Username Post: Blackboard question?        (Topic#1473627)
Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey

Okay so I am starting a mini album on one of the Cosmo Cricket blackboard albums.... I am not planning on covering it with paper or anything - it is for a wedding gift - (the wedding colors are black, soft pink and silver) I want something to use on the black board to give it a little shimmer - not an overall covered look... just something to dress up the FLAT finish it has. I don't want something that will stand out too much just help the overall look.

I know there are the different mists and such - like glimmer mist and I know Maya Road has come out with a mist too...

I need to know if any of you have tried just a light coat of one of these shimmery mists (I would need a really light pink or silver) and if you had some suggestions or tips... any other products that you might suggest?

Edited by Mama of a monkey on 07-30-08 10:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to Mama of a monkey

Hmmmm... Could you take some Diamond Glaze and mix it with a little bit of metallic or pearly paint and use a sheer coat of that over the blackboard?

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey
In response to ScrapperSara22

ooh I hadn't thought of that... hmmmm.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22

DUH! I have a few bottles of glimmer mist, I'll go play for you real quick on some black scrap paper. BRB.

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey

Oh thank you Sara!!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22

OK I attached which bottles I have in the colors you described and tried two techniques. One was once I sprayed I would rub it in a little with a paper towel and the second I just did a straight spray. Anytime I rubbed it, most of the color and shimmer would go away, but if I sprayed it, I would get a really spotty looking texture, where the inks kind of pooled together.

The pearl almost made the black look really dark grey/graphite with a tiny sparkle. The pinks didn't show up much, but they did provide just a bit of sparkle... I'm not sure it would be worth it for the album you're working on to do all of the pages this way. BUT, I will say I love my glimmer mists, so even if you buy a couple and don't end up using them for this project, I'm sure you will for another!

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey

Sara thank you soo much for testing those out for me! I think I will buy some anyway - like you said even if I don't use them for this album.... I will use them for something else - I may even use the for this album just not on the original idea for it.

Thanks again!

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey

Okay - so I finally figured out what I am doing to make the black chipboard have a little more zing to it.

I put a light layer of the Glossy Mod Podge (I wanted the new shimmery kind that they have come out with but none of the local stores had it - and I don't have time to wait for it to come in the mail )

after the mod podge dried I used this clear coat stuff that has just a touch of glitter in it.... It is exactly what I wanted! Once the project is finished I will post it - though I don't know if a photo will do that glittery finish justice

Thanks for the help!

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid

• Mama of a monkey Said:
Okay - so I finally figured out what I am doing to make the black chipboard have a little more zing to it.

I put a light layer of the Glossy Mod Podge (I wanted the new shimmery kind that they have come out with but none of the local stores had it - and I don't have time to wait for it to come in the mail )

after the mod podge dried I used this clear coat stuff that has just a touch of glitter in it.... It is exactly what I wanted! Once the project is finished I will post it - though I don't know if a photo will do that glittery finish justice

Thanks for the help!

I was going to suggest that.

hdsue
hdsue 
Guru
hdsue
  • hdsue on 08-09-08 03:00 PM
In response to lilmrmaid

ive yet to be impressed with glimmer spray..i keep trying but just not happening

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics