Username Post: Looking for old fashioned scrapbooks        (Topic#1464679)
Wordweaver
Guru
Wordweaver

I am looking for some photos of pages from old timey scrapbooks, such as scrapbooks kept by our parents, grandparents or even great grandparents.

I have been going through several years of back issues of several Simple Scrapbooks s and it has been interesting watching the trends and even fads.

It got me to thinking that I wonder how scrapbook pages looked way before the new wave of scrapbooking caught on. I can't find any of mine or my mom's old scrapbooks. I am 51 to give you an idea.

If you have any photos of older scrapbooks (pre -1960), I would love to see them.

Thanks!!
Wordweaver

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Wordweaver

check e-bay,
I have looked at several really old scrapbooks that were for sale. really old as in Victorian and early 1900s. They were very interesting as they often included things like really old postcards, greeting cards, playing cards (the kind that came with tobacco).

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I know my mom has a few of my grandparents around here. The problem is most fell apart.

I can tell you all the ones I have seen (from both grandparents) basically were black background, small black and white photos, lots of newspaper clippings, and everything was adhered with little black photo corners. Pretty simple. They just had those items. No real decor to them, but my mom and I were discussing it the other day and she said they did go to an attempt to make the photos and such arranged in a pleasing manor. Some look more like they just glued where stuff fit though. Unfortunately, the glue didn't hold that well so much of it has fallen apart.

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 05-22-08 10:43 AM
In response to riorabbit

I have one but not pictures of it. I has photos, newspaper clippings, poems. Not much else. It is black background and adhered with some sort of glue that is still holding strong.

kimba617
Resident
kimba617
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
I know my mom has a few of my grandparents around here. The problem is most fell apart.

I can tell you all the ones I have seen (from both grandparents) basically were black background, small black and white photos, lots of newspaper clippings, and everything was adhered with little black photo corners. Pretty simple. They just had those items. No real decor to them, but my mom and I were discussing it the other day and she said they did go to an attempt to make the photos and such arranged in a pleasing manor. Some look more like they just glued where stuff fit though. Unfortunately, the glue didn't hold that well so much of it has fallen apart.

Exactly what my dad's scrapbook looked like.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to kimba617

I'm reading a book that you might like - "The Scrapbook in American Life". It tells all about historical scrapbooks (pictures included), and it's very interesting.

My very first scrapbook was newspaper and magazine clippings of Nadia Comenich (sp?) when she got all the 10s in the Olympics - when was that? 1976? I loved her! After that, I saw my aunt's scrapbook that she made in the 1960s, and hers inspired me to start one with my high school memorabilia. Hers had things like an old sock from a boy she liked! Mine had things like a piece of my friend's Pinto, a nail from the set of the school play, and a piece of chalk I picked up off the floor on the last day of school. I still have my old scrapbooks, and I'll try to take some pics of the pages. They aren't as old as what you're looking for, but they're pretty funny!

Anyway, check out that book (I got it off Amazon) - it's really a must read for anybody interested in old scrapbooks.

-Mary

Wordweaver
Guru
Wordweaver
In response to kimba617

Thanks for your responses. It seems that the black background paper and some photos, lots of newspaper clippings etc seems to be the norm.

I will hop over to ebay to see what I can find.
thanks. I was just interested in how things looked back then compared to now.

My first scrapbook was started when I was a youngster of around 11 or 12 and it had all sorts of flat and 3-D things in it. Of course photos, but also ticket stubs, tassel from my girl scout uniform when I moved from Jr to Cadet. and things like that.

Of course back then there were no sheet protectors, or the masses of embellies that are available now. Things are sure different and yet the reason to scrap really haven't.

I hope we get some more folks reading this and leaving their thoughts and maybe photos of old scrapbooks if they have them.

Aloha,
Wordweaver

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics