Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Tools and More Tools?        (Topic#1472865)
ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign

Hi Everyone...

I am sure many people have posed this question but I am going to throw it back out there again. I have looked at all the beginning scrapbook articles including what you will need to start and I have found everything I have read to be most informative. I have an issue though and I am hoping you all can help me.

There is a very wide selection of tools out there made by many different brands, brands of which I am not too familar with, and I am wondering what tools are a must have for any scrapbooker? Which brand offers the best solutions for someone on a budget? I am not really looking for the most expensive or the absolute best on the market but I am wondering what you guys use and why. What is your favorite tool and are combination tools better than buying seperates for every occassion? Is there a tool kit I can not live without in your opinion or do you favor a brand and why?

I am asking because as a computer technician your tools are important and buying the right tool is even more important. I wouldn't want to buy a magnetized screwdriver to work on a computer it would be very, very bad for me and the computer.

I also find that people tend to go with a brand they like for whatever reason and since I don't have a clue about the brands it is hard to know what will fit and what won't. So to make a long question short I was hoping maybe some of you could tell me what you are using and why, what you might recommend, and anything else you might find important on this topic. To help I thought I would include some of the things I have been looking at.

Thanks,

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol
In response to ImForwardByDesign

Of the things you referenced in the post, I have the Making Memories Tool Kit (an earlier version) and do not have any of those other tools, and within that, use my paper piercer more than anything else. I do think the MM Tool Kit was a good investment.

A good 12x12 papertrimmer is a must. I have the Cutterpede, but am considering Purple Cows .

Scissors. Sharp ones. LOL I have some made by Fiskars , but again, am considering adding the CutterBees.

I have a decent variety of different colored pens, but could live with only a fine-tip black Sharpie most of the time.

Adhesive, and some variety. I use the Tombo Mono primarily, but also love Glue Dots for different things.

If you use rub-ons, I highly recommend the Basic Grey rub on tool, but it is not a necessity to scrap.

Like you said, it is mainly a matter of preference on a lot of things... and your style; what you will or won't use.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to tmmvol

Hi Tara,

Thank you for your reply and it looks like you and I might think alike.

The Making Memories Tool Kit II has caught my eye from day one and I have been keeping my wishlist updated. I just bought a paper piercer today so no more using my largest needle and my house needlenose pliers... thank goodness.

I could use some sharper scissors and I hadn't considered that...lol.. but you have me thinking. Better scissors and a better trimmer would be very nice.

One of the glues I use is the Tombo Mono Aqua glue and I love it. I have been considering Glue Dots as well but am playing with some other glues first. Everyone seems to love the Glue Dots so I figured since they are a little more expensive than other adhesives I would use them for my more important projects... Right now I am building a dummy project to learn.

A rub on tool also seemed like a good investment and I have one scoped out at the local scrapbook store but I can not remember the brand.

Mostly it is nice to know that with all the selection of tools out there you don't need to own them all. For a moment I was looking at everything and getting really overwhelmed. When you aren't sure it is very hard to know and I am always open for suggestion. My other thought was to buy items I can re-use over and over again for certain things to keep the budget open for other items you just can't live without. Now I only have to figure out what that all means in the grander scheme of things. Keep it simple seems to be the rule of thumb.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions and if you think of anything else I am all ears.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Glue Dots aren't really that expensive for what you get. Especially if you wait until adhesives are half off at places like Hobby Lobby.

IMO don't waste your money on the BG Notch die cut thing. Nobody I know that has one likes it. I really like my crop a dile, it's the BEST for punching through chipboard, plastics, thin metals, etc and of course you can set eyelets easily with it as well.

I've used the Shape Boss and wasn't a huge fan. It was ok, but just not something I'd need to have.

The only tools I use ALL the time are my 12x Pink Fiskars paper trimmer and my trusy cutterbee scissors along with good adhesives like Glue Dots and 3L EZ Runner s or Tombo ws. Anything else is just a bonus

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol

(Weird, part of my post got eaten... but I was talking about tools that I have that I find helpful, but aren't essential -- my xyron X, my Sizzix, my Fastenator, my Coluzzle....)

For the most part, I am happy with them, but they aren't "must haves". (I really do like my Sizzix, though, and for more than just scrapping!)

I have heard good things about the Crop-o-dile and considered it, as well, but don't do a lot of brads -- sort of a end-around situation, because maybe if I had the cropodile, I'd use more brads...

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world with a Cricut (gasp! oh, the humanity!), and sure, I'd like to have one, but not having one isn't keeping me from doing what I'm doing.

Now if you are planning on submitting loads of layouts for publication, etc., then you may need to upgrade tools, but otherwise, don't feel like you need to own every thing, or every new product/tool.

To me, that is the beautiful thing about scrapbooking, because the real essentials list is small -- album, paper, adhesive, scissors, photo, pen, memory. The rest is just details!

Edited by tmmvol on 07-25-08 03:08 PM. Reason for edit: part of my post eaten! :)

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to Here Kitty

I'll have to look more closely at the Glue Dots ... maybe my thinking has been flawed. The packages just look so small but to be honest I haven't looked very closely at them to even know what it is I would be getting. Okay I have learned my lesson look before you leap otherwise you might fall off the lillypad.

I don't plan to make a profession out of this by any means... I am already knee deep in the one I have now... ROTFLOL ... but like any good boy scout I want to be prepared. Or maybe it is the fear of spending money on something I will hate. I really just want to keep my options open and be able to add a little variety to my technique and style.

I am still trying to figure out what everything is for and recommendations do help. If you mention it, I will learn about it, and that makes for a better trip when it comes to deciding what I want to put in my tool kit.

Thank you again... I am enjoying meeting and chatting.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous

A trimmer is a must have. I love my Making Memories trimmer, but it is pricey ($50) and huge for a beginner. On the other hand, my Making Memories Tool Kit (I have the original, the Tool Kit II is even better) is a most have for me.

The top five tools I reach for most:

Making Memories craft knife
BIC ultra fine black pen
Technique Tuesday black ink pad
my BasicGrey precision file kit
my cutting mat (though it's already on my desk, so I don't have to reach for it... I got the cheap one from the quilting second at Walmart but I am dying for the BasicGrey precision cutting mat)

Vintage Beginnings
Expert
Vintage Beginnings

Have and love the Making Memories tools (older version and holding up wonderfully).

Crop a dial is great ( I just updated to the big bite version) do you want to be able to punch holess etc. in the middle of your pages?

I do not have the self healing mat you have shown, but I do know someone who has it and she loves it.

Invest in a good sturdy rotary cutter

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Vintage Beginnings

I don't have any of the products you've featured here actually.

But I can offer a few opinions here...

A Straight Edge trimmer is of course one of the most basic necessities IMO. You may already have this one though. I have a personal preference for the very portable versions like Fiskars (had an old version of these until I started getting crooked cuts) and a Creative Memories version (but it is starting to have blade issues). I can't really make a specific brand recommendation in other words.

Otherwise, sharp scissors are another need. I like the Cutter Bee scissors a lot! I use them all the time now.

Another recommendation I have is for the Zig Writer markers for journaling and doodling etc. Each has two tips - a fine and a little broader one so they are little more versatile than some of the others. I would probably just recommend a few colors of these... not a whole collection to start with anyway.

Also, I have a cutting mat... and do like using it. My particular one is CM, but I am unaware of huge differences in this type of product from brand to brand.

And I do have the xyron 150, and xyron 505. Both of these I use quite a bit. I think the smaller one is especially helpful in applying tiny/small pieces of paper to a project.

And finally I will also agreed that Glue Dots would be a wise purchase. I have not used that particular brand but something like it and found that the right type will secure heavier items nicely when other adhesives cannot.

I guess I could go on and on. Hope I have been of some help though.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to KatieJo

welcome to the site. The best one for the rub ons is the Basic Grey one,In my opinion.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to DivaDana

This is awesome... I am so glad I asked because I keep finding more and more of the things I wanted to be able to do and the tools that will help me do it.

I didn't even know some of these suggestions were out there. I have to say there isn't much of a selection where I live and finding things has been interesting. This web site and everyone on it is so helpful to me I just can't soak it up fast enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you again. I can't tell you how grateful I am really.

So the Glue Dots could hold on my bigger and heavier items like Buttons and Old Copper Rings. I just did a page I struggled to find the right adhesive for... I went through everything I had... I even broke out the glue gun and still struggled... Crazy, I have got to get Glue Dots it is settled. I guess I imagine this dot of glue and wondered if it didn't stick out like a sore thumb but as many people use them the thought in my mind is wrong. I need to get some and just go for it.

Okay now I have to ask Saquartey... I have seen a lot of ink pads, and since you mentioned I needed a black one, is this soley for stamping or can it be used in other ways? I am sure this is a very silly question but I keep seeing the ink pads and not in the same place as the stamps so it had me thinking and I haven't run across the answer yet. If anyone else has an idea let me know.

Hannah S
Expert
Hannah S

A paper trimmer is a must, I use mine every time I scrap. Glue Dots or Therm-O-Web Zots are great even for heavier embellishments! Also ZIG 2-way glue pens. It depends on what all you like and your style, but having a good paper trimmer and great adhesive is a great start! Happy Scrappin'!

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol
In response to Hannah S

Nici,
I do some stamping occassionally, but mainly I use my ink pads for "distressing" the edges of some of my paper. You can rub the ink pad on the edge of a cut or tear of paper, or even on the edge of a photo to make it stand out a little bit more. It can make a big difference in the layout, but often is one of those things that you wouldn't know what it was about the layout...

For example, in this layout, I ran an ink pad along the edges of the patterned paper , around the journal box at the bottom, and around the edge of the light brown photo mat at the top. It is a little thing, but stands out. (I'm not saying this is a prime example, but it is one I have...LOL)
Kitty By Tmmvol

Right now, loads of people are in love with Tim Holtz Distressing Inks... I have about three of those myself and really like them. They sell them in the Superstore here, and I found some at Hobby Lobby for half-price last week!

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to tmmvol

Thanks Tara... I have seen distressing mentioned and it was not clicking in my brain. It does make sense though now that you explain it. I also think your layout is wonderful and of course it would be a great example. I'll have to try this technique out pretty soon because I think I have the perfect page for it.

I wish we had a Hobby Lobby here... I would be in hog heaven. To find one of those I have to drive 150 miles to Billings, MT. Here we only have a Wal-Mart Super Center, and all that really means is they added groceries, and the crafts department is yarn and fabric. I actually have to go to the hardware store for my supplies but at least they have two ilses, it is better than one. I actually came across scrapbook.com because I was looking for supplies online and this was the first link at the top. I thought it was just a store until I got to looking more. I am glad I was paying attention that day.

I think what I am going to have to do is just try to keep a list of things and each time I do get to Billings (once every 2-3 months) stop at the Hobby Lobby and pick everything up and then if I need something simple there is always the hardware store.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

hm... here's what I go for most:

* Fiskars rotary blade trimmer (I have a really old one from Michael's- we're talking at least 10 years old)
*exacto pen knife (I want a Fiskars fingertip one tho)
* xyron X for adhering little die cuts and ribbon and that sort of stuff
*red duck adhesive runner
* Fiskars coastal scissors (Joann's sewing section) but should probably get some cutterbees since they're better at getting into the little areas
*LOVE my Bone Folder (not necessary but nice to get crisp fold lines)
*Gelly Roll pens for journaling
*Prismacolor water color pencils w/a ZIG water brush for "painting" with.
*Quilters ruler- just added this- it's clear so I can get a nice line exactly where I want it.
* Fiskars self healing quilting mat (SUPER LARGE- I think it's like 24x24)

A die cutter is nice but NOT necessary if you have a great pair of scissors, a good printer, and patience to cut stuff out. I have the Sizzix family (old red, Big Shot, Sidekick) and really like them but if I were starting over I'd probably go with an electronic cutter like the Wishblade /silhouette and not be limited to size and what I can cut. I do like the sizzix cutters for the fact that they can cut pretty much everything (foam, fabric, magnet, cork, thin metal, plastic) our there. I also use my sizzix for smashing things flat, like bottle caps (it voids the warranty tho!).

Stuff I use when I'm stamping but didn't have when I started scrapping so I don't consider it necessary (unless you like to stamp stuff)
*perfect medium ink pad and pens for embossing powders- they're clear and stay sticky for a bit so you have time to add powders
*Darice heat gun (it's blue and fairly cheap and works great at removing labels as well!)
*staz-on black ink pad for surfaces other inks don't stick to

Stuff other people like that I have no use for:
*rub ons of any sort (they just don't work for me)
*distressing inks/powders
*alcohol inks (haven't really gotten a chance to use them)
*brads- don't like having holes in my paper
*eyelets- same as brads- sometimes I will use them for threading ribbon thru but they're not me
*crop a dile- I have one and use it just for punching holes in stuff that is too thick for a normal punch.

Sorry this is so long- but you wanted info! LOL

Edited by seaexplore on 07-26-08 09:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Seaexplore

I'm surprised your Walmart doens't have scrappy stuff, all the Walmarts in the towns I've lived in have had a LOT!

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to Here Kitty

Yeah I have been looking at the provo craft bone folder thinking that would be pretty slick... then maybe my fingers wouldn't be twenty different colors all at once and my creases would be sharper. I definately want to get the black ink pad and try some distressing techniques out. I have been looking at the die tools too because I want to start using eyelets and things. I have done stamping before and I am not sure if I want to try it again so I am still thinking about that one. The Sizzix's stuff will have to wait though because there are so many things I want first... I don't know if that is a mistake but I need to start out small and then I think I will look into the bigger stuff after I get a handle on the little stuff. You really flatten out bottle tops? That is pretty cool but I can see why it would void the warenty.

Eron - Or Mr. ImForwardByDesign - would like me to take it a little easy for now, as he puts it, because he doesn't want to make purchases that just sit on a shelf. I am driving him crazy I think... He means well though.

I have to go get groceries today so I will check out Wal-Mart again to see if I can locate the scrap stuff. It would be nice if I could. I need a few things today and I don't think the hardware store has what I am looking for. If I had been a year earlier we had a local owned scrap store downtown but she went out of business pretty quickly. Shoulda Coulda Woulda...

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Amy posted a while back (before the got her silhouette) that she hand cut all kinds of stuff for her LO's! Talk to her about what's needed- I think she'd know!

Instead of a bone folder I think people also use a credit card or something of the sort. I like my bone folder for all kinds of things- pushing out the air bubbles when I'm doing mod podge is one of my favorite uses (just clean it RIGHT AWAY) but it's really made for getting clean creases on cards and such.

I do use my sizzix to flatten bottle caps but it can't be the big shot- it has to be the original red machine because it's a pull down presser kind not a roller kind. I even bought a second one for $15 when my J's was clearing them out "just in case" my original bit the dust!

Greg- A.K.A.- Mr.Seaexplore also has problems with my spending at the moment since we're living off my teacher's income. I'm on a VERY tight budget at the moment- glad I got all my tools and supplies a while ago when we had money from 2 incomes!

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv

mmm the things I feel I MUST have are a good pair of scissors, (I have cutter bees) an exacto knife, a cutting mat, a paper trimmer, and a tombro adhesive runner. everything else I can improvise.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• seaexplore Said:
Amy posted a while back (before the got her silhouette) that she hand cut all kinds of stuff for her LO's! Talk to her about what's needed- I think she'd know!

good memory!

Yep, I still do cut out stuff sometimes, just depends on the look I want.
You can print out titles on your printer using cool fonts and cut them out instead of using stamps. You can make your own text boxes on your computer as well and do some pretty fun stuff with just basic software. I don't have a printer anymore (boo hoo!) and I miss doing all that!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics