Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: eyelet setters        (Topic#1469379)
genni
genni 
Guru
genni
  • genni on 07-01-08 09:59 AM

I just bought the Fiskers eyelet setter ($9 at WalMart). I've never worked w. eyelets before. Is this a wise purchase or would I be better off with the other one (something-o-dile), that seems so popular. I never heard of either tool before this site, so I just picked up what I saw at the store today. And, how much is the other tool? Thanks

scrappinmomto2girls
Governor
scrappinmomto2girls
In response to genni

Some people use that one and like it,I have the MM eyelets setter it is my fave! I wnt the crop a dile but can't afford it right now,so I am sticking with what I got

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scrappinmomto2girls

eyelet article

genni
genni 
Guru
genni
  • genni on 07-01-08 02:23 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thanks, great article!

MindyShel
Tenant
MindyShel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

Very helpful article but thought I would add that it seems to have been written before the Crop-a-dile Big Bite came out, which has the benefits of the C-a-Dile but can punch in the middle of a layout with a much longer reach than the original.

I have had quite a few eyelet setters ... the old handy setter with a hammer (too loud), the silent setter (a bit hard to use) and both C-a-Diles which I LOVE. Got the Big Bite first and decided it was worth it to get the original too for times I didn't need the longer reach and needed a smaller tool for convenience. I use both pretty often.

scoot297
Idol
scoot297
In response to MindyShel

The small crop-a-dile is the only one I currently have, and I LOVE it. The Big Bite would be awesome as well--

Scrapbookjuls
Veteran
Scrapbookjuls
In response to scoot297

I noticed with my hammer setter, that the setter got worn and dull quick. so i did purchase the o-dile and i love it and its so simple!

babynme8
Expert
babynme8
In response to Scrapbookjuls

I three different ones and the crop-a-dile is by far the easiest to use.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to babynme8

I own a crop o dile (I won it...wouldn't purchase it). Personally, I still think it is a pain to use and if you don't get the pressure just right you mess up the eyelet still. This can lead to many a frustrated project that are damaged.

I do use mine some, but I know many people that HATE it and would not use it more. I only use mine since it was free and I had quite a few eyelets.

My personal opinion... I HATE EYELETS. Seriously, I don't think they look any better than brads, they are a pain to use, and you have to spend more on a machine to use it. Are you kidding me?

My suggestion generally is to save the 40 bucks from the crop o dile (that is what the big bite costs at least) and use it to go purchase a bunch of CUUUTE brads that are super easy to use.

Really the only thing I use my crop o dile for now is a hole punch. It IS cool that it can cut through such thick material, but that is one expensive hole punch...

I haven't met many scrapbookers that have set more than 40 eyelets EVER which places that tool at one dollar per eyelet setting use. There are much better tools to put that money toward in my opinion.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to riorabbit

Ok, just for fun... I went through and added approximately 40 dollars (actually a little less) in brads. So save the tool that just sets the eyelets basically and doesn't even include eyelets (granted you can get it with a coupon and it is less though) and instead you get way more yummy brads.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't use the eyelets anyway... I would totally have traded my crop o dile for like half of these.

genni
genni 
Guru
genni
  • genni on 07-03-08 05:49 AM
In response to riorabbit

Thank you for the information. I bought the fiskers, like the ease but it is a little loud. With previous posts raving the Crop-o-dile, I was regretting my purchase of the fiskers. But, I think you have a valid point, if you don't use eyelets that often, then the crop-o-dile is probably not a wise purchase. (I have yet to even use an eyelet, I am just kind of buying everything cool to build my arsenal
yet haven't really tried anything out.)

Next important question....BRADS, help!?

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to genni

• genni Said:

What do you need help with? Have you used brads?

They are super easy. I actually don't use any tools, but I am wierd like that. I just jab the end of the brad throgh the paper and spread its little thingies. No fuss... However, I know many people use either a hole punch, needle, or paper piercer to add them. Both of those tools are multi use and get a lot of basic ware anyway...and they are pretty cheap. Really they are just to kind of add a hole to plop the brad in if you don't want to stab it in like me.

I didn't see any hole punches in the superstore (they are a standard office supply thing though so if you don't have one...generally you can get a smaller sized one at Joanns or a variety of places for around 2 dollars).

Here are some paper piercers in the superstore though. I have the Making Memories one, but it comes with that huge pack of stuff you don't need here. They should all work about the same...

Edited by riorabbit on 07-03-08 09:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
I own a crop o dile (I won it...wouldn't purchase it). Personally, I still think it is a pain to use and if you don't get the pressure just right you mess up the eyelet still. This can lead to many a frustrated project that are damaged.

I do use mine some, but I know many people that HATE it and would not use it more. I only use mine since it was free and I had quite a few eyelets.

My personal opinion... I HATE EYELETS. Seriously, I don't think they look any better than brads, they are a pain to use, and you have to spend more on a machine to use it. Are you kidding me?

My suggestion generally is to save the 40 bucks from the crop o dile (that is what the big bite costs at least) and use it to go purchase a bunch of CUUUTE brads that are super easy to use.

Really the only thing I use my crop o dile for now is a hole punch. It IS cool that it can cut through such thick material, but that is one expensive hole punch...

I haven't met many scrapbookers that have set more than 40 eyelets EVER which places that tool at one dollar per eyelet setting use. There are much better tools to put that money toward in my opinion.

Good points. I have shied away from the "fancy" setting tools too (mostly because I'm cheap, and why buy something to do the same job as a tool I already own?)

I went through a time when I bought TONS of eyelets and used a lot of them. I don't use so many now, but I'm not giving up on them.

My setting tool is the MM anywhere hole punch and universal setter (both bought at 40-50% off), plus a hammer and plastic cutting board from the Dollar Tree. Oh, and a hard case for glasses that I keep the tools in. So, for me, the total cost of my eyelet setting tool 'kit' was probably less than $10.
For the amount of eyelets I have set, and plan to, I can justify this.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to genni

• genni Said:

I usually use my X-acto knife to cut a small slit where I want the brad.
Sometimes I use the MM Anywhere Hole Punch if I have lots of layers or something thicker to go through.

Brads are super easy! Have fun.

Ellz
Ellz 
Resident
Ellz
  • Ellz on 07-03-08 11:34 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

I bought those Fiskars eyelet setters once, but they didn't go through the flimsiest of notepaper so I gave them back

genni
genni 
Guru
genni
  • genni on 07-04-08 04:33 AM
In response to Ellz

If I pull back hard enough (that is a skill in itself) then I can get it through the paper. I'm having trouble with it clogging up with paper after each punch!

mghairgirl
Governor
mghairgirl
In response to genni

I do have a crop a dile and love it...I set eyelets often and started with the silent setter and it was just too hard to use, so I used a 40% off coupon and bought my crop a dile for $14, I do admit that is a little pricey, but it definitely makes eyelet setting easy, so I tend to make pages with eyelets more often now, of course I use brads too...it just depends on my mood that day as to what little embellie I am going to use...too many choices!!!!!
I don't know much about the fiskar setter...I do know that the crop a dile does go through thick surfaces, but it does have a limit as to where it can be put on the page unless you get the big bite, which is more money and a lot bigger...just sharing my 2 cents!

momofaym
Veteran
momofaym
In response to genni

I have the Fiskar's one your talking about and it works great for me. Eventually I'll probably get the Crop-o-dile just because it's something new but what you bought works great too ! Enjoy !

momofaym
Veteran
momofaym
In response to genni

When the Fiskar's eyelet setter gets clogged I just take a push pin (the same one I use to poke a whole through the paper before I use my brads) and pick at it and they all fall out. Hope that helps !

Edited by momofaym on 07-05-08 04:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to riorabbit

I appreciate your honest opinion RioRabbit. I was thinking about getting an eyelet tool just to do something different with my layouts, but I think I'll just invest in brads instead. They are so pretty - and besides I actually don't even know what to use an eyelet for !

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics