Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: How to use clear stamps?        (Topic#1455511)
Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to charlotte237

• charlotte237 Said:
I'm new to the clear stamps too. Which side of the blocks do you use, the etched side or the flat smoother side of the block? Thanks!

I've never heard of a clear block with an etched side. I think you may be mistaking the grids for etch marks. Some blocks have a grid on them so you can line the stamps up - like if you're using letters. it's still smooth though like the blocks with no grid.

Edited by Here Kitty on 05-10-10 05:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to kelsey kay 2012

I found three different sized blocks in the dollar bin at J as well as all of the stamps I own. A buddy of mine on here told me she used an ash tray (or coaster) as a block..as long as the bottom is flat.....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to HisGEM

• New2thisgame Said:
I found three different sized blocks in the dollar bin at J as well as all of the stamps I own. A buddy of mine on here told me she used an ash tray (or coaster) as a block..as long as the bottom is flat.....

Anything will 'work,' but if it's not clear, it sort of defeats the purpose of using clear stamps.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • New2thisgame Said:

Anything will 'work,' but if it's not clear, it sort of defeats the purpose of using clear stamps.

I guess I should have mentioned the ashtray/coaster was glass LOL

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to scraprabbit

• scraprabbit Said:
  • jessa10 Said:
Hi everyone!
I'm brand new to scrapbooking (as in - never made a single 'layout'), and I'm doing some online shopping to get started.

Welcome!

I found some beautiful swirly and alphabet clear stamps - but I can't tell how to use them.
Do you have to cut them apart?

Nope! They come sandwiched between two clear sheets--you just peel them off, stick them on a block, and stamp away.

Do I need to buy something to stick them on to use? - I've seen some clear blocks, but don't know what they're for. Will one block work for all the stamps?

Yes, buy a clear block. You can get several sizes--I have one big one and a couple smaller ones. (If you're using a smaller stamp a smaller block will help you control it better.) They will stick over and over again--if they start losing stickiness (none of mine have yet) rinse them with water, let them dry, and then they'll stick to your block again. You can mix and match brands of stamps/blocks with no problem also.

And I guess another good question would be - is this a good purchase or should I look into something else (I've been reading up on the forums' lists of things people never use...)?

I LOVE clear stamps! I get so much use out of them--especially alphabets, flowers, swirls, etc.

Any help and tips will be much appreciated - Jess

thank you so much for explaining this. i had been wondering the same thing!

Linda Haulsee
Veteran
Linda Haulsee
In response to Lamoo12

Thanks so much- I was just looking at clear stamps and I could not figure them out- THANKS!

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to Linda Haulsee

I really need to explore the best inking techniques and inks for stamps. I have a few but never use them because I don't think I have the right ink for them.

chantalb
Resident
chantalb
In response to sunrenay

• sunrenay Said:
I really need to explore the best inking techniques and inks for stamps. I have a few but never use them because I don't think I have the right ink for them.

I have the same problem, its all so confusing to me. The other thing is that on smaller stamps or stamps with a lot of detail, the stamped image doesn’t come out to clear, what am I doing wrong?

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to chantalb

You need a clear acryllic block to put them on to use for stamping as a backing and I use colorbox inks and tim holtz inks.

Edited by Just G on 11-18-10 05:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

melmarie80
New Kid On the Block
melmarie80
In response to sunrenay

• sunrenay Said:

I have the same problem. With my clear stamps, I can't get them clean afterwards.

brookeblogs
Veteran
brookeblogs
In response to melmarie80

Thanks so much for this thread, it's really helpful! I got a lot of info I needed from it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lamoo12

I have a question on clear stamps that I am trying to use on polymer clay. some of the small ones i have include several stamps on one "sheet". How do I isolate one from the other designs in order to just stamp that one. For example, g studio ones i have are 2" by 3" yet have 8 tiny stamps on them. But if i only want to impress on the clay, how can i isolate it? thanks for any suggestions.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to psyched

You peel it off the clear backing and put the individual stamp on an acrylic block.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
You peel it off the clear backing and put the individual stamp on an acrylic block.

yep
The backing sheet they come on is NOT used to stamp them. It's just how they're displayed. You have to take the stamps OFF to actually stamp with them.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to melmarie80

Thank you guys sooo much for this crash course tutorial! I was wondering myself how to use them. I saw a really cute one I wanted to buy, but it was floppy and flopped all over the place and I didn't see how I could possible get it to stamp good with it being like that. I will go sometime this week and pick that up along with a block. Woohoo! Thak you.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lunareclipse

Yes, I know u have take the sheet off the back. my problem is that they are 8 words on this 2 by 3" space and I only one to use one of them. how can i only get the one word in the middle to stamp and not the others around it on polymer clay? I get that if stamping, u only ink the one word but to impress it on clay, is there any way to only get one word to print? Do i have to cut them all into individual stamps in order to do so on polymer clay? any suggestions are appreciated. thank you.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to psyched

I suppose you can cut them apart. If you don't wish to though, you can take something and cab the ink on your stamp so it's localized to only that word. If you aren't planning on ever using all of those words together, then it would be easiest to cut them apart.

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to Lunareclipse

Post it notes make great masks to block off part of an image if you only want to print a portion. Not sure that would work so well on polymer clay, though - you'd probably have to cut the images apart.

Diva
In response to Seaside Dreams

Great ideas! I want to try some of them.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 10-16-12 06:10 PM
In response to bayamonesa1

You can do really fun thigs with stamps. Try stamping your image in glue and sprinkling glitter on it. you can also colour in your stamped images with chalks, inks or even pencil crayons. Stamped images are also great for cutting out and using on cards. It is important to clean your stamps off well after using them or between colours. Baby wipes are awesome for cleaning them and getting all the ink off.

Edited by KDQ on 10-16-12 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics