Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Organizing Printed Photo's ?        (Topic#1471573)
akba
akba 
Veteran
akba
  • akba on 07-16-08 05:26 PM

I am far behind and overwhelmed with so many photos I want to scrap. I do "yearly" albums which end up chronological but along the way scrap whatever "hits me" at the moment (then just arrange my albums chronological).

How do you organize your printed photos? Mine are just in the envelopes I received them in from the printing company so anytime I want to scrap I need to pull them out and look through them. Not organized in any way.

How do your organize your photos? I would love a way to "see" them all (without having to keep pulling them out of envelopes).

TIA!

LilSweetpea
Pro
LilSweetpea
In response to akba

Hi~
Oh boy! Is this a huge task or what? Your post hit close to home as I have just organized all of my photos last week. And guess what? No more envelopes!! YAY!!! What I did was finally decide to put them in actual albums. And then label the albums per year or per subject. That way I can see them all, keep them organized neatly, and then pull from the album when I am or if I do scrapbook them. If I don't get to them at least they are protected and viewable! It took me an entire weekend but I feel so much more organized. Hope this helps and good luck!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to LilSweetpea

Mine are in a photobox (except for some themed ones-- like all my Girl Scout years, etc.). I take an index card, fold it around the top of the photos and label what they are. Then they go chronologically into the box.

SEE YA
SEE YA 
Resident
SEE YA
In response to CMLeach

I use a photobox too - but sooo cumbersome to use

Caneen
Caneen 
Tenant
Caneen
In response to SEE YA

For my printed photos I put them in a photo box with an index card full of little notes and comments I'm afraid I will forget. For the most part I let picasa2 do all my organizing for me, I look up what I want there then go get the box its in (in the note section on picasa I note the photo box number). I have gotten lazy however and rarely send anything off to be printed anymore, I just print them at home, I know it costs more but I can get what I need when I want it.

All Red...
Mayor
All Red...
In response to SEE YA

I am in the process of printing up years of photos. I am then putting them into albums by date. I decided on this because at least my children can see the pictures I am so behind on getting to.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ
In response to akba

I use the Cropper Hopper Photo Case and the picture holders. The holders also work in the cardboard photo boxes. I sort my pictures by event and sometimes by person. When I attend a crop, I just grab the holder that I want and go. My photos are organized neatly on a shelf. I love the feeling I get when I scrap and entire holder and get to replace it with new pictures!! Great feeling to finish something. I prefer the smaller Cropper Hopper case. Easier to carry. I have two of them and I couldn't do without them. Plus, I have about 12 of the cardboard boxes. When the small holders go on sale, I purchase them to add to the boxes.

Tenant
In response to akba

I organize them in stacks and them put them one on top of the other stack and put them in a box that i got from Dollar Tree. It is the perfect size for pictures but I'm running out of space now for the rest of my pictures so I'm putting them into my scrapbook bag now.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to akba

• akba Said:
Mine are just in the envelopes I received them in from the printing company so anytime I want to scrap I need to pull them out and look through them. Not organized in any way.

That's how mine are. I only have prints done when I know I'll have time to scrap. If I haven't scrapped in awhile and I still have prints sitting there, I don't order anymore until I get through those.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Judy_Scraps

I use the Creative Memories Power Sort. (Ok, I use 4 of the big ones and three of the small ones!) Everything is sorted by date. The older photos are sorted just by the month (and sometimes event) as best that I can remember, while the new ones are sorted by month, day and event using plastic reusable index cards. I try not to print anything that I'm not going to scrap immediately, but sometimes life interferes.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to akba

I use actual albums. I really like to be able to LOOK at photos even if they aren't scrapbooked. Luckily, there are a few awesome manufacturers that make photo sleeves for scrapbook albums.

SO the way it works is that all of these albums can hold either the photo sleeves with standard 4x6 photos (or anything that fits in those...for large photos I sometimes put them in a 12x12 sleeve with a peice of cardstock behind them to support them from flopping).

Then the same album can also hold finished scrapbook pages so you can mix and mingle your photos and layouts or do kind of like cover pages for them if you want. I also like to group my photos so that I might not fill all 6 spots on the photo sleeve, but instead if I have 3 photos that would go together on a future layout, I only put those in it and that way I am set when I do want to sb. Oh and it totally leaves room to plop a little 4x6 journal card in instead of a photo so you can at least add journaling info to all your photos really fast and not feel so overwhelmed.
Products Referenced in This Post:

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to riorabbit

I keep my photos both in photo boxes marked by YEAR (then separated monthly within the box), and any recently processed photos in the envelopes on my scrap table. The photos I want to scrap right away, I hang them above my work table to keep them in sight, in mind.

But before ANY printing is done, I organize them on my Mac according to date, and Shutterfly does a good job of printing the photos in the order that I upload them, so that's taken a lot of sorting stress out of the process!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-17-08 04:40 AM
In response to * Julie *

Have you checked out Stacey Julian's system?

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to Huskymom

I have all my photos in photo boxes, with dividers labeled with the event and date. That was mostly for when I was non-digi (though I am definitely guilty of over-printing digital photos). Now that I'm all digital, I use Picasa to organize.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to scrappyJedi

I forgot to mention how I organize my digital photos. I have them in a separate folder on my hard drive (and occasionally I back up to DVD). That folder is currently separated by 07 and 08. Then inside each folder I have folders labeled by date and event. I try to upload the pics off my camera soon after I take them. Whether I do anything else with them at that point is another story. Sometimes I order prints, sometimes I just admire the pics on the computer. LOL

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear
In response to CMLeach

• CMLeach Said:
Mine are in a photobox (except for some themed ones-- like all my Girl Scout years, etc.). I take an index card, fold it around the top of the photos and label what they are. Then they go chronologically into the box.

I basically do the same thing. I just use a a 5x7 piece of legal pad paper. I write the date and any little notes that will help me when it's time to scrap them.

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol
In response to MrsSugarBear

I try to keep all my photos in photo albums, the same way I had been doing it before I started scrapping. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there was no way I could scrap all the photos I take, so now when I order photos, I will order duplicates of the ones I know I want to scrap (or even think I might scrap), keep all the prints in chronological order in albums, and then keep the extras for scrapping in their envelopes -- with at least the month and year written on the outside of the envelope!

Good luck!

Tia Hokee
Diva
Tia Hokee
In response to tmmvol

I keep my photos in the Cropper Hopper photo case. I used index cards to separate the photos into categories. When I am going to attend a crop, I just take the photos that I will be working on with me, and leave the huge box behind.

Joda
Joda 
Guru
Joda
  • Joda on 07-17-08 10:13 AM
In response to Tia Hokee

My ultimate goal is to store all of them into albums (like riorabbit described!) but I needed something in the meantime because it will take me a little while to accumulate enough albums and page protectors needed. (It would be quite expensive to get them all at once!) Anyway, here are some photos from my gallery of how I store my negatives, and printed photos. Good luck!

Negative Storage *AFTER*
By Joda

Inside Photo Storage *AFTER*
By Joda

4x6 Photo Storage *AFTER*
By Joda

Oversized/professional pics Storage
By Joda

Large Photo Box Opened
By Joda

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Joda

I have a digital camera, so I sort them on the computer with year folders, month folders under that, and then event folders in each month.

When I get prints I immediately organize them into my scrapbooks...by that I mean I figure out how many pages it'll take up and then slip those pic's in the sleeves so even though I don't scrap chronologically I can see them that way and then the lo's are automatically organized chronologically when I complete them. Sometimes I'll journal a little and slip that in the sleeve as well.

That said, I didn't always have a digital camera, so I have those previous film prints organized similarly to Joda's pictures above. That took me awhile to organize. I altered the photo boxes too, so that was kind of fun.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics