Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New to sewing..        (Topic#1472437)
mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls

I just bought my first sewing machine. I am so excited on learning! I was wondering if any of you sewing queens can help me on something easy for beginners that I can start on?

Thanks!!

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls
In response to mOm23girls

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 07-22-08 03:02 PM

I am completely self taught sewer and the first project I ever sewed was a sun dress.

With that said. Have you ever sewed anything before??

WeeFaerie
Queen
WeeFaerie
In response to Bran

Aprons and pillows are super easy. They're a good place to start. Congrats on the new sewing machine!

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to WeeFaerie

Congratulations! I am pretty much self-taught too. My 14 year old DD learned when she was about 8, so if she can, I think you can!

You can probably google some simple directions for no pattern pillows, aprons, curtains, etc.

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls
In response to GreenDragonLady

Thanks girls! What are the basic things I need to get started with?

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady

Fabric (obviously!), good scissors, sharp pins, good quality thread (don't get really cheap stuff because it can shred and break and make lots of lint). You'll probably want an extra package of bobbins for your machine so you can have some wound and ready to go. Extra needles for your machine (if you're just using woven cotton or cotton blend you can just use "universal needles" you won't need specialty ones). If you're going to be doing any hand sewing to finish things you will want some hand needles and maybe a thimble as well. Tape measure.

If you want to get into quilting or even making home dec you might want to get a cutting mat, rotary cutter and acrylic ruler. Makes cutting long straight cuts easy.

That's all I can think of right now!

Edited by 6PackScrapper on 07-17-09 09:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

Pin cushion... I have one that is sooo full of pins, but I find I have a few projects going and it ends up empty. Then when none are going it is sooo overflowing. I love cute little things so I might *ahem* make or get another.

OMG...if you search on etsy there are some adorable pin cushions. They can be a super easy project to make for your first one too. I mean basically all you need is to make a mini pillow, but it can be fun to do in your own style.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by 6PackScrapper on 07-17-09 09:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 07-23-08 07:47 AM
In response to riorabbit

I say stict to the basics for your first time

Fabric, thread, sissors, a pattern would be nice and some straight pins. Oh and break out the iron. I would go a head and spend a little bit more money and get a simple wash out fabric marker for making marks from the pattern too. It will just make life easier

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls
In response to Bran

THanks! I am going to try to make a sundress. So for now I will get the basics like Fabric, sissors and a pattern. THanks girls! So is there anything else I should know? About how long will it take me to make a sundress? Does it really save you money on making say dresses then buying them?

blessedwifeandmommy
Veteran
blessedwifeandmommy
In response to Bran

i dont like the name but there are many patterns from the "...for dummies". i will add a link in case you dont know what i am talking about. you can find them at most crafting/sewing stores. i would also say parooz the major pattern websites... simplicity, butterick, mccalls. there are sooooo many free patterns online too.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewi ng...

this is a link for one of the dummy patterns that i remembered off the top of my head. i would not buy them online though. if you have a hancock or hobbylobby near you they often run them for $1.99 or even $.99... i never buy mine at full price, i cant stomach buying a pattern for 15 times the sale price

blessedwifeandmommy
Veteran
blessedwifeandmommy
In response to blessedwifeandmommy

i would say yes to the money thing... at first it will take a while to see much pay off. but i find that with each new item i make i get better, and faster. i am going to start a new thread on favorite pattern co's, if anyone would like to contribute

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady

It depends on the pattern. There are some "sewing for dummies" and "see n sew" type patterns that are easy. I think McCall's has some that are 2 hour patterns.

I think saving money is relative. If you want a one-time outfit that you will wear just once then give away or whatever, buying something inexpensive might be your best bet. If you want something that is your exact size, in your exact color and type of fabric you like, that you know will last a long time because you sewed it yourself and you will get a ton of wear out of it, then sewing it yourself will save you money.

Also if you ever get into sewing fancier things (like the dresses I sew for my DD) then you will save money there and you will have a one-of-a-kind item as well. My DD was the only girl at her dance with a tangerine dress! (her choice of color!)

For me it's the fun, relaxation and sense of accomplishment, not the money saving.

Hmmm...I do blather on, don't I?

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

I believe the money saving is relative as well...to be honest, in many ways it is cheaper to buy.

As a creative individaul that kind of has to create to be happy sometimes, it is a good hobby though. Compared with some of the other options for spending on supplies, this one at least has a more useful outcome.

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls
In response to riorabbit

I am not worried about the saving money part, I was just curious. I do want to learn to sew and see my girl wering things I actually made for them. I also want to teach them. Like scrapbooking I thinkg sewing is also a very threaputic hobby! Lord knows I need anything threaputic!!

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls

This weekend I am going to buy some of the things I need to get started!

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 07-23-08 10:12 PM

For me, personally. I would look at Joann's or where ever for easy to make patterns. It will say EASY or 1 hour on it or something.

Since it is your first it will take you longer than and hour for sure but at least it won't be like 5 weeks or something

Ok...now....saving money..if you want to do a cheap first project and test out your skills look for a discount fabric warehouse. We have one called SAS and I can go and get fabric for a buck a yard. Can't get cheaper than that! Other than that..No not really cheaper at first, what it is is...it allows you the possibility of having clothes or outfits you may not be able to buy or that may not fit you right or what ever. You can make what ever outfit, fit anything how you like it to be..

Speaking of which!! BEFORE you cut the pattern, the size on the pattern is not the same as the size number on your clothes normally. SO read the back of the pattern sleeve thing and see which size you are based on measurements and then test it by sort of holding it up to you BEFORE you cut it out and realize it isn't the right size and you screwed. THAN pin it to the fabric and cut. Pin the sides and test try them on before you sew them. Make sure they are going to fit you the way you want. Nothing worse then sewing a whole outfit you can't squeeze a butt check into and having to give it to your 6 yr old to wear (yeah I've done that!) or worse, it is so large you can fit the whole family in there

mOm23girls
Diva
mOm23girls
In response to Bran

LOL!! I don't want that to happen!! LOL! Another question. The sewing machine I bought is for beginners I bought it in a yard sale I got it for a really good price, it was NEVER used and I can tell everything was still in its original package. The only problem is no instruction!!! UUGGHH!!
So I am not sure I even have it threaded (if thats what you call it) right. I have used it on a layout I was working on today and it sewed it fine, the only problem was that every time I was done I would have to thread the thread through the needle. It get so fustrating!!! What am I doing wrong??

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady

What machine is it? Many times you can find the instructions books in a pdf file online.

When you say you have to thread the thread through the needle, do you mean when you start sewing the next time the thread comes out? When I stop sewing my seam, before I take off my project and cut the threads, I always turn the wheel a little until I start to see the needle come down just a tad. If I don't, and I haven't left enough of a thread tail coming from the needle, when I start sewing again the thread pops out because the sewing arm the thread goes through raises up and pulls the thread out.

Good point on pattern sizes, Bran! Definitely don't be discouraged about what size you have to buy. Many years ago the ready to wear sizes and the patterns sizes were the same. Over the years the designers have gone to "vanity sizing" but the pattern companies haven't changed. I wear a size 10 or so off the rack, but my pattern size is an 18!

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 07-24-08 06:52 AM

Amparo
1 - you can google the manual on line and read it there for free

2-I am going to assume that what is happening is that when you are done you have tension on the thread then you cut it and it is "bouncing back" kind of and coming out of the eye of the needle. Next time (do a test sew or something) when you finish, pull the fabric a good distance so that you have a your hands length of thread from the machine out. Give the thread slack so it is nice and loose and then cut it and see if that works.

Hey while I am talking about thread and finishing and all that. One more thing I wanted to tell you. When you do sew your project no matter what it is, your beginning stitch and your ending stitches...go forward, reverse, and forward again just about 3 stitches in length worth. understand?

Ok so you are sewing..whatever..you put the fabric under the foot, drop the foot, put your foot on the peddle and the needle starts to go..up down up down up down up. STOP. Hit reverse and go backwards down up down up down up. STOP now go forwards again and do your complete sewing job until it is time to stop. Then do the whole forward backward forward thing again. This makes it so that the thread doesn't un-thread during wear and washing and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics