD
Veteran
JenniferD

• The Scrapbooker Said:
Will the pages from Creative memories fit in a normal scrapbook?

Their pages are strap hinge bound not post bound.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics