Username Post: Can you recommend an adhesive?        (Topic#1457043)
Tacomamommy
Resident
Tacomamommy

I always used to use CM tape runner for most of my adhesive needs. Never had a problem with it not winding improperly and it was very easy to use. Then I started wondering if there was something just as good that didn't cost as much. Right now the the tape runners are $7.50 and the refills are $5. I tried another brand. It was red and had a duck on it (can't remember the brand) and I was so disappointed. Only one of the three that I bought actually worked to the end, the other two stopped winding correctly and the tape started unraveling. Can someone recommend a tape runner that is like CM, that works well and isn't quite as expensive?

colleenak
Diva
colleenak
In response to Tacomamommy

I like using the ATG gun with 3M adhesive for bigger projects. Also, tape runners,but the can be expensive. Double sided photo squares are great but time consuming to remove the paper off each square.

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 03-21-08 11:20 AM

Hi there.

Well, I use Fabritac most. I use it for all my paper to paper and most of my paper to embellishment bonds...it is super cheap if you buy the big bottle at Jo's with a coupon. It is not a scrap product therefore it is cheaper. For my pictures I do use the red Duck runner..I get these at Walmart in the 4-pack for under $10 and it is the best tape runner I have ever used. Other than that I use only the Zots brand of Glue Dots and my Xyron for itty bitty things and ribbon.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to colleenak

I agree with Colleen. The ATG gun may be expensive on the front end but I find it is much cheaper and better adhesive than anything else I've used.

I ordered mine from another site, got the red 714, and 24 rolls plus shipping for a little over $70. After 10 rolls I came out ahead from not using my previous favorite adhesive.

So for about $3 a roll for the ATG adhesive versus almost $9 for a 4 pack of my previous adhesive, you can see the advantage. And yes, 4 of the old would equal almost one roll of the ATG Gold.

And no, it's not too big. I find it easy to use and it holds on really well and I don't lose it like I did with smaller adhesives.

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I love Glue Dots !!! But I do use Kokoyo tape runner mini dotted adhesive about $3.50 for the refill I love that stuff. I just started using Heidi Swapp 's Scrappy Glue $7.25 at LSS - that stuff really sticks on altered projects!!!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to Renee77

I've recently stopped using the glue runners b/c they kept breaking. I found double-sided tape by Scotch (the yellow packaged one) for less than $3 and it lasts forever and is easy to use. So that's what I've switched to .. and I love it

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ

• Tacomamommy Said:
I always used to use CM tape runner for most of my adhesive needs. Never had a problem with it not winding improperly and it was very easy to use. Then I started wondering if there was something just as good that didn't cost as much. Right now the the tape runners are $7.50 and the refills are $5. I tried another brand. It was red and had a duck on it (can't remember the brand) and I was so disappointed. Only one of the three that I bought actually worked to the end, the other two stopped winding correctly and the tape started unraveling. Can someone recommend a tape runner that is like CM, that works well and isn't quite as expensive?

I recently tried many other runners, and almost every one of them either broke, snapped or got tangled inside. The price of CM runners is worth it to me. No hassling with tangles or breaks.
If you use a cheaper runner and it breaks long before its supposed to run out, then was it REALLY worth the cheaper price? Not to me.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to DawnInAZ

I also have the ATG 714 and love it. Basically, I agree with everything Viv said about it. You can PM me (or her, too, I'm sure) if you want to know where we order tape from.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to DawnInAZ

Of over the 2 dozen rolls of the ATG I've used, only one broke. With that one, I just restrung it and kept on going.

Even with the other brands I never threw them out. I'd take them apart and use the rolls without the rest of it. These work great for small punch outs that I like to use anyway.

Amonika
Expert
Amonika
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I use the Xyron tape runner. I LOVE it. I have had no problems with it and it works very well!

AMJ
AMJ 
Queen
AMJ
  • AMJ on 03-21-08 01:49 PM
In response to Amonika

My Favorite is a toss up between Tombow and Kokuyo . I get my Tombow refills for $2.50 when I order in bulk through my scrap club and I have never had a problem with them! NEVER. I have only used the Kokuyo a couple times but I love it. It's just a little expensive for me!

Sherrica
Tenant
Sherrica
In response to AMJ

I use the CM tape runners also, but I recently found some adhesive that is very similar at the DOLLAR TREE!!! They actually had several different kinds. They had a tab dispenser, a tape runner with the tiny pieces like the CM and they also had repositional.

I've been using these cheap ones in my cardmaking and they seem to work just fine. They DO say they are acid free (as is very important to anyone who uses CM stuff -- it was drilled into my head about 11 years ago).

Edited to add: I have also used the Tombow and I liked that one a lot also.

Edited by Sherrica on 03-22-08 11:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tacomamommy
Resident
Tacomamommy
In response to Sherrica

Wow, there's seems to be so many different opinions on the subject. I will have to look into an ATG runner. I looked at them briefly and they look a little complicated. Are they really easy to use? There seems to be several different models and types of tape. Is there a specific model or tape that I should be looking at?

Dollar tree sells adhesives? Wow, I wonder where they're kept. I buy scrapbooking stuff there all the time but didn't know they sold adhesives. I'll definately have to check that out.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• Tacomamommy Said:
Wow, there's seems to be so many different opinions on the subject. I will have to look into an ATG runner. I looked at them briefly and they look a little complicated. Are they really easy to use? Very easy to use. There is a slight learning curve but it's just like getting used to anything new. I've had people use mine very quickly. There seems to be several different models and types of tape. There are two. The Red one (714) takes only the 1/4" wide rolls. The Yellow one (700) which takes the wider rolls and with an adapter (extra charge) can take the 1/4" rolls. I opted for the 714 because if I needed a wider strip of adhesive, I'd just run it again side by side.

Is there a specific model or tape that I should be looking at? Make sure you get the GOLD tapes which is archival and photo safe, non-yellowing.

Dollar tree sells adhesives? I've bought some to share with some young girls (12-15 yo) that I scrap with. I was not please and they ran out very quickly. So I wasn't saving any with these. Wow, I wonder where they're kept. I buy scrapbooking stuff there all the time but didn't know they sold adhesives. I'll definately have to check that out.

Edited by Bling Fairy Vivian on 03-22-08 12:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics