Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Complete Newbie        (Topic#1458173)
Prettypinkcali
Tenant
Prettypinkcali

Hello everyone! My name is Christin and I am completely new to this site...and scrapbooking as well. I have never scrapbooked before in my life and was given hundreds of dollars worth of 'starter' supplies for a gift from a friend who is a seasoned "pro." Some of the things I was given I do not even know how to use or what they are for...After I have cruised through the galleries I must say, I am not sure I can create anything even remotely close to resembeling the work everyone on here does. In short I am intimidated, I don't know where to start, or even how to go about it. I just wanted to introduce myself and hoped I could gain some insight on where to go from here with the huge mound of scrapbooking supplies on my dining room table!

Bbwjill
Resident
Bbwjill
In response to Prettypinkcali

I'm newish as well.. I mean I have been doing it for awhile but I still feel new.. as I"m still learning stuff.

My advice for whatever it is worth, is to start by scanning some of your favorite pics, doing a bit of fine tuning online.. red eye.. cropping, sizing...

Once you have an idea of a layout that you want to make you can then size your photos into the sizes you need to fit your layout. By scanning and printing out your photos if you screw them up your still ok, you have your originals safe!

The other thing I really like is books of layouts in sort of a step by step fashion.. there is one I have used and abused and it's called "cherrish". I just love this book!

The other thing I find really helpful is going to little layout classes that they hold at the local scrapbooking store. Very often you can modify the layouts you have learned to suit you own style and tastes.

Good luck with it all and I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

rwalker04
Expert
rwalker04
In response to Bbwjill

well having lots of supplies is a good start id just start with a couple pics you would like to scrap and kind of go with a them that fits the pics that might be easiest maybe a holiday or something and always remember if you dont like it you can do it again and again. i always place the stuff i want and keep moving it until i know i like it the best advice i can give is dont glue it until you know you want it there!

Kendra1977
Pro
Kendra1977
In response to Bbwjill

Don't g by what you see in the gallery. You will find your own style of scrapping. My pages are no were near what other scrappers look like. I do look in the gallery for ideas and inspriration. Don't worry just do it.

scrappinheaven
Veteran
scrappinheaven
In response to Kendra1977

Hi Christin,

I would cruise the galleries and save layouts you like to your favorites. Then pick one you like and scraplift it. I would start with simple layouts until you get comfortable and you will find that you will start to come up with your own ideas.

Also, a good place to start would be to use a scrapbook sketch. A sketch is simply a sort of blueprint or pattern for a scrapbook page. A good site I found, called Page Maps, has a monthly newsletter of sketches. You could also google "scrapbook sketches" and you will find several other sites with sketches.

Also, you might want to go the challenge forum on this site and try some of the challenges. The challenges give you ideas that you might not have thought of before.

If you don't have any scrapbook store s with classes that are close to your area, you can look on a website called meetup dot com and find a scrapbook crop group in your area to join.

Hope all of this helps, you can PM me if you have any specific questions, and I will help you if I can.

Carol

ennayhs81
Veteran
ennayhs81
In response to scrappinheaven

Hello and welcome to sb.com . I agree with looking in the gallery for inspiration. I started scrapbooking before joining this site and I wanted to redo some of my layouts after seeing such nice layouts in the gallery.

navyaowife2005
Idol
navyaowife2005
In response to ennayhs81

hi and welcome!

mrs.farmer
Veteran
mrs.farmer
In response to navyaowife2005

Honestly I was scared too... I looked in the galleries and went oh my... I did my first page and it didn't turn out so bad maybe not as cool as I thought it would but decent!!! Moral of the story is just play around I am also still new and learning I think thats the fun in it!!

Prettypinkcali
Tenant
Prettypinkcali
In response to mrs.farmer

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful hints and advice. I started my first layout tonight, I am not too sure about it but I figure I will finish it and then evaluate. As it was pointed out to me, it can be changed time and time again. After working on the layout for 2 hours I realized this is very time consuming as I did not accomplish very much. I matted my photo and did some hidden journaling....layed the title down and realized I still had over half of the page to fill. Thought the point of frustration I was reaching was a great indicator to take a break....well thank's again everyone.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Welcome! What kind of things did you get that you aren't sure what to do with? I'm sure we could help you figure them all out.

Prettypinkcali
Tenant
Prettypinkcali
In response to scraprabbit

Okay I got Brads...the only sense I can make out of them is they are a lot like brass fasteners...so do I just punch a whole into paper and put them in the whole, mainly for dec. not purpose? I also got oodles and oodles of vellum (not sure on the spelling) quote stack things, but I absolutely can not figure out what to do with them because glue doesn't really work well, it all shows through. Is there a trick I am missing with that one? Also while browsing at Hobby Lobby Today I noticed very expensive Di-cut machines....what does those do? Or what do they make I suppose I should ask.
I just feel like my layouts ar going to look way to plain because I don't have alot of embellishment type things.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_

quality tools are the life line of your scrapbook pages...so you are on your way to a good start. i have been scrapbooking for almost 9 years but am new to this site as well. i too browse through the gallery and am amazed at how great and detailed the layouts are...as well as intimidated at times. just go at your own speed and have fun with scrapbooking it is just paper so if you don't like a layout you can always start over/modify it until you are satisfied.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Brads--oh, one of my favorites! Yep, they are just fancy brass fasteners. Use them for decoration, to hold things together, etc. I just make a hole in the paper with a needle or something and stick them in. They work great on holding vellum to paper since many glues show through....LOL just read the rest of your post about the vellum!

Oh, and you definitely don't need an expensive die cutter to make great layouts. I have a Sizzix but rarely use it and I like my layouts. Die cutters cut out shapes...some types have dies you buy (the shape with the blade in it) and some are electronic so you push the button for the shape you want and put your paper in the machine for it to cut.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Oh, and my layouts aren't nearly as great as many of the other ones posted on this site, but here are a few that I really like that are made with not many embellishments if you wanted some ideas on what to do with just the basics. I'm a sucker for stamps and ink so you will see that on many of my layouts though.

This one uses paper, ink, and stamps.

wet paint
By Scraprabbit

This one just uses cardstock, brads, a sticker, and a pen.

laugh
By Scraprabbit

More paper, cardstock, ink, and stamps.

(love)
By Scraprabbit

More of the same--used some letter stickers here too--oh, and a rub-on.
College memories By Scraprabbit

Actually, I have a ton of layouts with little/no fancy embellishments in my gallery. I kind of have a simple/clean style though. But there are tons of things you can do with just the basics anyway.

Prettypinkcali
Tenant
Prettypinkcali

Sorry I am so clueless....can I ask what you use to cut your shapes if you don't use a die cutter? Stencils maybe?

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

I have a 12" cutter that has a straight edge, wavy, and tighter wavy edge. For scallops and big circles I trace a template and cut by hand. I have a Coluzzle for smaller circles. I tend not to use a lot of shapes other than rectangles and circles though. I do have stencils and I have a few basic dies for my Sizzix that I use occasionally--tags and leaves and alphabets and stuff like that. I stamp a lot and just cut around the image too.

You'll definitely want a 12" paper cutter if you don't have one, and a sharp pair of scissors. Those you'll use over and over even if you get a die cutter.

I linked some of my favorite products below, but there are lots of other brands that are great too.
Products Referenced in This Post:
Coluzzle Starter Kit (Discontinued)

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3

Welcome to the site!! This is a great resource for new and seasoned scrapbookers. I have been scrapping for about 4 years now or maybe 5. One important thing is to start slow. Your pages do not need to look like anything, there is no basis from where to start. Over time you will pick up on techniques to try, but for now think about your pictures. The purpose to scrapbooking is to preserve memories, other than that it is what you make it. Whatever you end up with is special because YOU created it, no one else. I look back on my first album and think...what was I thinking, but then I remember I made it, and it is a great book of memories. As each day goes by I learn something new and incorporate it into what I do, but I focus on the picture more than the "accessories". Embellishments are fun to add too...don't get me wrong, but it takes time. We are ALL still learning. Good luck, can't wait to see your first pages!

New Kid On the Block
In response to llprncess3

I am new here too! I will be interested to see what everyone says about some of your embellishments. I have done actually done two books already, but I am ready to try some more involved techniques and fun stuff!! I am curious about vellum too. Haven't bought any yet.....

Have fun!!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

Hi Christin: Scraprabbit gave you a few great examples of layouts done without fancy tools. You mentioned a layout you have started that looks bare to you even with pics matted, title. One trick is to create a large 'shaped' piece (either a circle or other shape) to put ontop of your 12x12 and then put your pics/titles on. That brings the eye in from the 12x12 shape and gives a smaller area for your points of interest...all pleasing to the eye. You will see that in my gallery - a trick I'm just starting to use. You might even consider doing smaller books: 8x8. I find layouts in the gallery I like and print them out in black & white to use as 'sketches' for inspiration. I do them in b&w so I'm not influenced by the colors someone else used. I've looked/printed out so many thru the past year that I now can see the elements of design in layouts and have come to realize that a lot of what I was printing out were the same 'sketch'. Do journal in your own handwriting every so often. I started out just typing mine on a piece of cardstock and gluing to layouts...now hand journal more. Just remember that the books are for you to enjoy and record your life and history thru the years. Your ancestors will appreciate anything you do. I wished I had pics and stories from the past.

Kendra1977
Pro
Kendra1977
In response to Sunnydi

As far as using vellum...I use Glue Dots for vellum.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Kendra1977 on 04-01-08 01:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics