Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help!! What to buy?        (Topic#1467029)
Peggy-S
Diva
Peggy-S

Hi, I'm Peggy, and I joined this community about a week ago. I love it here, and I've already spent hours browsing through the gallery.

I don't have any tools yet. I bought a few embellies, a few papers (but mostly I use wallpaper I got from a store nearby) and some black ink from a scrapping workshop I attended.

Now I look at all these great LO's in the gallery, and they all have rubons, chipboards, flowers, ribbons... on them. People use circle cutters and lots of other tools I have never heard of.

I would like to know what best to buy first. I cannot buy everything at once, so can anyone tell me the smartest things to buy to start out? What can't you really do without?

I could really use some help on this one, and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance.
Greetz,
Peggy

Edited by Peggynewatscrap on 06-11-08 01:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mommie75
Queen
mommie75
In response to Peggy-S

i would say to start the first two things you should buy would be a good trimmer and sciossors. and go from there

and paper peircer is always nice tool also to have ..

but with those you can do about anything you want with them...

these are my favorite things i own and use on all my lo
i have found i do not need all those fancy tools to make a page . i have bought many and they just sit and collect dust..
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by mommie75 on 06-11-08 04:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

~chevygirl~
Tenant
~chevygirl~
In response to mommie75

• mommie75 Said:
i would say to start the first two things you should buy would be a good trimmer and sciossors. and go from there

and paper peircer is always nice tool also to have ..

but with those you can do about anything you want with them...

these are my favorite things i own and use on all my lo
i have found i do not need all those fancy tools to make a page . i have bought many and they just sit and collect dust..

Me too. I love my cricut. It's great for cutting out title & shapes (maybe expensive over seas?) In my tool box I have an cropadile II or you can get the Making Memories eyelet kit (very compact).
Making Memories also has a small tool kit it has a paper piercer in it. I love my ATG gun. I also like to have my xyron adhesive runner 2 1/1 inches. Like said before get a trimmer you like & sissors (small craft ones are usually better if you stamp or cut things out by hand). Hope this helps. I may thing of more things later.

Rachel's mom
Veteran
Rachel's mom
In response to ~chevygirl~

I also could not live without the paper trimmer, it is a must have!! When I first started, all I had were some brads, some paper and a trimmer!! You don't have to have all of the other fancy stuff to make a great page. Try buying supplies a little at a time...see what you like the best. I would caution you a bit on the wallpaper...may not be acid free and could damage your photos down the road. Good luck and enjoy!!

jgassa
jgassa 
Guru
jgassa
In response to Rachel's mom

I also don't have any fancy tools yet. Just my scissors! When I can, I would like to get a paper trimmer. I think that would make creating my LO easier.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to jgassa

I would say a good paper trimmer, nice sharp scissors (cutterbee are great), a paper piercer, and a good exacto knife. I like the fingertip control one by Fiskars . I am clumsy and it works well for me.

If you have a good, thick needle at home, you can also use that instead of a paper piercer. Something like a piercer is great because you can use it to make small holes for eyelets or brads and pierce paper before stitching. I have even used mine to separate the backs of brads before.

Hope this helps. Remember, there's no right or wrong way. Each page is an expression of yourself. Just enjoy it!
Products Referenced in This Post:

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 06-11-08 08:21 AM
In response to siameseplease

I don't use my paper trimmer....I have used a self healing mat and a clear quilters ruler and a craft knife for so long, that I can't seem to get used to anything new. A good pair of scissors is something you can't live without, tho.
You will start collecting things as time goes by....a good idea before purchasing something is to come on this forum and ask people what they think of that particular item...you will get alot of response, and it helps you decide if it would be worth the investment.
As for the cropadile, I use eyelets, but not enough to justify the purchase of one. I have a small hand held eyelet setter that wasn't expensive, and that is just fine with me. Think about how much you would be using something before you buy it...will you use it, or will it just collect dust? Hope this helps.....Good Luck!!!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to rtay

- Adhesive (including foam dots, maybe glue, as well as regular adhesive)
- 12" paper trimmer
- GOOD pair of scissors

Also, always keep around a pencil and good art eraser so you can mark things out as you place them before adhering (and then ultimately erase your marks after).

A corner rounder can give you a nice finished look to a page for pretty cheap, and of all my punches it's one I use with some frequency.

New Kid On the Block
In response to CMLeach

Whatever you do buy as far as tools go, I would look in your local paper for Michael's or A.C. Moore Coupons (40-50%) for tools, they have most of the ones that higher end scrapbook store s have. Soon you'll be so addicted, you'll have 1 of everything!

New Kid On the Block
In response to robbinsromperroom

Or whatever super crafstore you have overseas!!

wimpygirl
Veteran
wimpygirl
In response to robbinsromperroom

Welcome Peggy, I started sbing about 4 months ago, the first thing I BOUGHT ( WITH THE HELP OF A FRIEND) was a theme package. They have them at most every store that has srapbook section. IT WILL HAVE YOUR PAPER, embellishment, stickers, and such for your particlar theme. You might choose one for boys, or girls, mine was basketball. I bought 12 in.trimmer(Fiskars) for under $20 and the kit which was around $10. Some plain cardstock,( reg. printer size) the colors that I thought I might need, which was black and some white. The card stock I used for matts under my pictures Any paper, thin or thick that is acid free is ok Oh yes, adhesives! This was a real learning lesson for me. The one that I started with was the glue stick and I thouht I needed to glue the whole back of things, but finally after many dollars, I went to a crop at my church and found out, alittle DAB will do you. I no longer glue every inch I glue the corners. I could go on and on because it is still fresh in my mind. I am addicted to sb.com Everyone is so good about sharing methods and ideas, I just love it here. Hope this helps.

Peggy-S
Diva
Peggy-S
In response to wimpygirl

I would like to thank everyone who has already posted a reply for your help. I sure do appreciate it!!! My husband doesn't ... I'm no longer only spending hours looking at LO's and galleries, but now I'm also looking at every single item you guys refer me to, and all the other great stuff I see in the mean time as well of course!! Pretty soon there won't be a single pair of clean socks to be found in my husbands drawer LOL !!!! And it takes me a little longer, because although every single scrapper here in Belgium uses the English words for everything to do with scrapping, like LO and embellishments, etc... I have a hard time knowing what other words mean, like die cutter for instance. Thank god for the search machine in the store!!

But seriously, it helps me a lot. Maybe you'll be surprised to hear that here in Belgium, we don't have many scrapping or hobby stores (it's not so popular here)... There's one I've heard of, but I'm pretty sure it's not close from where I live, and because it's practically the only one, it's super expensive. I expect I'll have to buy everything from the internet.

Thanks everyone, and please keep those posts coming, I love to hear what everyone uses ... it surprises me a little that everyone seems to think you need so little, when there is sooooooo much to buy out there

Lots of love,
Peggy

Edited by Peggynewatscrap on 06-11-08 12:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

wimpygirl
Veteran
wimpygirl
In response to Peggy-S

i was wondering, if you have a walMart where you are. I live 25 miles from a craft store, but the walmart has the basics for scrapbooking, which I live close to.

Peggy-S
Diva
Peggy-S
In response to wimpygirl

Nope, we don't have a Walmart here. Here in Antwerp, we do have sort of a mall (nothing compared to what they have in America based on what I see on TV ...), and there is a small hobby store where there are a few items like cardstock and other papers, but they charge almost double the price compared to if you buy it on the internet. Haven't been there to see if they have any tools or embellies .. will have to check it out. But, as I told you, in Belgium scrapping is not popular. Actually, when I tell my friends I've taken up scrapping and in fact getting totally obsessed most of them (if not all) don't even know what I'm talking about... But I'm sure I'll get there, with all the help and love with my new-found friends here at sb.com

Lots of love, and thanks again,
Peggy

married05
Idol
married05
In response to Peggy-S

It can be overwhelming when you are first starting out. There are so many tools and embellishments that you could use. It's probably better to start out with a few basics, and then pick up things as you need them for specific layouts.

I would pick up a trimmer (I suck at using a craft knife or scissors to cut straight!), a good pair of scissors, an art gum eraser, a good black pen for journaling, some type of adhesive (there are tons of different types out there) and a good ruler. An easy embellishment to use would be flowers with brads or buttons in the center. (You can buy special flowers for scrapbooking or just any silk flowers - they're actually kind of fun to pull apart.) A paper piercer is good to use for holes for brads and eyelets, but a push pin would work just as well. Good luck and have fun!

CJSBABYCAKES
Veteran
CJSBABYCAKES
In response to married05

definately a paper trimmer, cardstock, scissors, and ummm adhesive.

sternschnuppe07
Resident
sternschnuppe07
In response to CJSBABYCAKES

I'm pretty new also. Welcome to the forum. The people here are awesome!

auntieant
Expert
auntieant
In response to sternschnuppe07

The main reason to just purchase what you need is that you will find yourself in the same shoes as many of us. I know I got so excited about scrapbooking I just started purchasing things that I didn't know how to use or not even an idea of what I was going to use it on. So just make sure that what you purchase is what you need NOW!! Like a trimmer, adhesive, cardstock, pattern paper and scissors.

WELCOME EVERYONE!!!

Peggy-S
Diva
Peggy-S
In response to auntieant

Helly everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I did a little shopping today ...

I already have a pair of scissors, a paper trimmer (not the best quality, but they will do for now), adhesive and some cardstock I bought at a workshop, so, according to your replies I was all set to go ... The only thing I don't have that everyone of you seems necessary is a paper piecer, so that is one thing I will have to buy, but for now I will use my (very bad) craft knife ...

However, I was in a shop this morning, wouldn't know how to call it in English but they sell all kinds of things, from toilet paper to candles and toys ... all very inexpensive. There I found all kinds of goodies I just couldn't resist: something to make flowers, hearts, ... out of paper, it automatically cuts that shape, I don't know the word in English, some glitter paper, some glitter paint and some chipboard embellies I just had to have!!! So there you go, all that good advice and I go out and buy all the things you didn't mention LOL. The only excuse I have: it was a bargain. I guess the quality ain't all that, but I won't be using it on every LO, so there you go.

I feel pretty confident now however that I have enough to make a decent looking LO. It won't be filled with flowers and chipboard swirls or anything, but it will have to do for now. I can make those out of paper or maybe doodle a bit, might have it's charm too. And I'll just buy some embellies along the way. Oh yes, my mother has a box full of old buttons she saved up during the years ... already warned her I will be needing them ...

Thanks for your help, now all I have to do is find some inspiration and start scrapping in stead of chatting LOL

Greetz,
Peggy

canadian_ newbie
Veteran
canadian_ newbie
In response to Peggy-S

When I started acouple months ago, I went out an bought a kit, it came with paper, labels and tags, borders, stickers, a glue stick, a pair of decorative scissors and an album, an then I bought from there. Where I live there is a dollar store that has a ton of scrapbooking stuff, and I am always going to Micheal's. But the best investment I made was becoming a member at a local scrapbooking store and that way I do not have to go out and buy the die cutters and more pricey tools, I get to use theirs whenever I need to.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics