Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: HELP!! What do YOU bring to crops?        (Topic#1469921)
JaineParr
Veteran
JaineParr
In response to DawnInAZ

• DawnInAZ Said:
  • DawnInAZ Said:
  • JaineParr Said:
I regularly go to Friday night, 6-midnight crops. I take my NA Navigator tote and my AMM toolbag. I don't have them crammed full, either. When I first started going to crops, I packed a lot of stuff. The more I went to, the less I packed.

I also created a list of things that I need to take with me. That makes packing for a crop really fast.

I use these same things, except I also take a second Nanavagator, cause I never know what I am scrapping, so I figure I will have lots of stuff with me. I usually have two or three projects in mind when I go.
(I CANNOT do the power cropping thing. If you put most of it together at home, then why not stay home and finish?)

PLUS I take a plastic container with flowers in it and a small plastic container with ribbons.
I know, I am crazy girl!

I will occasionally go cropping on my motorcycle. When you do that, you have to cut down to the essentials. I used to do the, "If I feel like working on it..." type of packing. One or two crops by motorcycle where I had one project and got a lot done taught me that if I have one thing to do, I do that one thing. If I have a lot of choices, I spend time choosing and get very little done.

I drive a 4 X 4 truck when I'm not riding. It's tall. Lifting my NA tote up into my truck is no big deal. Lifting a larger tote or lifting two totes would be a bother and too much effort. With a full sized pickup, I could pack my entire crop room, including tables. But each week?

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to DawnInAZ

• DawnInAZ Said:
(I CANNOT do the power cropping thing. If you put most of it together at home, then why not stay home and finish?)

In addition to using the time to scrapbook, I also use it to socialize with other scrapbookers. I could probably get a lot more done if I only scrapped at home, but it wouldn't be as much fun. I put kits together because it takes me a long time to pick out paper and embellies and to plan the page. I don't want to waste that time doing it at the crop. If I did that, I'd spend about 4 hours just choosing my paper and not get anything else done! Also, since I can't possibly take all my supplies to a crop, page kits are the best way to pare it down to a usable amount to take. Works for me!

-Mary

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to Dr.Scrappy

i have a tote i put my stuff into. as for what i put in it all depends on what kind of layout i'm doing...just bring the stuff you couldn't scrap without and then add in embelishments, paper, etc based on what projects you plan on getting done.

Technique Tuesday, LLC
Veteran
Technique Tuesday, LLC
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

Do you mean leave everything I need in my scraproom and actually socialize while I scrap???
That would mean I would have to be organized and NOT make a mess.
You girls are awesome!

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to Ms Jackie

Thanks for your perspective Ms Jackie and I really appreciate all the advice I'm getting from everyone else as well.

I'm getting so stressed about this. I have to decide between purchasing an organizer(s) or buying new goods at the expo.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to GrandmaG

Wow...Thieves at the crop party lol.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to DawnInAZ

Yes, Dawn ... that is crazy, but I'm like you.
The other day I went to scrap for about 4 hours at my friends house and she has not too much "stuff" for me to work with so I took everything I could think of packaged like this:

My laptop in my laptop bookbag - because I might need to print some pictures. However, I never printed anything!!

Inside of a large duffle bag lol - my sizzix big shot (heavy and never actually used), all of my about 5 dies, my stamps (about 6) and 3 acrylic blocks, my long paper trimmer, a clear storage box loaded to the max with papers in the most disorganized fashion you could think of, and in individual small plastic boxes were my chipboard pieces, my embellies, and my stickers.

In that duffle bag I also willy nilly threw in some cardstock stacks.

Nope that duffle bag had NO compartments and by the time I was done I couldn't even zip it up.
:smile :
I also carried a make shift basket of doodle tools, scissors, and punchers!

Needless to say my back was killing me, my arm was about to fall off, and my leg was bruised from the duffle bag bumping me with its many bulging edges from all the boxes I stuffed in it.

I refuse to go to the crop looking ridiculous. It's bad enuf that none of my friends will come with me.

Dsnygrl
New Kid On the Block
Dsnygrl

Okay...

After years and years of trying to figure it out this is what I came up with...

I bring my CM tote (with the over the shoulder strap) packed with:

Black and White bazzil cs, a couple pieces of chipboard a couple of templates, cutting mat and a couple of containers of metal (eyelets, brads, etc...) Also a stacking (snaping) container (from tarjay or M's) with rub-ons in one compartment, distress inks in another, flowers and other small embellies in another, etc... I can snap together up to 5 compartments and still fit it into the bag. In the outer pockets of the bag: MM tool kit, chalks, watercolor pencils, & cork. Also a few locking boxes for metals and small embellies (brads, eyelets, photo turns, etc...) I also bring my ribbon rings in my tote (layed across the top.)

Then I bring a large tool box that has scissors, all my adhesives (liquid, tape runner and refills, photo splits, pop dots, Glue Dots , foam squarts, etc..), my trimmer, rotary cutter, craft knife, ZIG markers, gold/silver pens, red eye corrector, black ink, chamios, pick up square, trimmer blade refills, etc... all the tool type stuff that you always need.

In a large ArtBin I carry my projects in envelopes. One layout per envelope including pictures, pp, cs, and any embellies to match.

In another large ArtBin I carry extra like sheets of rub-ons, chipboard letter sets, sets of clear stamps, etc...

If I'm going on a weekend crop I'll bring my whole clip-it up. Otherwise, I've learned to pare it down.

LOL, if this is whittled down, imagine what I used to bring!

hollystar
Veteran
hollystar
In response to Dsnygrl

i pack my XXL tote with my ZIG s, two PSB with my embellishments (i even store my flowers in the PSB) i also manage to squeeze in a art bin plastic box filled with PP that i'm currently into. inside the side pockets and in the LITTLE space left inside the tote, i stash glitter, extra adhesive, punches, chipboard, stencils, and other misc junk i can squeeze in there.

in my CIS JR tote, i have all of my current pages organized with photos and PPs for each project in page planner pocket. i also keep spares of my scissors, small tape runner and pens in a self standing case in this tote in case i need it when i use this tote for my classes.

in my TOTEally Cool thingie, i have all my everyday tools. different pairs of scissors, glues, tape gun, ruler, extra black and white pens, paper trimmer, cropadile, black and brown ink pads, etc...

i also have another tote, the amy butler tool caddy they sell at M's for my stamps. i have my inks in a schoolbox like container and my acrylic blocks and stamps in there too.

i dont typically bring any solid CS with me. i almost always crop at a LSS so i just buy whatever CS i need there. if i'm going to a crop at someone's house/church, then i'll bring another artbin container of CS.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ

I think it is important to spend a moment with the photos you will be scrapping. Think about what you want the finished layouts to look like. Then pack that stuff. I use the Cropper Hopper page planners, as mentioned earlier. They are wonderful for holding paper, stickers, and photos. If you don't finish the project, it is ready for next time. I take 6 sheets of each color of solid paper (I keep it ready in a large Cropper Hopper paper holder). I also have the pink totes that everyone else has mentioned for keeping the supplies handy on the table. I do take my embossing/stamping kit, but I leave it in the car; it is for just in case. If I know I will use a certain ink pad, I toss it in my handy dandy pink tool caddy. I don't take my book or magazines or any tools that the place would have to offer, except of course my cutter, scissors and coluzzle. I crop once a month and have my rolling bag pretty well planned!

Tenant
In response to Croppin4Christ

I used to only scrap at crops in the past so my stuff was always packed.

Since I now have a baby...I tend to crop more at home. As well, my CM consultant stopped selling so I lost my cropping buddy.

However, I just met a fantastic CTMH rep that I am going to start scrapping with...

Anyways...I have a CM tote and another rolling scrapbook bag that I use.

Now, I am going to start trying to plan pages a bit better.

But I bring all my paper, most of my stickers, and some stamps that I will use.

I always have my picutres sorted in the CM sorting box so I bring that as well.
I also have a small little bag from CM that I use for my tape runners. I will bring pens as well...

I guess I mostly bring it all....because I never like to be without...I can fit it all in two bags though...

BabeeBK
Veteran
BabeeBK

Where are you going to crop? I need to find somewhere other than my house? LOL

Rachel's mom
Veteran
Rachel's mom
In response to BabeeBK

Unfortunatly, I think the answer for what to pack is based on trial and error. After one or two crops, you will get a feel for how you like to do it and what you will need. I agree that it does help to plan your pages in advace, if you are comfortable with sticking to the plan...I have serious issues with that...I just can't seem to do it!! Anyway, The one item that is always in my bag or rolling tote when I go to a crop is my special scrappy notebook. I put sketches in there, shopping lists, ideas...you name it. There is a lot of inspiration to be had at a crop!! It would also be a great place to make a list of what you want to bring on your next crop!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

This gets asked alot.

What to take to crops

Power Cropping

I really don't like any premade tote made for scrappers. I find them difficult to load and unload. I did most of my scrapping away from home, maybe I'd like them more but since I scrap equally as much from home as away I prefer these totes:

Folding Rolling Cart

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 07-08-08 11:08 AM
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I preplan layouts into 2 gallon ziplock bags. Everything goes in those for the layout. I put any small buttons, brads etc in a smaller ziplock so they don't get lost. If I can't decide on paper before the crop, I put a couple of options in the bag and seal it up. I pack one tote with basic tools and any I think I might want to use. I also add in any I know my friends don't have so we can share. They do the same.

I have a craft robo that I cut a lot of titles for so I also pack post it notes so I can add notes on my layouts as to what I need to finish when I get home. I can usually sit down for one evening and cut out whatever I need to finish layouts up. I try to make as many layout kits as I have ziplock bags. If I run out of kits while at a multi day crop, I run home and make more.

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to BabeeBK

Hey BK.
I'm going to the Saturday night crop party at the CT Rubber Stamp & Scrapbook Expo this weekend.

But, if you send me your email address in a PM then I'll add you to the evites that I send out for our monthly crop that I hold. It's free and usually at someone's house. There are on average about 4 or 5 of us.

scrills
Veteran
scrills
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I don't have a rolling tote, so I....

- Pre-organize my layouts and take the papers I need plus some extras. I use the big 13x13 plastic envelopes. I can also store my embellishments in here. This is where I over pack

- cropodile

- brads

- stamp book (80% of my stamps are in one book)

- chalk/ink

- paper cutter

- book for inspiration

I throw all these into one of those canvas bags, the kind you use for grocery shoping.

scrills
Veteran
scrills
In response to scrills

Figured I might as well answer here as well....

I store my clear stamps in a binder on a sheet of acrylic I had cut down at the craft store. I simply used a 3-hole punch and placed them in the binder. I can fit 8 sheets per 1" inch binder. I try to store them by theme/type/ style. I keep all the orginal films that came with the stamps for reference.

Clear Stamp Storage By Scrills

Dr.Scrappy
Tenant
Dr.Scrappy
In response to scrills

Thanks Scrills.
As an update, I took a rather small to medium size rolling tote that I got from Joann fabrics with my 40% coupon. A plastic storage box packed with every piece of paper I owned. I strapped my Big Shot to the top of the rolling tote.

What I neglected to bring:
A jacket for the air conditioning
The photos I planned to scrap

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

• Dr.Scrappy Said:
What type of organizer(s) do YOU bring to crops and why? I will be attending my first crop soon and it will be a big one. Any advice on what it will be like or what types of tools/ materials I should use will be greatly appreciated.

The crop party will be about 5 hours long.

I have pre-planned LO's with the pix, papers, embellies etc I want, put them in protective sleeves and then actually assemble at the crops.
I have also packed up everything and taken it with me-- I have to say I prefer the pre-planned method. If I get to the crop w/o something, I leave space for it on the LO and add it when I get home--

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics