Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: DCWV Papers Are Acid-Free        (Topic#1472439)
New Kid On the Block

Dear Customers,

I have received inquiries regarding our papers and want to ensure you that all DCWV paper products are acid-free and lignin-free. We continuously test and sample our papers for acid free pH levels to ensure that we are offering products that meet the acid-free requirements for archiving your memories in craft projects. Our testing is conducted using digital pH monitors as well as independent testing facilities. Although there are some inconsistencies in the standards that are required to claim acid-free or archival-safe, our products continue to meet the guidelines available. After an extensive study on pH levels and their effects on paper, we require that all of our paper products have a pH range between 6.5 and 8.5 and a lignin content of less than 1%. This range falls between The Library of Congress standards (7.5 to 10) and the CK/OK standards (6.5 to 8).

One of the best reports that I have read on acid-free standards is from HP. This report gives their findings on the current guidelines and also mentions scrapbooking and acid-free test pens specifically and provides some great insight. Please see below for their comments on pH test pens. For the full report, please visit: www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies /paper/images/acid_lign...

“Numerous tests by HP concluded that the most commonly available ‘pH test pens’ yielded conflicting results depending on the brand of the test pen. These tests also gave misleading information such as the indication that some coated papers contained acid when in fact they did not. If archivability standards were better defined and applied, consumers would only need to refer to the manufacturer’s specifications and not rely on third party suppliers.”

You may want to contact your pen manufacturer to obtain their pen specifications.

As one of the largest paper manufacturers in the craft industry, we consider the archival qualities of our papers and your crafts to be our highest priority. We ensure our paper products are acid-free and lignin-free.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jeremy Smith
Vice President of Sales
DCWV INC.
Jeremy@diecutsinc.com

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to Jeremysmith

Thank you for posting this!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Amigosa

I figured it was a problem with the pens!

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to Here Kitty

I am so happy, I was hoping it was another problem. Thank you!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to ShaylaCreations

I guessed the pens were to blame as well. Just not that accurate it seems!

Lydia S
Governor
Lydia S
In response to ShaylaCreations

Thanks so much for the update!

CaughtULokN2
Guru
CaughtULokN2
In response to Lydia S

Thank you so much for the information.
Thank you for taking the time to post on our forum Mr. Smith. It really shows that DCWV cares!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 07-22-08 03:29 PM
In response to CaughtULokN2

Thank you so much. As you know, our pages are important to us and DCWV are among the best out there!Thanks you for this information.

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to Bev1

That's cool 2 hear!

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to scrappinmylife

You know, that DCWV would send someone over here to post this really impresses me-- although I was almost 100% positive that DCVW papers were acid-free, just because I they are so wildly popular that if anyone had noticed that they weren't acid free, the company would have received so many complaints that they would have had to change their ways!

Okay, that's one incomprehensible sentence...

Yosemite
Resident
Yosemite
In response to Jeremysmith

Thank you so much !!!!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to annoniemous

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us! That is customer service!

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to Babylou

that's a relief cause i DCWV

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn
In response to Babylou

Dear Jeremy, THANKS for taking the time to post this. DCWV really cares! susan a

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to riverroadrn

ok, well, that's interesting. I'll have to contact the manufacturer of my pen (I have a Lineco pen, which is marketed to museums, libraries, etc.) to find out at what pH level it tests acidic - it might be that anything below 7.0 or in that area will test acidic. My Lineco pH pen has always been one of my most trusted tools, and this particular paper (DCWV neutral stack) is the only paper that's supposed to be acid-free that has ever tested acidic with it.

ETA: From an archival supplies website (not allowed to link here; PM me if you want the link), product info for Lineco pH testing Pen: "The chlorophenol red indicator solution in the pen will turn purple on any paper with a pH of 6.8 and above. A clear or yellow color indicates the material is probably unsuitable for conservation purposes. Paper can be respectably long lived if is pH is as low as 6.0, especially if is well made and carefully used and stored. In order to last for centuries in today's polluted air, it must have an alkaline reserve and this usually means a pH of 7.0 or greater."
So if the DCWV paper is as low as 6.5, as Jeremy says, it will still last pretty well but will test as acidic with my particular pen. Note: I didn't test the colored, coated surface; I tore the cardstock to expose the white core and tested that, so color, coating, exposure to skin acids, etc. had no bearing on the results.

E(again!)TA: Given this information, I'm comfortable with returning my DCWV neutral cardstock to my scrapbook stash. Which I'm happy about because I love the colors.

Edited by animemama on 07-22-08 04:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to animemama

hmmmm..

My pH pen has a scale on it, at 6.5, the marker would still have registered green or even greenish. DCWV CS turned bright yellow in 5 seconds.

"The Neutral 7 is a marker that identifies the acidity of paper, gessoed canvas, stickers and textile products. When a high acid content is present, a bright yellow to yellow orange will appear. Lime green to dark green is ideally acid free and safe for scrapbooking."

I dont know what to think.

stefanyb123
Expert
stefanyb123
In response to animemama

I'm glad to see you post here, but on the other site I posted this about my thread was deleted!!!!!!!! After the company complained. All it was was a link to the thread here, and no one falsely said anything. I think that's a bunch of ********, are we not supposed to question a large company? Remember, it wasn't this site, sb.com wouldn't do such a thing.

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to stefanyb123

• stefanyb123 Said:
I'm glad to see you post here, but on the other site I posted this about my thread was deleted!!!!!!!! After the company complained. All it was was a link to the thread here, and no one falsely said anything. I think that's a bunch of ********, are we not supposed to question a large company? Remember, it wasn't this site, sb.com wouldn't do such a thing.

They deleted the original thread from sb.com too. I guess that's that.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to stefanyb123

Is it possible that the batch specifically referenced is not acid free and that the manufacturer slipped something by DCWV? If it can happen with pet food and toys who's to say it couldn't happen with paper. Does DCWV test every batch from the Chinese manufacturers? I know that when dealing with oversea's manufacturers companies have to be very stringent in their testing. I know CM has had problems with some stuff and has had to delay things for this reason. I would feel better about the thread being deleted and the company response if they actually would test the batch that seems to be a problem.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to CorrieW

• CorrieW Said:
Is it possible that the batch specifically referenced is not acid free and that the manufacturer slipped something by DCWV? If it can happen with pet food and toys who's to say it couldn't happen with paper. Does DCWV test every batch from the Chinese manufacturers? I know that when dealing with oversea's manufacturers companies have to be very stringent in their testing. I know CM has had problems with some stuff and has had to delay things for this reason.

I thought of that too.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics