Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: How to use clear stamps?        (Topic#1455511)
New Kid On the Block

Hi everyone!
I'm brand new to scrapbooking (as in - never made a single 'layout'), and I'm doing some online shopping to get started.
I found some beautiful swirly and alphabet clear stamps - but I can't tell how to use them.
Do you have to cut them apart?
Do I need to buy something to stick them on to use? - I've seen some clear blocks, but don't know what they're for. Will one block work for all the stamps?
And I guess another good question would be - is this a good purchase or should I look into something else (I've been reading up on the forums' lists of things people never use...)?
Any help and tips will be much appreciated - Jess

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to jessa10

• jessa10 Said:
Hi everyone!
I'm brand new to scrapbooking (as in - never made a single 'layout'), and I'm doing some online shopping to get started.

Welcome!

I found some beautiful swirly and alphabet clear stamps - but I can't tell how to use them.
Do you have to cut them apart?

Nope! They come sandwiched between two clear sheets--you just peel them off, stick them on a block, and stamp away.

Do I need to buy something to stick them on to use? - I've seen some clear blocks, but don't know what they're for. Will one block work for all the stamps?

Yes, buy a clear block. You can get several sizes--I have one big one and a couple smaller ones. (If you're using a smaller stamp a smaller block will help you control it better.) They will stick over and over again--if they start losing stickiness (none of mine have yet) rinse them with water, let them dry, and then they'll stick to your block again. You can mix and match brands of stamps/blocks with no problem also.

And I guess another good question would be - is this a good purchase or should I look into something else (I've been reading up on the forums' lists of things people never use...)?

I LOVE clear stamps! I get so much use out of them--especially alphabets, flowers, swirls, etc.

Any help and tips will be much appreciated - Jess

skarletbegonias
Guru
skarletbegonias
In response to scraprabbit

Welcome!! I love clear stamps too. I had some stamps, but I never really used them. That was until I discovered the clear acyrlic stamps. I use stamps on almost everything now.

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to skarletbegonias

Love clear stamps too! I have to blocks. One larger and one smaller. Seems to work just fine. Especially, when you are just starting off and are accumulating supplies still.

magpiefound
Diva
magpiefound
In response to kaye222

also, if you buy any that are too big for your blocks, you can use a clear cd case too!

New Kid On the Block
In response to magpiefound

wow - thanks so much for all the tips - i can't wait to get started!

curias 
Resident
In response to jessa10

You can check out my blog. Last Wednesday I did a video feature on Penguin Pants Rubber Stamps and show you how to use clear stamps.

www.scraptime.ca

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to curias

I have been scrapbooking for years, but just started using acrylic stamps. I love them! They are easier to use and store than wood block stamps, and they add so much to any layout. I think they are a great purchase, because they are something you can use over & over again! I just have one larger block for now, but will probably buy some smaller ones later when I quit spending money on stamp sets! The larger one works fine for now!

mommo
mommo 
Tenant
mommo
  • mommo on 05-30-08 06:43 PM
In response to luv2scrap:)

No one has mentioned using a Fiskar's product. Fiskars is known for their scissors and other products. The Fiskar's I have is a clear rectangle with 4 orange foam circles on each corner. You lay your clear stamp on it and then you can position the stamp over your paper before pressing it down. You can see exactly where your stamp is going. I love it. You local scrapbook store may demo one for you. Oh I guess I should also say that there is a clear rectangle in the middle that can pop out and can be used separately from the push down part.

GinaAlyshia
Pro
GinaAlyshia
In response to mommo

welcome...i LOVE my clear stamps...i have one block (4x6) and i use it for all my stamps

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to jessa10

Thanks for asking that question I have been wondering about clear stamps, for about 2 weeks. Now I know...

Meldawn
Veteran
Meldawn
In response to scrappinmylife

I have played around with the clear stamps and love them, but haven't taken the plunge to buy any since finances are tight! If you could only buy one or two sets, what would you start with? Alphabet? Flourishes?

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Meldawn

Hmmm....for me it would be: alphabet, flourishes, or the journaling ones.

mariposa326
Diva
mariposa326

Great thread! Thanks for starting it, I had been wondering about these, too!! I think they will be my next adventure in scrapbooking... lol like I need to buy more supplies...

JoanE
JoanE 
Idol
JoanE
  • JoanE on 06-01-08 07:36 PM
In response to mommo

• mommo Said:
No one has mentioned using a Fiskar's product. Fiskars is known for their scissors and other products. The Fiskar's I have is a clear rectangle with 4 orange foam circles on each corner. You lay your clear stamp on it and then you can position the stamp over your paper before pressing it down. You can see exactly where your stamp is going. I love it. You local scrapbook store may demo one for you. Oh I guess I should also say that there is a clear rectangle in the middle that can pop out and can be used separately from the push down part.

It is called the stamp press and comes in 2 sizes. I used one at my Fiskars training and finally found one today. Great tool to have if you are making cards. Position it once and stamp away. It has a grid to help line everything up.

Technique Tuesday, LLC
Veteran
Technique Tuesday, LLC
In response to JoanE

Clear stamps are so easy to use.
If I had to choose only 1 set to start with it would be an alphabet set, then you have titles you can make over and over again.
My favorite stamps to use are the journaling stamps, then I never have to worry about writing in a straight line.
If you start with a larger block it should fit most of your stamps, just center the smaller stamps and lay your block stamp side up on your work surface and ink into your stamp, rather than pressing your stamp into your ink, you will have more control.
Hope this helps?

charlotte237
New Kid On the Block
charlotte237

I'm new to the clear stamps too. Which side of the blocks do you use, the etched side or the flat smoother side of the block? Thanks!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to charlotte237

All 3 of my blocks are smooth on both sides. I love my clear stamps. Right here on sb.com they have a lot of clear stamps for under 1.00 each. They are really cute. Should check them out.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to debby_westbrook

Check out the video here about using clear stamps:

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/529.html

I have no idea what Charlotte is talking about. My blocks are all smooth on both sides. And, it wouldn't matter which side of the block, unless the stamp wouldn't stick to the 'etched' side.

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to Bxr-Linda

i don't even use the blocks... i don't feel like they are incredibley necessary? my stamps come out just fine. its not "perfect" but i kinda like a little rugged look

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics