Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: HELP!! What do YOU bring to crops?        (Topic#1469921)
Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy

What type of organizer(s) do YOU bring to crops and why? I will be attending my first crop soon and it will be a big one. Any advice on what it will be like or what types of tools/ materials I should use will be greatly appreciated.

The crop party will be about 5 hours long.

Edited by Dr.Scrappy on 07-05-08 06:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to Dr.Scrappy

I have a Sizzix Big Shot and maybe 5 or 6 dies to go with it.
A total of about 15 scissors and hole punchers.
About 30 markers.
About 1.5 cases worth of paper
A bunch of buttons, chipboard, adhesives, and about 7 spools of ribbon.

Just FYI. Might help in answering my question.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

I occasionally attend crops at my LSS. I prefer to travel light but sometimes I end up not having exactly what I need. That's when I end up having to buy something or leave a blank spot on my page and finish it when I get home.

I own a Crop In Style XXL but it's too big for my liking. It holds a ton but if you fill it it's very heavy to get in and out of the car. I have to go up several stairs to get to my LSS and the XXL isn't very practical for that reason. I use my Crop In Style Jr. a lot. It's big enough to hold 12x12 paper and other stuff. If I need more room I also have a CIS backpack. I haven't used the backpack in quite a while though. A friend of mine passed on a great storage caddy for my basic tools. I keep it on my scrap table at home and when I pack for a crop I just have to grab it and go.

I always make page kits in advance so my patterned paper , cardstock, embellishments and photos are ready to use.

Products Referenced in This Post:
Crop In Style Jr. - Black (Discontinued)

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

I usually bring my NaNavigator because it has ALL of my tools in it. I think you're supposed to be able to put an album in there, too, but it's too full!

As for what to bring, it depends on where the crop is being held. Is it at a store or someone's house? If it's at an LSS (local scrapbook store ) then you might not need too many tools as they usually have quite a selection; if it's at someone's house, you may want to plan out your layouts beforehand to determine which tools to take with you. or call the hostess to see what she has that you can use.

HTH!

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.

I usually bring my rolling tote, which contains my basics - cutters, cutting mats, paper, kits I've made up, and embellishments I might need. I also bring a smaller tabletop tote that has my adhesives and small tools.

You can choose what else to bring depending on where the crop is and what tools they will have available. I crop at a church hall, not an LSS, so unless somebody brings their Cricut to share, we all provide our own tools. We do share with each other, but the crop host doesn't provide anything like a LSS would.

Have fun!

-Mary

JaineParr
Veteran
JaineParr

I regularly go to Friday night, 6-midnight crops. I take my NA Navigator tote and my AMM toolbag. I don't have them crammed full, either. When I first started going to crops, I packed a lot of stuff. The more I went to, the less I packed.

I also created a list of things that I need to take with me. That makes packing for a crop really fast.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to scrapbookbuzz

It's actually going to be at the Rubber Stamp and Scrapbook Expo at the Hartford Civic Center.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to JaineParr

Yeah, my biggest fear is not having enough with me, but at the same time I don't want to roll in looking like a dorkus

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to Mary W.

Oh okay, so it is okay to show up with more than one thing in your hand.

Does anybody ever NOT show up with a rolling tote?? In that case, how do you pack your stuff?

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn

I use the rolling tote, why would you want to have to physically carry all your stuff?

I usually have the tool tote shown and it has a spinning carousel, and then a rolling tote. Make it easier on yourself.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.

I've seen people bring those plastic storage boxes stacked on a luggage cart-type thing. And I've seen people just bring a tote bag! I find it easier to make up page kits before I go, and then all I have to bring is the page kits and a few extra embellishments in case I don't like what I put with the kits. After you go to a couple crops, you'll find what works best for you. For your first one, you'll find that you've either over packed or didn't bring enough!!

-Mary

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

I carry my paper and embellies in the Crop In Style below. It's not a rolling tote.

I carry my tools in the pink bag sitting on my desk. It stays packed all of the time to save time and space. The only thing that doesn't stay packed in it is the rotary part of my trimmer. When I'm home that attaches back to the guillotine part.

My Scrap Space
By Miracles_momma

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie

I was the same way earlier this year. I found I brought way to much. And didn't need it.

I would say pre plan what you are going to do. Then pre pack from there.

I pre cut things, so I could shop and well a visit with others. So it cut down on my time.

However, make sure you have your everyday scrappin things. Scissors, glue, pens, cutter etc. These are must. Some LSS have thing you can use, such as die cuts, Cricuts, deco scissors. So find out what they have.

But make sure you bring, water, favorite snack to share, and comfy clothing, and your wonderful self. Don't stress if you don't get done what you want. You will be there to share lots of stuff. Have fun.

GrandmaG
Mayor
GrandmaG

first off make sure all of the tools you take are labeled or marked...that way if someone borrows it you'll know it's yours when you leave.

I use to carry tons of stuff but cut back to just a couple of shoulder totes for the 4 hour or less crops (I'll put every thing in the XXL if it's an 8 hr crop). One tote for planners, and the other one for tools I'll use.

Pre-plan as much as possible...I use the Cropper Hopper page planners...I also have decorated my planners so I know they are mine...I had two to disappear at a crop...I fill each planner with all the things I might use on the LO. I have a small box for brads and the little bulky stuff that will damage the page planner.

I really don't think people just take things to be taking them, but when we stop chatting so much and start srapping we tend to lose track of time and have to clean up rather quickly...

If you plan to go to crops often I would invest in two sets of hand tools that you use often (like adhesives, tape runners, scissors, etc...one set for the house and one set to keep in you bag...gosh it saves a lot of time packing and unpacking...You will only have to unpack your LO's and stuff you didn't use.

Good Luck and have fun!!

Puppydog Jammies
Diva
Puppydog Jammies
In response to GrandmaG

everything i own...

kellymandoruth
Tenant
kellymandoruth
In response to Puppydog Jammies

I am a huge planner when it comes to crops because it is usually the only time I get to scrapbook (no DH, no kiddos). I agree with the above poster that said about the Cropper Hopper organizer. I dont use that but I bought 12x12 plastic craft storage envelopes that are about the same thing. They are 1.99 a piece at Michaels. So I put all the photos, journaling, embellishments and paper I think I want to use on that particular LO and then when I get to the crop I am already organized and ready to go. FYI last time I took 12 envelopes to a 9 hour crop and finished all but one. It really helps to have a good game plan.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to JaineParr

• JaineParr Said:
I regularly go to Friday night, 6-midnight crops. I take my NA Navigator tote and my AMM toolbag. I don't have them crammed full, either. When I first started going to crops, I packed a lot of stuff. The more I went to, the less I packed.

I also created a list of things that I need to take with me. That makes packing for a crop really fast.

I use these same things, except I also take a second Nanavagator, cause I never know what I am scrapping, so I figure I will have lots of stuff with me. I usually have two or three projects in mind when I go.
(I CANNOT do the power cropping thing. If you put most of it together at home, then why not stay home and finish?)

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to DawnInAZ

• DawnInAZ Said:
  • JaineParr Said:

I use these same things, except I also take a second Nanavagator, cause I never know what I am scrapping, so I figure I will have lots of stuff with me. I usually have two or three projects in mind when I go.
(I CANNOT do the power cropping thing. If you put most of it together at home, then why not stay home and finish?)

PLUS I take a plastic container with flowers in it and a small plastic container with ribbons.
I know, I am crazy girl!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to DawnInAZ

I have a rolling tote from Scrap, Paper, Scissors that I use.
- I pull papers for the pages I want to do, and put the cardstock/pp/pictures all together. I do this for with several sets -- and actually prefer to scrap one "theme" so I only bring those pics, those papers, those embellies.
- I have bead boxes for brads, buttons, etc. which I pack.
- I only have a small number of flowers, so I bring them.

I also have a small hand-held tote from Scrap, Paper, Scissors which I keep my ribbons, deco-scissors, and other tools in all the time at home, and which have room that I can toss my pens, markers, etc. in.

I also bring either a binder I have with sketches I've printed off the internet, or the PageMaps book for ideas.

I do NOT bring stamps or ink pads. Or anything that can create a mess like that.

Oh, and definitely remember your paper cutter, a good set of scissors and notepad (or sticky notes to attach to your LOs) for you to write down what you may need to add to the LO, etc.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

in addition to packing for the crop, I also prepare for the crop but picking out the project(s) I plan on working on. I pick out the photos, papers, couple embellishments, ink stamps, etc. and may even have a basic layout. That way I am not dragging every photo, all of my pattern paper, embellishments, etc.

AND don't forget to pack drinks, snacks, tissues, and a little garbage bag.

PS Gelidy's CROP Packing List

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics