Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: beyond the basic tools        (Topic#1463669)
Katienuckolls
New Kid On the Block
Katienuckolls

ok so I have the basics, paper trimmer, glue, scissors ect. What are the must have “beyond the basic” tools? What are your favorites?

camelheel
Diva
camelheel
In response to Katienuckolls

i love my Basic Grey precision mat, my cropadile and my Xyron x!

Heather_Rochelle
Guru
Heather_Rochelle
In response to camelheel

crop a dile!!!

rchelle58
Veteran
rchelle58
In response to Heather_Rochelle

I also love my Xyron .

Tia Hokee
Diva
Tia Hokee
In response to rchelle58

I love my Xyron too.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Tia Hokee

Xyron here too! If stamps count as tools, then I have to say stamps too. I also really like my coluzzle circle templates.

Gamma Rena
Diva
Gamma Rena
In response to scraprabbit

A cutting mat, every one has their favorites, I bought mine at Big Lots for $5.00, also love the Xyron sticker machines, I use my Sakura Quickie Glue pen alot!, and the Karen Foster Click-it or Crop a dile, the only drawback to the Crop a dile is that you can only go so far in on a page, then I use my click it! If inks count then, I couldn't do without mine! I love to use ink! Have more kinds than they list in the Superstore,, and good markers, I have several different type of ZIG , and American Crafts .

Edited by Gamma Rena on 05-15-08 08:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

huntersmom
Guru
huntersmom

Xryon

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Gamma Rena

• Gamma Rena Said:
A cutting mat, every one has their favorites, I bought mine at Big Lots for $5.00, also love the Xyron sticker machines, I use my Sakura Quickie Glue pen alot!, and the Karen Foster Click-it or Crop a dile, the only drawback to the Crop a dile is that you can only go so far in on a page, then I use my click it! If inks count then, I couldn't do without mine! I love to use ink! Have more kinds than they list in the Superstore,, and good markers, I have several different type of ZIG , and American Crafts .

Were you in my scraproom? Lol. Those are the items I would have listed also.

Katienuckolls
New Kid On the Block
Katienuckolls
In response to scrapnread

Thanks for all the great advice!

kmarie77
Tenant
kmarie77

i dont have one but I would really like a circle cutter, I always draw and cut my circles and its a bit tedious!

a good craft knife or xacto knife

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk
In response to kmarie77

I have several that even if I don't use them "all" the time, they still come in handy lots.

Perfect Layers (great if you do matting for your pics or journaling blocks)
Basic Grey file set
Basic Grey Precision magnetic mat & ruler
Clear centering ruler
Bone folder
Crop-a-dile
ATG
Corner rounder
Craft knife (exacto)
Paper Piercer
Heat gun (embossing gun)

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to susanlk

I couldn't do without my CraftRobo! and my Xyron X

Gamma Rena
Diva
Gamma Rena
In response to scrapnread

• scrapnread Said:
  • Gamma Rena Said:

Were you in my scraproom? Lol. Those are the items I would have listed also.

Great minds think alike!!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Gamma Rena

I like my Perfect Layers for matting. I got my set from QVC. They've added a couple more pieces to the set since I bought mine.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to Judy_Scraps

In addition to all the things above, I like my punches - corners and borders. Basic circles and squares are good to have too.

-Mary

kpargin
Resident
kpargin
In response to Mary W.

I love love love my crop-a-dile Big Bite and my sizzix Bigkick! I wouldn't get anything done without them now!

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to kpargin

LOVE, LOVE my Basic Grey Precision Mat!! I seriously have no idea how I scrapped without it.

My favorite craft knife is the CutterBee. Small blade, SUPER sharp and retractable. Can't ask for more.

I also LOVE the CutterBee Titanium scissors. I feel like they're the Cadillac of scissors. They cut like butter, and are just so nice and sharp. Love them.

I've been scrapping for several years, and I still don't have a Xyron or Crop-o-Dile. I keep thinking about getting the Crop-o-Dile, but really... I think I would have only used it a few times so far. Maybe when I get more into mini-albums.

Oh! The Creative Memories Circle cutter is awesome! That's a must-have, in my opinion.

And I LOVE punches. I can't live without those. I just like the basics: circles, squares, hearts, stars and flowers in all sizes. I use those SO much.

Oh gosh! And the ZIG pens. I have the 48 pack. That's another must-have for me. The Uniball Signo pen in white is also a pen I use all the time.

Sheesh, it seems like there's a lot I can't live without!

Edited by reyasunshine on 05-19-08 12:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• Katienuckolls Said:
ok so I have the basics, paper trimmer, glue, scissors ect. What are the must have “beyond the basic” tools? What are your favorites?

First off the basics, yes, I know you said you have them already, well, I've gone through several basic items because, well, they weren't worth the little bit of money I used to buy them.

Trimmers, for example, I think the rotary blade types are the best. Those sliding blade wear out way faster and oddly. Although when they're wore way down, they do make a pretty tear that's straight. There's different sizes for rotary blades, some small, some you don't want to move. The guillotine type scare me, so I really can't recommend them one way or another. I use Carl brand trimmers. They can be found in office supply places. The larger trimmer has deco blades you can use in their trimmer, too.

Scissors: Buy a good one, not the cheapos. Well you can let the rest of the family use the cheapos but hide your good ones to make them last longer. And why did no one tell me about scissors that don't get gummed up by adhesives?! Well worth the extra money. Plus you really should get a mini-pair of scissors. They're much easier to work with in small detail cuttings.

Adhesives: Well, now that my 10 year old pages are falling apart, I've had to really consider what to use and avoid. I used sb safe glue sticks in the beginning. Worked great but now they're stiff and when the pages are bent from turning the photos and embellies are popping off. I do not want this to happen to pages I'm now working on in 10 years! I had been using the Duck brand Easy stick. I'd buy them in the four pack which was the most economical. Well, the four pack would equal one roll of ATG at 3x the price. After using ten rolls of the ATG, I had pretty much paid for the ATG gun, 24 refills and shipping if I'd been still using the Duck. Plus the adhesive of the ATG is much stronger.

For adhesives, even the ATG isn't enough. I still use alot of Glue Dots , some liquid glues and Xyron which I normally use without the machines. Less waste this way and cheaper.

These are the must have haves and well worth spending extra on.

I also recommend the following:
Glass cutting mat (I made my own from an old photo frame)
Metal rulers
Craft knife
Corner Rounders

The rest depends on what you like to use most. I love die cuts so I have a Wishblade , punches and Sizzix machine.

If you're into stamping, I love Fiskars - Easy Stamp Press. It really helps me position things better.

kristen622
Pro
kristen622
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Like many of the others, I love my Crop-A-Dile, Cutterbee scissors, and Fiskars paper trimmer. I would be lost without my Cricut too, but I'm not sure that's considered a "basic."

I got some Bazzill In Stitches templates this weekend, and I can see those becoming a favorite soon!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics