Username Post: Need some suggstions :)        (Topic#1464479)
DeAnna...
Diva
DeAnna...

every month I send out a gift randomly to someone on my friends list.
I will have to do something different. Shipping is outrageous overseas. THis morning I sent a pkg to someone that weighed less than 2 pounds and it cost me 30.00 in shipping. There wasn't 30 dollars worth of stuff in the box.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can give/send to people outside the Us that will not cost so much?
I thought about gift certificates but it will cost them just as much in shipping to get anything.
TIA

ajroemisch
Idol
ajroemisch
In response to DeAnna...

Online gift cards! :O)

ajroemisch
Idol
ajroemisch
In response to DeAnna...

• DeAnna Johnson Said:
every month I send out a gift randomly to someone on my friends list.
I will have to do something different. Shipping is outrageous overseas. THis morning I sent a pkg to someone that weighed less than 2 pounds and it cost me 30.00 in shipping. There wasn't 30 dollars worth of stuff in the box.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can give/send to people outside the Us that will not cost so much?
I thought about gift certificates but it will cost them just as much in shipping to get anything.
TIA

Here's some:::

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-20-08 01:32 PM
In response to ajroemisch

ooo for outside the US....guessing you can't use the flat rate boxes?

maybe keep it simple/small...like in a small envelope (card or letter size). Then it'll only be a few dollars postage. You could take things out of the packaging....(if you know they'll keep it), stick with light stuff, Glue Dots , maybe titles, or stickers...flowers, ect.

I wanted to send some Choc Kisses to a friend in Africa...couldn't because the price of shipping!

denitza
Mayor
denitza
In response to ELynn

I use just a big envelope and take things out of the packages.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to denitza

I think the online gift cert. are a great idea!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to luv2scrap:)

• luv2scrap:) Said:
I think the online gift cert. are a great idea!

The issue with these is she specifically mentioned that it would cost the person buying stuff as much in shipping still! It is just that she is giving this outrageous shipping cost to the reciever. That would kind of suck to get a gift card to somewhere that you have to pay more in shipping than the gift card is worth to use it

What about a gift card to somewhere in thier home country? If that is at all an option? Then they don't have to pay shipping?

That or I would second the flat stuff idea like glue dot sheets, rub ons, ribbons that you buy by the yard so they are pretty thin and flat. Even the dollar stamps by g studios you get at M's would be flat enough to go in a regular envelope.

Edited by riorabbit on 05-20-08 02:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

~{Puppet}~
Queen
~{Puppet}~
In response to riorabbit

I know what you mean about the shipping! I would buy more from sb.com if they didn't charge $15-$20 for shipping just up here to Canada. My suggestion would be to go for smaller, lighter things like flowers, ribbon maybe even buttons. And you could take them out of the packages if the packaging is bulky.

DeAnna...
Diva
DeAnna...
In response to ~{Puppet}~

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your taking the time and coming up with some great solutions!

Cyndi Budhi
Pro
Cyndi Budhi
In response to DeAnna...

Deanna, what about online Gift Certificates

And by the way this is a great jester you are performing.

Scrappy Nan
Idol
Scrappy Nan
In response to Cyndi Budhi

how about felt embellishments? you can cut them yourself from a Sizzix or an Accu-cut, and they are light

you can also try strips of ribbon.

oh, and BTW, there IS a flat rate for international (funny, I just shipped something to the UK and asked this at the PO). however, to make it worthwhile, you would want to send something really heavy, since i think the flat rate covers up to several pounds.

charmaine furman
Pro
charmaine furman
In response to Scrappy Nan

What about some digi items? I know not everyone is a digi scrapper but a lot of us do hybrid scrapping.

raindancer
Governor
raindancer
In response to DeAnna...

I just wanted to say that giving those gifts is an incredibly generous and nice thing to do!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to raindancer

DeAnna, you're so generous!

I agree with the idea of digi-elements (or what about E-Cuts from here?).

Also, if you send something that's just like a card with some die cuts (if you have a cutter you can send some hand done ones), paper piecings, or something similiar. I was able to send to Canada 20 diecuts in a photomailer (the stiff ones) for just $1. Anywhere else will be a bit more as just the price of a postcard internationally from the US is $.90 (or did that go up with regular postage a few weeks ago?). But if you do something lightweight, you can send for pretty cheap -- die cuts, paper piecings, ribbon, fiber, flat stickers, vellum quotes, etc.

Hope this helps.

Guru
In response to CMLeach

I see what you mean...the flat rate for International is outrageous!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics