Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Favorite paints?        (Topic#1456635)
sdalohagirl
Resident
sdalohagirl

I have lots of plain chipboard -- I figured that buying them plain would allow me to customize the chipboards with colors that would match my patterned & solid paper.

I plan on using stamps and embellishments, but what do you all recommend for basic background color? I was thinking paints would be good, but I currently own none, so I would love to hear recommendations on what to use on plain chipboard.

Edited by sdalohagirl on 03-18-08 09:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrappin B
Guru
Scrappin B
In response to sdalohagirl

I like Delta Ceramcoat craft paint. I use it for stamps and all kinds of other stuff.

Is that the kind of paint you were thinking of??

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Scrappin B

I like just the cheap acrylics at Walmart. Delta and Plaid are good, and even the cheapest (Apple Barrel) are fine to use. They're much nicer IMO than the "scrapbook" paints because you can get Waaaaaay more for your money.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to Here Kitty

I like Folk Art. Seems to have the nicest and most opaque coverage.

And it's inexpensive like a lot of the other ones, too.

Scrappin B
Guru
Scrappin B
In response to Jenny from the Crop

Yeah... Folk Art is a good one. I find that Apple Barrel dries out fast if you're not using it all the time.

Folk Art is on sale a lot at Michael's. Although... one of them is always on some kind of a great sale.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop

true, true.

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3

You can also use ink to cover your chipboard. I use Making Memories . I just love the colors...and I got them really cheap. I used to use delta, and they are pretty good too.

Vintage Beginnings
Expert
Vintage Beginnings
In response to llprncess3

I like MM scrapbooking paints. More expensive than the others (which I do have) but I like the coverage better. My preference of the less expensive brands is "Anita's". Much like MM's.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to Vintage Beginnings

Maybe try the Ranger acrylic paint dabbers. I haven't tried them but they are on my wish list because I saw them in a video. The think I like is that you don't need a paint brush. They seemed very handy. I think I saw them on the video for Tim Holtz Fragments.

Diva
In response to Vintage Beginnings

I like my Liquitex tube acrylics. A lot.

iluminot
Veteran
iluminot
In response to PookasCrayon

I use Apple Plaid Barrel, or something like that... it's the cheap ones at Walmart. In my opinion, they cover much better than the MM paints-- the MM paints are too thin. Plus I can get five bottles of paint for every MM paint!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to iluminot

I have tried most of the options and I like Making Memories and the Ranger Dabbers the best. The seem to dry the fastest and have the best coverage. And they dry matte. I also love that you don't need a brush withe dabbers!

sdalohagirl
Resident
sdalohagirl

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I will head to Michaels tomorrow and see if I can find the Folk Art. I may also try out the Ranger Ink Dabbers because I like the idea of not needing paint brushes.

christine3625
Resident
christine3625
In response to sdalohagirl

hiedi swapp's paint is pretty good...i just got some a few a weeks back. it actally dries pretty face too. i painted some chipboard and actually id it with my finger. so it gave a textured look. then i rubbed a stamp across it to give an older look. it turned out really good!!!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to christine3625

I like MM paints!

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Making Memories or Plaid from Wal Mart.
Basically they do the same thing but if it has a brand name attached 2 it then it's gona cost more. Plaid has nice metallic paints and the results r great and the cost is cheaper than the 1's made by a sb mfg.
To each her own!

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to spend2much

I use ink and paint--MM is my favorite. May be more expensive, but it's thick, dries fast, and comes in so many colors that match my other sbing materials.

Scrappin B
Guru
Scrappin B
In response to scrapperbee

Just a thought.... I really like using the grey sponge applicators with the as paint brushes for chipboard and stamps. You get a much more even stroke than you do with a painbrush...

I find that helpful.

www.redvellum.com
Tenant
www.redvellum.com

You can also ink the edges for a great look. I use ColorBox inkpads and have written up a technique on the subject on my site. www.redvellum.com

Best of luck!

Kimberly

courtneyannb
Idol
courtneyannb
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

I second the Ranger paint dabbers post :smile : I have only one in pink but they are SO convenient IMO, it takes forever and a lot of pumping to initially get the paint covering the dabber but after that its smooth sailing and one coat is almost enough. They are a little more expensive but if you have the budget they are deffinately worth it!

Edited by courtneyannb on 03-21-08 10:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics