Username Post: what would should I buy next?        (Topic#1469951)
marineswifey
Tenant
marineswifey

Right now I have my first page done in my first scrapbook. I am ok with how it turned out but I don't have much of anything to use. I have decorative scissors, cardstock, and some stickers. I have a coupon to M's and was wondering what is something that I would really use a lot. Also, this may sound weird but what are die cuts?

Ashley

married05
Idol
married05
In response to marineswifey

Die cuts are just shaped pieces of paper - you can buy them pre-cut, cut them yourself with a die cut machine like the Cricut, or usually use a die cut machine to cut your own at Archiver's or your local scrapbooking store.

Do you have a paper trimmer? (Mine is by Provocraft, but I hear good things about Fiskar's.)

How about a good pair of regular scissors? I love my Cutterbees! Perfect for intricate cuts.

Punches are great too and typically not very expensive. A corner rounder is my must-have punch.

Other than those, decide what types of things you want to try. If you want to use flowers on your page you can use a button or a brad for the center. If you use a brad, you can buy a paper piercer or just use something like a thumbtack.

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'

Congratulations on your first layout! What a fun hobby that stands the tests of time.

I would be lost without my circle and oval cutters. I have the CM cutting system, but started out with just stencils that I still use. You will want to invest in a few good pens for journaling, and adhesives that work for your style. I like tape runners, mounting squares and a glue pen for tiny embellishments.

KristeyK
Resident
KristeyK
In response to mj scrappin'

I have to agree with the paper trimmer. They are WONDERFUL to have. I also love my little cutterbee scissors.
I would suggest a couple of inks. They can be used to distress pages or when you want to get a few stamps they're there for that too.
Honestly though, my fave thing to do lately is get out of the SB aisle and see what other little goodies are in other parts of the store that I can use for sb. (Like these little mirrored tiles, ribbons, silk flowers that can be made to lie flat on a page, colored staples from office supplies...things like that. It's also a LOT cheaper to sb that way!)
BUT...first and foremost, GOOD things to cut with and a nice basic black pen to journal with.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to KristeyK

I would also recommend a trimmer if you don't already have one.

How about some flowers and brads? You can get flowers pretty cheaply (you don't have to buy brand name Primas), usually on sale or at the dollar store. Just buy a branch of silk flowers and take it apart! Brads are pretty inexpensive (you can use a coupon on those) and go very nicely with the flowers or in tons of other creative ways. I also suggest a brown ink pad. I use mine to ink the edges of papers all the time. It just adds a finished look or a distressed look, whichever you're going for.
Congrats on your first layout (take a pic and upload it to your gallery so we can see it!). I'm glad you're having fun!

-Mary

melissa_1959
Pro
melissa_1959

A 12" trimmer is an absolute must and would be a perfect item for your 50 percent off coupon. I have a Fiskars "F" style trimmer (for taking to crops) and a really nice Making Memories trimmer (for home).
You might want to get a nice journaling pen; a couple ink pads for distressing (edging) the paper; a couple bottles of acrylic paint and maybe a punch that you will use over and over. (For me, the Fiskars flower-shaped squeeze punch is one that gets lots of use.)

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to melissa_1959

I would definitely recommend a trimmer (love my MM) and scissors (also love my Fiskars ) next. After that it really depends on what style lo's you want to do--surfing the gallery and seeing what materials people use in lo's you like is a great start; in fact, that's what I did when I was getting started.

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to scrapperbee

Definitely a good paper trimmer!! It's a must have. I got this Cutterpede one at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and I love it.
Products Referenced in This Post:
Cutterpede Trimmer (Discontinued)

Rowan
Rowan 
Veteran
Rowan
  • Rowan on 07-07-08 11:42 AM
In response to CraftyCandace

I have to go with Trimmer like everyone else. I didn't have one to start with and let me tell you the first LO I did after I got one went soooo much faster.

Also I started out with a cheap cutting knife that didn't cut smooth and was just plain garbage. Get what you pay for I guess with some things. I recently bought the new Fiskars one that goes on your finger since it had good reviews here in the superstore. So I would say get a nice cutting knife something that works well and cuts smooth. This isn't worth using your coupon on but since your gonna be there

Also those Cutter Bee scissors are really nice addition to your tool supply.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Rowan on 07-07-08 11:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

courtney8818
Veteran
courtney8818
In response to Rowan

You should try rubber stamping. It is so easy with the right tools and it adds a little extra something and some dimension to any project. That's what I do, and it's quick, easy, and is just so darn cute. Hope this helps.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

assuming you have adhesives the next thing I would recommend is a good quality marker for journaling.

now before you rush out and buy a bunch of stuff try and test out varous tools first. You can usually do this at your local scrapbooking store, crops, and through scrapping friends. Scrapping friends may even have a few hand-me-down supplies.

Her Royal Awesomeness
Diva
Her Royal Awesomeness
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Ribbon is also a cheap embellishment. Buttons, brads, eyelets, acrylic paint, ink pads

Check out other areas of your store. You can get sandpaper for distressing as well. Possibly some stuff out of the fishing stuff at Wal-Mart? (They DID have beads and stuff to make your own hook things)

I would buy a plastic tote for storage for now. As your supply collection grows, your storage will have to, as well, but atleast something to put all of your stuff away when you don't really have time to be working on it.

deigh_z33
Expert
deigh_z33
In response to Her Royal Awesomeness

I agree with everyone about a good paper trimmer. I have a Friskars and love it! Also, some staple items that are good to have on hand include: brads, flowers, ribbon, paper piecer and thread. You'll also want a good pair of scissors. Have fun!

Tenant
In response to deigh_z33

I would say a paper trimmer, black pen and scissors are the most important and of cousre adhesive (which I am assuming you already have).

As well, a big pack of cardstock with lots of colors.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics