Username Post: Chalk fixative        (Topic#1455985)
pastorwife
Veteran
pastorwife

How do you all "set" chalk so that it doesn't smudge all over your pages? Is there such a thing as chalk fixative and if so what is it called when you go to purchase it? I just purchased Pebbles I kan'dee from the superstore and wondered if I needed something to adhere it. Thanks in advance.
Products Referenced in This Post:

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to pastorwife

• pastorwife Said:
How do you all "set" chalk so that it doesn't smudge all over your pages? Is there such a thing as chalk fixative and if so what is it called when you go to purchase it? I just purchased Pebbles I kan'dee from the superstore and wondered if I needed something to adhere it. Thanks in advance.

When I use it, I don't use a ton of it, so there never is any smudging issues to worry about.

Expert
In response to DawnInAZ

I just bought some of the pepples chalks and noticed that they were a lot better than chalks I have tried in the past. I don't use anything to set them and have not had issues with smudging.

Resident
In response to pastorwife

I had the same concern as you with some chalking I did on a layout. I went to Michael's and they recommended an aerosol "matte, pastel, charcoal & pencil fixative" that they sell in their art supply dept. I just followed the instructions on the can.

pastorwife
Veteran
pastorwife
In response to oilbrat

Wow cool, thanks so much.

laurbernet
Idol
laurbernet
In response to DawnInAZ

Krylon Matte Finishing spray

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to laurbernet

The Pebbles chalks are good quality and I never have problems with them coming off the LOs.

Aumommie
Diva
Aumommie
In response to laurbernet

• laurbernet Said:
Krylon Matte Finishing spray

Is this ok for photos? Some fixatives are not acid/ligin free

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to Aumommie

I have Pebbles chalks and I have never had an issue... but then again I usually let it set for a while before moving on to the next part of the layout...

Kelly Goree
Expert
Kelly Goree
In response to pearlygadget

Actually there is a spray and it's called "fixative" There are two kinds - workable (which allows you to keep working on it or make changes by adding more chalk/pencil/pen later) and then regular (which is permanent).

I prefer the workable since I'm never sure i'm "done". It's great for chalks/pastels/pencil/pri smacolor/etc. I believe if I remember correctly, it's made by Krylon.

HTH!

Kelly Goree
Expert
Kelly Goree
In response to Kelly Goree

p.s. make sure to test the spray first before applying to your page. Occassionally if you don't get a nice s tream coming out of the can, you can get spots on your page.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to Kelly Goree

A lot of the time I just place a sheet of computer paper over and burnish the powder into the paper if I do not rub it into the paper well enough at foirst. But that is the purpose of chalk use lightly and rub into the paper blow off the excess powder.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics