Username Post: Scrapbooking Brands!        (Topic#1471359)
New Kid On the Block

Hi all!

I have been scrapbooking for a few years now (nothing to brag about, LOL!) but I need some advice.

I am going on a big shopping spree for all scrapbooking items (punches, stamps, papers, embellishments) for my next book. It is going to be about my mom and me, and it is going to be her big birthday present.

Does anyone have any go to brands or any hot item suggestions? Thanks!

ScrappyBud

New Kid On the Block
In response to ScrappyBud

I like Making Memories , pink paislee, Scenic Route papers, little yellow bicycle papers, I love QuicKutz dies...hope this help...

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to scrappingartist

I like a mosh posh of things, but some of my favorite brands are...
Technique Tuesday (stamps)
Inque Boutique (stamps, whispers ink & markers)
Queen Kat (Stamps)
Rusty Pickle (pp, chipboard)
Doodlebug (brads, glitter, eyelets)
Bazzill (cardstock)
Prima (flowers, bling)
xyron (adhesive, lamination)
Glue Dots (adhesive)
Pebbles (chalk)
American Crafts (thickers)
Tim Holtz (inks)
Cropper Hopper (storage)
Making Memories (pp, paints, precision trimmer)
Cricut and Carts (dies)
Everything else is pretty much general...don't really care what brand most of the time.

Ok, well there are a few more than I thought HTH!! Have fun on your shopping spree!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to llprncess3

Wow--Thanks for the list! I went last night to Michaels and had a blast (my boyfriend couldn't understand why I spent so much money! LOL)

I mentioned in the other part of the forum I saw some Martha Stewart stuff. It looked interesting.

Any one else have any suggestions? Thanks!

ScrappyBud

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Buyer's Remorse seems to be a very common subject around here.
Many scrappers
- think they overbuy and soon regret the amount of money they spent.
- buy too much of a particular item such as flowers, stickers, etc.
- buy the wrong tools or tools they never end up using.
- find their taste in materials change and they are stuck with product that no longer suits them.

So my advice would be
1) GO EASY, don't buy a bunch of stuff at once, ease into it.
2) Borrow, Borrow, borrow, where ever you can & use a tool before you buy it.
3) Develope some "spending rules".
Mine are "I will never spend more then $1 on something that will be used on only 1 page." "I will NEVER pay more then $5 for embellishments ever!" "I refused to pay $25 for a stamp set. That is just plain"

courtney8818
Veteran
courtney8818
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Stampin' Up! has the CUTEST stuff. Check it out and look at the online catalog! www.courtneymcaulay.stampinup.net

New Kid On the Block
In response to courtney8818

Buyer's remorse! totally. I actually bought a pp from M's and after taking home, I was contemplating whether I actually should have bought it.

Thanks for the advice!

I realized I totally need more embellishments though (Stickers, ribbons, and some rhinestone things). Any suggestions for those?

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace

Hi and welcome to sb.com ! I'm fairly new to this, too so I'm trying to build up my supplies as well. My rule is - I only buy it when it's on sale or if I have a coupon, unless I absolutely have to have it. For example, last week I ran out of adhesives and had to run to Wal-Mart and get some. So this week Hobby Lobby had them 50% off so I stocked up so I would have them when I ran out! I get emails from Michael's and Hobby Lobby telling me about their sales and they usually mail out a coupon. You can sign up on their website. There are other stores too that others can tell you more about. I only have a Michael's and HL near me so that's all I know about. I just try to buy a little each time I get paid so I can build my collection.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_

if buying a lot of paper, i suggest dcwv stacks. they have a nice thickness to them and some of the designs are amazing. when buying a stack, flip through it and ask yourself how much of it would you really use? if it's around 75%+ of the stack, then you would be getting a good value for your dollar.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

You might check out Oriental Trading (they have a website by the same name, just no space) They have a large variety of different brads, ribbons, etc. that you can't get elsewhere. They're lower priced than you can get in the LSS, even though you do pay postage, and they are very fast. I know some people say they aren't "top quality", but I figure once I have a brad hooked on my page and put it in page protector, no one is going to know if I spent 50 cents or 3 dollars on it anyway!

New Kid On the Block
In response to dwelch

internet stores? totally forgot about those! I feel like I would want to actually hold the paper before buying it, no?

susanlk
Expert
susanlk

I'd say for theme-specific paper & stickers, only buy what you have pictures for at this moment. These are two things that your tastes may change before you get to use it if you buy too much right now with no pictures in mind.

I find (for me) that things like bling, flowers, alphas and other general embellishments that can be used on multiple types of pictures are the embellishments that I can stock up on.

I've been scrapping for about 9 years, so I have learned what products I will still like for a long time down the road.

My biggest weaknesses are: rub-ons (Basic Grey), chipboard (Fancy Pants), alphas (all kinds, especially Thickers by American Crafts and rub-on alphas), bling ( Heidi Swapp & Me and My Big Ideas ) and ribbon (all kinds).

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to susanlk

I am the same way...I like to see what it is I'm buying in person too! Usually I will go to the stores and see things, and then find them cheaper online, or vice versa...look online and then go see them in the stores.

One piece of advice be careful. It is very easy to look at what other people have and like, and then buy the same things, only to find you really don't use them or like them as much as you thought you would. I agree with the above poster about stickers. That is the one thing everyone tends to have WAY more than they will ever need or use. They are very cute, but someimes you never find anything to use them on and they just sit.

HTH!! Let me know if you have anymore questions!

New Kid On the Block
In response to llprncess3

wow! thanks for all of the great advice. I didn't know there were so many helpful people on here!

so I have atrated looking at online shops now, and I really like American Crafts .

Any others?

Coolbunny
Veteran
Coolbunny

I love the distressed look right now.

So I love
Basic Gray paper.
Tim Holtz Distressed ink pads
Prima flowers (the two coloured ones give nice depth and interest)

I love the idea of a huge book for your mom (and I'm sure she will love it). Are you planning to do a "theme", like mostly brown n blue or distressed, etc. I think that would be a cool idea too, to think about.

Have fun with your project!!

MarlaE
MarlaE 
Resident
MarlaE
In response to Coolbunny

I agree with other posters: Beware Buyers Remorse

I too have some rules I've made for myself.

If I need it for a layout I'm working on right now, and the cost isn't outrageous, I can get it. If it's more than a couple dollars though I have to have a coupon. So I can get some brads, another sheet of paper, that kind of thing, but just because I want to cut out a title from matching paper does NOT mean I can run right out and get a Cricuit!

Anything I *want* but don't *need* for a current layout has to be at least 40% off. Not too hard since HL & M's have 40-50% off sales most every week.

As far as brands go, I've never been much impressed by the name on the label. If I like it and it looks nice, I'll get it. So afraid I'm no help there!

ME

New Kid On the Block
In response to MarlaE

Thanks everyone so much for your help! The theme I am experimenting with right now is a sort of girly tea party. Kind of antique.

Everyone here is so nice!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants

Like some other's have suggested - just buy what you need for now. You may want to take some of the pictures with you to the store to get a feel for what papers you like with them. From there you can work on embellishments, ribbons, etc. Have fun - that's what it's all about!!

Coolbunny
Veteran
Coolbunny
In response to SmartyPants

"Thanks everyone so much for your help! The theme I am experimenting with right now is a sort of girly tea party. Kind of antique."

I LOVE that theme idea!!!

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney

• ScrappyBud Said:
internet stores? totally forgot about those! I feel like I would want to actually hold the paper before buying it, no?

Someone has to say it...

Scrapbook.com has a superstore with some really nice supplies! I have bought a lot of paper here, both paper packs (great for a themed album like this) or individual sheets. I've never had a problem with quality with anything from here, so I dont' worry that I need to see it in person.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics