Username Post: paper selection        (Topic#1455707)
New Kid On the Block

i need some helpwith paper selections, do you recommend buying individual sheets or the packs of paper. i love the layouts on this site amd when i buy the paper separate i have difficulty coordinating it.

Expert
In response to blue devil

I'm buying packs of card stock now and idividual printed paper. I used to do the opposite, but now I find that I have TONS of pp that I'll never use and not enough card stock.

sibboo
sibboo 
Idol
sibboo
In response to Sylver_Mercedes

I am the same way! I buy bulks and packs of Cardstock and single pages of patterned paper . If I find a pack of patterned paper that I know I will use all of it, I will buy it. Most of the time in the packs, I only see 4-5 patterns that I really like and the rest are just OK. I try not to get those unless the price is unbelievable!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to sibboo

I buy bulk in cardstock (it's a lot cheaper than buying individual sheets anyway) and only buy them individually when I need a specific color for a project but I don't need all the other colors (normally this happens with brown...and black, but black I get in a pack).

patterned paper I buy individually, although friends bought me a stack 2-3 years ago that I'm still going through (it's not what I would have picked for myself exactly).

The most recent set of patterned paper that I bought in a pack was this past year's Christmas Glitter Stack by DCWV. It was hugely on sale after the season and I loved almost every page in it.

Coolbunny
Veteran
Coolbunny
In response to CMLeach

If you have the option to buy cardstock in larger quantities, that might be best (since I'm guessing you can save some money on buying a larger quantity).

I personally love picking out patterned paper s individually, since the few times I bought a kit/package it always only came with HALF of the pp I would want to use.

If you enjoy buying kits/packages of patterned paper , then by all means keep doing it!

Whatever works for you. :P

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to Coolbunny

I am pretty new to scrapbooking but I have bought both cardstock and patterned paper in a set. I just make sure I like most of the paper in the pack. I have been lucky and found paper I like on sale and find it easier (at least for this beginner) if the paper is already color coordinated for me. I also really like the CTMH sets that have cardstock and patterned paper together in the pack.

fuzzlekins
Diva
fuzzlekins
In response to caraboo

To date I've used only individual pp in my LOs (barring digi); however, I have recently purchased a couple of paper packs. If you have trouble coordinating, I'd say kits or packs are definitely the way to go. Just be sure to watch out for sales.

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to fuzzlekins

I see so many using Brazzill cardstock. However, it is a bit too expensive for me because I love all the other stuff out there. Like, stamps, paints, embellishments..... So what I buy is the DCWV solid stacks from Joann they have many colors and the paper is thick... Plus when there is a sale you can get it for 9.99. Lasts me many for many LO pages.

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to kaye222

I have gotten stacks for gifts and I have boughten a couple speciality paper stacks and a big 600 page stack from costco. I usually buy my patterned paper individually tho. and I love buying the sold paper in stack or packs because it is usually cheaper that way. I do use alot of paper... and I have a lot of paper..... but I am a paper hoarder so I will be paper poor for the rest of my life....

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to pearlygadget

I am a paper addict. I buy sheets, packs, bulks ...I just buy and then try to organize in family colors.

Melaniedreams
Veteran
Melaniedreams
In response to tina c

Cardstock from joann.com in packs. Suggested above.:)

I love the printed paper and have a hard time resisting it, but its true that you will use more card stock.

vanessajd2285
Veteran
vanessajd2285
In response to Melaniedreams

i am a paper stack addict!! i have too many paper packs to count...but i just love dcwv packs...but i do need to buy more cardstock in packs...it will be used more!

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to vanessajd2285

i buy stacks, packs, (whatever) of both cardstock and paper. I can't shop 'per project' so to speak and i'm a total addict so I just buy packs. plus, i suck at trying to coordinate and mix and match so i find it easier to just get packs that are pre coordinated.

Spacy Tracy
Mayor
Spacy Tracy
In response to Jenny from the Crop

I'm a paper feind... I buy mostly individual pp but have purchased a few stacks just because i LOVED half of it and/or they were a good price. I do agree though, buying cs in stacks is best... I seem to go through it so fast!

luv2scrapndance
Guru
luv2scrapndance
In response to Spacy Tracy

I do both 2! I just bought individual sheets of Basic Grey two scoops since I did not need the whole pack and Basic Grey recess paper at a lss an hour ago!!

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to luv2scrapndance

i just went to pat catans and bought a load of paper...

-Kristy-
Diva
-Kristy-
In response to love4scrappin85

I buy what I like. Packs, individual, and even kits.

heidi baldini
Idol
heidi baldini
In response to -Kristy-

When I first started I bought packs but they give you like 3-4 of the same pps so your stuck w/ it. that's the downfall for me. So I only buy them now if I REALLY like it!

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori
In response to heidi baldini

I buy individual sheets as well as stacks. If I find there are some papers that I just won't use, or that I know I have more than I will use, I swap with my dil or sister, and I've also created a little stash for my granddaughter, who is 2 1/2. Yesterday I found out the dh's 10-yr-old niece scraps, too, so I will probably be swapping supplies with her, as well! None of us get to scrap together, but it's just as fun going through each other's supplies, lol!

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to JustLori

I like to buy basic colors of cardstock in packs, and only buy it in individual pieces if I am matching it to a certain lo and want a more unique color. I mostly buy pp individually, and am extremely picky about buying stacks of it--I only buy it if I like almost every page.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to heidi baldini

• my3girls Said:
When I first started I bought packs but they give you like 3-4 of the same pps so your stuck w/ it. that's the downfall for me. So I only buy them now if I REALLY like it!

my sister and i just recently started splitting packs for this reason. i usually end up with a bit more but i'm usually the one buying them anyway so it works out. lol

ScrappyPrincess
Idol
ScrappyPrincess
In response to luv2scrap:)

I usually buy stacks and page kits that already have the paper matching. If I happen to see a piece of paper that I just can't live without, I do occasionally buy single sheets, but for the most part, I buy my paper pre-packaged

formossissima
Expert
formossissima

for those of us stationed overseas who don't have the convenience of a LSS nearby, buying in packs makes a lot more sense. But I do wind up with some paper I never seem to use.

My favorite are stacks that help me develop the LOs to use them in an album. Hot off the Press has a wonderful 4 Seasons paper book/stack that I absolutely LOVED for my niece's baby book. And the DCWV Once Upon a Time stack is a lot of fun. My style is more narrative than portrait, though, so this might not apply as much to those doing portrait pages.

Edited by formossissima on 03-14-08 06:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bbwjill
Resident
Bbwjill

I buy as much as I can find in "packs" or "stacks" also I like that my local strapbooking supply place will make up kits for people to buy, so you save a bit.

I like having an assortment to choose from. I"m not one who sticks to a few basic colors throughout the album it is all about the subjects individuality.

* bought this yesterday *

I also always cruise the previous seasonal stuff to get some deals.

Edited by Bbwjill on 03-14-08 08:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to Bbwjill

• Bbwjill Said:
I buy as much as I can find in "packs" or "stacks" also I like that my local strapbooking supply place will make up kits for people to buy, so you save a bit.

I like having an assortment to choose from. I"m not one who sticks to a few basic colors throughout the album it is all about the subjects individuality.

* bought this yesterday *

I also always cruise the previous seasonal stuff to get some deals.

you are my kind of scrapper, girlfriend! I admire, but do not understand, people who can shop per project. I could never buy paper by the sheet... I'd buy the whole rack! LOL I dont know what I'm going to use for any specific project and I don't want to have to worry about buying enough for whatever I'm working on.

If I buy a stack I know I have a variety, which is something I like to reflect in my albus, btw, and I know I have stuff that will coordinate so I don't have to worry about it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics