Username Post: Major Question, How do you know...        (Topic#1467427)
scrapchic
Guru
scrapchic

Okay, so my major question is, how do you know what supplies to buy when making an album? Okay, so I want to make a scrapbook (actually 2 because my mom wants a copy) of my senior year in high school. But I want it to be really fun and funky like some of my fav. scrap artists. The thing is I don't know what supplies to buy. I thought about scraplifting, so then I have a list of supplies and just put it together like they did, but it seems wrong, like the art of the page isn't mine. It would be someone else's creativity with my picture on it. But then, I have no idea of the supplies to get. There are so many brands and different products, that I don't know how to choose!! Any help??

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to scrapchic

I start with the pictures and memorabelia. Once I know what stuff I want to showcase in the album, I can pick paper and embellishments so that they compliment my pictures and showcase my junk (ticket stubs, etc). There's nothing wrong with scraplifting a layout so you have a supply list and a basic idea for a jumping off point, but you can make a scraplifted layout your own by not following it to the absolute letter, but moving stuff around slightly to suit your whim and your stuff. HTH.

Ms.CRKS
Diva
Ms.CRKS
In response to scrapchic

I dont know what size you're planning on doing, but personally, I would do mini albums. Maybe 8x8? I'd also buy a book that features mini albums (Donna Downey has a good one) and take your inspiration from there. Bam Pop has some great funky papers and die cuts and I think it would fit great with an album like yours. You definately want something that will be easy and simple but still the style you want.

I think scraplifting can be a great thing and as long as you give credit where its due when posting the pictures online, I see no problem with it but I do understand where you're coming from. Good luck and I hope I was able to help a little bit.

scrapchic
Guru
scrapchic
In response to Ms.CRKS

Yeah. I just love how awesome it is when people mix together like 50 brands in one page, but I'm like, I would have never known to get that one thing from there and that one from here and put all 50 of those little pp's, buttons, diecuts, etc. to create this masterpiece. *sigh* I'll check out what you guys said though. Anymore thoughts on the issue?

Quay
Quay 
Governor
Quay
  • Quay on 06-14-08 05:55 PM
In response to scrapchic

Just do like the rest of us... BUY, BUY, BUY!!! No really just take a few photos with you at a time, to the scrapbook store . Then see what springs out at you and says, "Hey this might look great behind this photo" And maybe, take a list of what embellies people have used on the LO's you like. Then find them and see if they would look good with your pp and your photo. You should probably do only a couple of pages at a time. So you don't get overwhelmed with stuff! I hope this helps! Let us know what your pages look like...ok?

scrapchic
Guru
scrapchic
In response to Quay

That's some good advice, and yeah, I will definitely post my pages. What about monthly kits and stuff?

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to scrapchic

scrapbook kits can help alot if you want to do it that way, not sure if there are "funky" ones or not, but everything is coordinating and most come with enough that you can do an entire book with one kit.

for example, k&company carries "scrap pads to go" they have papers, alphas, tags, things like that. if you wanted 3D embellies, you'd have to buy them.

Edited by Prettylolo on 06-14-08 08:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55
In response to scrapchic

Monthly kits are a great way to address this project. Because they give you enough supplies to complete several 12X12 pages, you could easily stretch the supplies to make a mini-album or 2. And the company coordinates everything for you. But you can also find kits in stores, so I would suggest you shop around - I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

ScrappyNewMom
Diva
ScrappyNewMom
In response to kdkaboom55

Another thought for you...since you said you want to make a copy for your mom....you might want to go with digital because it would be easy to print out the 2nd album.

I think the ideas of making a smaller album (like 8x8) and/or using a kit are good ones. Use the lists of supplies for layouts you like as a starting point for different companies. Then you can do a search to see if they have supplies that coordinate with that or if it comes in a "line".

Hope that helps too!

scrapchic
Guru
scrapchic
In response to ScrappyNewMom

Definitely, thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'll keep this album a bit simplier, just because I'm making two. This all helps a ton!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to scrapchic

I would decide on a basic color palette and maybe even pick out some patterned paper for the album first; and I agree with the other idea about keeping it a mini album. By basic colors, I mean Black and three/four shades of a favorite color. Then you can buy a pack of Bazzil and have your background/base of your pages, and when you cut them down to smaller sizes to fit and 8x8 album, you can keep the scraps for coordinating pieces of paper in your LO. Does that make sense? Can you tell I've made lots of gift albums before? LOL! Once you do that it will be a lot easier to purchase coordinating alphas, brads, flowers, bling, etc... I really like the new "popstar" line by Rusty Pickle and they have a "School Daze" line that I looooooove as well! All of it's available here in the superstore, too, and not a lot of people carry ALL of Rusty Pickle Products.

Another thing is, by all your chipboard bare, letters, brads, flowers, in white. You can always, ink, chalk, stamp, paint, sharpie whatever color you want on top!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by ScrapperSara22 on 06-15-08 07:54 AM. Reason for edit: Wanted to add another idea!

scrapchic
Guru
scrapchic
In response to ScrapperSara22

I kinda like that idea!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics