Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Rhinestones        (Topic#1473137)
a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13

I was just wondering how many people use rhinestones on their layouts. I was thinking of using them on a layout I'm working on.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to a_bowen13

I do. I use lots of different stuff...not just stuff labeled for scrapping. Even used a pop top from a soda can once
I say go for it!

renee1
renee1 
Guru
renee1
In response to Kim222

yup i use rhinestones on ALL my layouts every page has some kind of bling to it

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to renee1

I LOVE using them! I used 'em for the first time on my mom's grandma brag book and am TOTALLY hooked!

Kylie w/added BLING! By Seaexplore

It's entered in July Bling Challenge and July See Through Challenge

catwil
catwil 
Guru
catwil
In response to Seaexplore

Absolutely! I love em! I am fairly new at using them, but I am getting addicted!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to catwil

yep, I use a ton of em!

Noggyn@y
Tenant
Noggyn@y
In response to Here Kitty

I luv what they do for a project and use them all the time.

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to Noggyn@y

How do you guys usually adhere these to a LO? What are your recomendations? I personally use a glue stick for my LOs but am interested in trying new adhesives.

kiwiholly
Expert
kiwiholly
In response to a_bowen13

Absolutely. I love them. Definitely worth a try.

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk
In response to kiwiholly

I love all things bling. I use tons of rhinestones/jewels.

I usually buy the self-adhesive ones. I had some jewels by Queen & Co. that weren't and I just used a small glue dot. You could probably use a liquid glue like KI gloo (dries clear) or Diamond Glaze , but not one like the ZIG Glue pen.

I don't think a glue stick would hold very well.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to susanlk

glue sticks can barely hold paper on after a while, they won't work for rhinestones long term.
I like to use mini Glue Dots , really works well. I also use dots of liquid glue (I like Glossy Accents or Tombo w)to stick them in place.

I would advise you not to use glue sticks at all really. After a few years, the glue turns brittle and things start to just fall apart. My early books (10+ years old) need to be redone where I used glue sticks!

Edited by Here Kitty on 07-28-08 06:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to Here Kitty

I love bling!!! I use Heidi Swapp 's Scrappy Glue it dries clear and it works really well...

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Renee77

I used gem tac to keep mine on the clear stuff- Glue Dots were too big as the stones were 3mm and the only Glue Dots I could find were larger than that.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

I love using rhinestones. I often go to the fabric/jewelry section and buy them in bags. I like different colors, sizes, and shapes and will use them all. If they are large enough, I attach them with mini Glue Dots . Otherwise, KI gloo works really well.

I agree with Amy about the glue sticks. I have not tried them myself, but I've read several reviews saying not to use them for the same reason she outlined. For a general adhesive to put pics to my paper and so forth, I love Tombo . I found a site where I can get it for less than $3 per refill, so I buy in bulk.

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13

Well, when a glue stick is all you have, you have to roll with that.
I will soon be using Dab-N-Seal paper adhesive. It's acid free and it holds better but I'm waiting on that to come in the mail.

melilou
Guru
melilou
In response to a_bowen13

I'm more than a little addicted to rhinestones right now... and stickles... I've got a thing for bling I guess...
I usually use mini Glue Dots , but I have it from a good source that my favorite tape runner Kokuyo will work in a pinch too.

babynme8
Expert
babynme8
In response to melilou

I actually just started using them a few weeks ago on a birthday projects for a friend. I had know idea of how to attach them and had an unopened bottle of KI Gloo and tried it out and it worked perfectly. I'm glad to hear that I did it right on my first try. Watch out though they are addictive! I have boys and cant use them as much as I'd like but trust me I'm sticking them everywhere!
Products Referenced in This Post:

AmandaSue24
Resident
AmandaSue24
In response to babynme8

i use the self adhering ones from hobby lobby

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to AmandaSue24

Oh man, now I wanna start using them :). I agree with staying away from glue sticks. I made an album 3 years ago using glue sticks because that was all I could afford. Last year I had to completely redo all of the adhesive because it came apart. Glue sticks just don't last.

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to llprncess3

next month, i will try to get a different adhesive. i went a lil over my 40 budget this month so i had to say no to adhesive. my paper storage box was more important at the moment. lol. glue is no good without paper.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics