Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Where did YOU begin?        (Topic#1467905)
annie217
Guru
annie217

When I was about 13 or 14 I did my very first scrapbook. It had pictures of boyfriends and friends from a local camp that we went to every summer. The pages were nothing more than photos and a piece of paper explaining who was in the photo in green highlighter. Oh and the scrapbook was so old that it had glue pages and the glue was all slimy like. (I found it in a box in my parent's basement. I had to do the book backwards because the front pages weren't sticky anymore. HAHA) Anyway, now I'm trying to do a "real" scrapbook. I have no guidance from family or friends and just began buying stuff about a year ago. I wanted to take photos of my childhood and make a really elaborate book to show my children and later generations. However, I'm running into some trouble. Obviously, because I wasn't there I can't really do cute journaling and I find difficulty choosing a theme for the page. I'm wondering if I should start with my current life and photos and after I gain some more experience and knowledge go back to my childhood? IDK. Where did you all begin? How did you learn? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol
In response to annie217

I would start with the here and now, maybe with pages that have an established theme -- a vacation trip, a holiday, etc. and find your style, whatever it may be. Once you feel more sure of yourself (if that really ever happens for any of us), then go back and do a "heritage album".

Using "today's" photos gives many of us a chance at an OOPS, if we are using prints of digi images, since we can always print them again, but if you OOPS with your childhood prints, you can't get them back. You might consider scanning them and using the scanned copies, too.

Good luck, have fun, and as many people will tell you, there isn't ONE right way to scrap.

ScrapOfRobin
Expert
ScrapOfRobin
In response to tmmvol

I just started a few months ago, but I've started with my grandkids. I have about 5 yrs. to cover with them and hopefully I'll get it done soon. Then I plan on starting an album for DH and myself. Then an album for our kids, then a heritage album.
And I should get all those done in about 104 yrs.
All I have left to do is figure out how to live to be 1445 yrs old!!

ScrapOfRobin
Expert
ScrapOfRobin
In response to ScrapOfRobin

Can't do math today. Meant 145 yrs. old

MavsFan41
Pro
MavsFan41

Hi There! Welcome back to the scrapbooking life! :o] I recently started scrapping too and I think starting with the present and finding a theme would be a good start. I recently went on a vacation--so that is what I'm starting with now. It took me many weeks to think of where to start and gather different ideas. If you look at the Layouts posted on this website...it will help you out ALOT! Everybody is so talented and I gathered many ideas this way. I also peek at some people's gallery's to see what they are working on. It's fun! Good Luck & keep us updated on what you start with!!

-erika

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

I definitely think starting with your recent photos will be easier. That's what I did, then I went back and worked with some older ones.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to scraprabbit

Definitely start with the NOW. I only just started going through old photos (c. 1989) of myself with my now-deceased Grandmother. Last year when I was moving I went through all of my old magnetic albums and started pulling them apart to rescrap. Many were falling apart anyway which was the whole reason for taking them apart before I moved (so no photos were lost/damaged).

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to CMLeach

Most will agree that there is no wrong or right way but only ur way. Whatever u think will work best for u is the way to go BUT I've seen in many forums that when doing older photos it's best to use more earth tones vs the current colors since the older photos look better w/the earth tones. I've seen many older photos on earth tones and they do look much better.
I've not done any heritage type of LO's cuz I find them more of a challenge. I tend to hop around and not do any LO's in age order. I do whatever I'm in the mood for at the time.
Good luck and happy scrapin!

Tia Hokee
Diva
Tia Hokee
In response to spend2much

I agree that starting with your most recent photos would be the easiest. Sort your photos in chronological order, and work backwards.

Technique Tuesday, LLC
Veteran
Technique Tuesday, LLC
In response to Tia Hokee

I started as a Creative Memories consultant and I started with my wedding album?!?!!!!?
NOT SMART!!

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to annie217

lol, i can relate. i started at 12 with notebook paper, photos, cheap markers, any adhesive i could find, and artist charcoal chalk. lol ugh i ruined too many precious photos but i had no clue. i'd save your old photos and look at the picture for inspiration of what the theme should be. it's hard, but i did this a few years back myself. i found a bunch of old pics of me as a baby and organized the the best i could. (my mom couldn't remember most of the time frame on them)you can organize them in categories like baby, toddler, pre school, etc. or if the differences in age are harder to spot maybe group them in themes such as eating, sleeping, playing with dolls, etc. i also found using your favorite childhood character as a page theme or two (barbie, sesame street, rainbow brite, strawberry shortcake, etc) could be cute. hope this helps!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

I began with current stuff. I then went back to pick up some (but not all) old stuff to scrap. These days I scrap whatever I want (this year, last year, 5 years ago, 20 years ago, whatever strikes my fancy). I also took classes at my LSS when I started. I knew nothing about scrapping, and those classes got the ball rolling for me.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to annie217

I began scrapbooking only three years ago and started with a trip to Italy we'd taken. I took a 'beginners class' at a local store and I learned some interesting things. I've spent a lot of time looking at layouts here in this gallery, magazines and books and have learned what I don't like, and ideas I want to try. When I see a layout I like I quickly dissect it and ask myself "what about this do you like". I think you should start with some current pictures and after find your niche; use the older photos. I agree with some who said to scan them and use those prints...not the original ones, unless you put the originals on your pages with only photo corners: no glue.

annie217
Guru
annie217
In response to Technique Tuesday, LLC

Hehe, very brave. I think I'd be terrified I'd ruin my wedding pictures! Then again, as everyone keeps reminding me "There is no WRONG way to scrap" so I'm sure they turned out wonderful. Thanks for the response

annie217
Guru
annie217
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

It definitely helps. I was obsessed with American Girl dolls, Barbies, Cabbage Patch Kids, a book about a girl who walked her roller skate because her parents said she wasn't ready for a dog (yes, I did that too). I think I know how I'm going to tackle this then. Thanks so much!

annie217
Guru
annie217
In response to Luvmyfam

I was debating on classes at my LSS. The only one I saw was a retreat with tickets at $75 that isn't until October. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to go alone or spend that much money without knowing what I'm getting myself into. I did start scrapping out of order two days ago for the first time and it was kind of relieving. I didn't have to scrap baby pictures with 'cutsie' words when I wasn't in the mood. I think that scrapping out of order is the most beneficial, for me at least. It definitely felt more therapeutic. Thanks!

Technique Tuesday, LLC
Veteran
Technique Tuesday, LLC
In response to annie217

My advice start with a class. Learn some basics, and then play with anything current. You are much more excited about working with something that just happened. And now that we are mostly digital, if something doesn't go so well, just print more photos!!

annie217
Guru
annie217
In response to Sunnydi

I find myself wasting hours at work (oops) admiring everyone's layouts. I never really thought about "dissecting" them though. It seems as though it would be a great way to learn new techniques and develop your own style. I'll being taking that into consideration as I'm browsing the gallery. Thanks! By the way, I love your signature about the 40+ group. Your interpretation of the quote is great too.

Edited by annie217 on 06-20-08 07:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

annie217
Guru
annie217
In response to spend2much

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, since you said you hop around a bit, do you purchase multiple albums and then contribute to them as a LO is completed? Or do you store them until you have a significant amount completed and compile them? The only reason I ask is because I currently have one 12x12 pink album which I'm using as my baby album, probably 8 LOs completed, and I'm sure I won't have room for high school, college, or current. But as I mentioned in another reply, I do like the idea of doing whatever time period I'm in the mood for. I just don't want to have 100 LOs lying around with no album.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to annie217

Annie - Although I wasn't the originator of the post that's bringing your question, I do skip around a lot. I've heard that a lot of ladies here that DO skip around tend to use albums like the American Crafts D-rings so they can easily move pages around.

I just happen to have a bunch of albums. I started with one that held everything but as I've branched out I know that I want to do albums of my school years (not necesesarily school-based but those actual years). I have way too much to do one album K-college, but plan to do either K-12 and college or K-8 and 9-college. I also know I want a post college album for the two years between graduation and my marriage, so I have that in the works. I also have a family (post-marriage) album in the works, and a BOM (or random, don't fit anywhere else LOs).

I wind up scrapping a lot and just making a pile of LOs then every so often going through and adding pages in. I don't do it after EVERY page though because it would just be pointless, but I wait till I have a good set, go through the current album put them in chronologically (sometimes THIS I do as I go), then pull my album apart and start moving LOs to page protectors into the correct positions.

I use post-bound albums, as an FYI.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics